The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

I heard from someone who was at the SMiSA meeting last night that the club made a 7 figure loss last season.

I won’t receive accounts until Nov/Dec this year so it might not be true.

Was anyone at this meeting that can confirm this story as it was relayed to me this morning.

Worrying if true given we received significant compensation for McGrath and Goodwin.

4 minutes ago, SuperSaints1877 said:

I heard from someone who was at the SMiSA meeting last night that the club made a 7 figure loss last season.

I won’t receive accounts until Nov/Dec this year so it might not be true.

Was anyone at this meeting that can confirm this story as it was relayed to me this morning.

Worrying if true given we received significant compensation for McGrath and Goodwin.

I was also told this by someone who was at the meeting last night. They estimated a £1.2m loss apparently, which I would find staggering especially considering we brought in a transfer fee for McGrath and compensation for Goodwin.

We've always been run very close to break even and I can't think of any particular reason why we'd have been so far over budget last season.

1 hour ago, Div said:

I was also told this by someone who was at the meeting last night. They estimated a £1.2m loss apparently, which I would find staggering especially considering we brought in a transfer fee for McGrath and compensation for Goodwin.

We've always been run very close to break even and I can't think of any particular reason why we'd have been so far over budget last season.

Fucking hell. That's not great at all. 😐 

Is it the Covid season catching up, maybe? It certainly doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

1 minute ago, tam the bud said:

If the million plus number was right and i don't think it can be, who would it be owned to  ?

Believe we don't have an overdraft facility at the bank to it won't be them. 

Probably Kibble.

Is the reported loss anything to do with the covid loans from the Scottish Government? IIRC they were at 0% (or pretty close to being free money) so every club would be daft not to use this to re-finance their established credit lines? 

Mibbies.  I think this will end up being another non-story. 

3 hours ago, tam the bud said:

If the million plus number was right and i don't think it can be, who would it be owned to  ?

Believe we don't have an overdraft facility at the bank to it won't be them. 

Loans are liabilities. They go on a balance sheet. 

If you're reporting a loss, that's operational and is on the P&L. 

If you made an operating loss in the period that could be quite bad news but without the detail it's impossible to say whether it's a crisis. 

Maybe it's true and we lost £1,200,000  in the space of a few months. It's just, this story has appeared on here, regular as clockwork, every time we've had a couple of bad results since Gordon Scott took over. It's picked up more pace since the Kibble came on board, and it's been utter bollocks every single time. Who knows, maybe finally these guys are right and we really are fucked.

28 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Loans are liabilities. They go on a balance sheet. 

If you're reporting a loss, that's operational and is on the P&L. 

If you made an operating loss in the period that could be quite bad news but without the detail it's impossible to say whether it's a crisis. 

We certainly need to wait to see the accounts. I’m only going on what someone told me. I’d have expected to see a loss during the covid shutdown season as there were significant costs associated with covid testing and additional transportation. All clubs faced loss of income from hospitality and sponsorship.

This loss (if true) was during the first full season back.

Would be good to hear from someone who was in attendance last night.

10 hours ago, Div said:

Wasnt Mr. fitzy saying that Goodwin was the highest paid manager you've ever had and had assembled the most expensive squad in the club's history? Even giving that, £1.2m with money coming in is an eye watering amount. 

Off topic anaw so in spoilers 

Spoiler

I (think) I was speaking to a boy from Elgin that met you in Mexico through the week. It was all very surreal how it come about!

9 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

Wasnt Mr. fitzy saying that Goodwin was the highest paid manager you've ever had and had assembled the most expensive squad in the club's history? Even giving that, £1.2m with money coming in is an eye watering amount. 

Off topic anaw so in spoilers 

Hide contents

I (think) I was speaking to a boy from Elgin that met you in Mexico through the week. It was all very surreal how it come about!

A fair few rumours have been flying about that Fitzpatrick and Goodwin made a right Noel Hunt of the budget.