The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

6 hours ago, Lex said:

Can you see Ayunga getting 12 goals in his first season with us, like Obika did?

Yes. I think I can. There is clearly something about him. I recall Obika being written of at the start of his time with us too

57 minutes ago, Insaintee said:

Yes. I think I can. There is clearly something about him. I recall Obika being written of at the start of his time with us too

There's always a section of our fans (and fans of all clubs) that write players off too soon. I think that Obika quickly became a fans favourite though. Some people may have written him off but I think the majority took to him.

It's early days for Ayunga, we've seen a couple of pre season Peles (Calum Ball springs to mind) who turn out to be rotten when the league season starts, so I certainly wouldn't be writing him off just yet.

On 20/07/2022 at 09:37, Stu said:

At least he didn't try to play things down in his interview and admitted we were pish. Sounds like he told the players as much too.

Dunno if it's the early start or the group stage but I'm not overly fussed about the group stage, however I can't deny I'm getting a bit worried. Robinson has put such an emphasis on being ready for the Motherwell game that the pressure will really be on if we don't get off to a good start, especially after the horrendous form after he took over last season. 

The group stage makes it harder to see the simple fact - we're out of one of the two competitions we have any chance of winning - two weeks before the Paisley Fair.

2 minutes ago, Bobby_F said:

The group stage makes it harder to see the simple fact - we're out of one of the two competitions we have any chance of winning - two weeks before the Paisley Fair.

Agree. The group stage of the League Cup is an absolute joke in my opinion. Outwith the two disproportionally large clubs in our small country, the rest of us can only harbour dreams of lifting either the League or Scottish Cups at Hampden. Doing so gives you lifelong memories…. and open top buses, parades, a DVD, merchandise, and eleven men who will forever be cup winning legends. Even if they bugger off to manage Aberdeen.

It’s the same for everyone outwith the European clubs, we need to at least negotiate a way out of the group to stand a chance of another ‘2013’. To not even make it out of a group where the strongest opponent is Arbroath, at home, AND with a game still to play, is absolute shite from this St Mirren team and management. IMHO, even if IMHO doesn’t really need added. 

19 hours ago, houston_bud said:

There's always a section of our fans (and fans of all clubs) that write players off too soon. I think that Obika quickly became a fans favourite though. Some people may have written him off but I think the majority took to him.

It's early days for Ayunga, we've seen a couple of pre season Peles (Calum Ball springs to mind) who turn out to be rotten when the league season starts, so I certainly wouldn't be writing him off just yet.

Nah, Obika was given absolute peters at the start of his saints career. It took him about 8 or 9 games to get his first goal (an overhead kick, I'm sure!) for a team that were on a horrendous run up to then, with fans already calling for the managers head as well. It clicked after that and he started scoring fairly regularly.

Was going to give Saturday a miss after watching the Airdrie game. Have had a change of mind and bought a ticket for Saturday.  Will be extremely disappointed if we don't see the team that will face Motherwell our strongest 111 available with our sleeves rolled up. No disrespect to Edinburgh City we need to see if the team has woken up to a unacceptable departure from the League cup. 

13 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

Will be extremely disappointed if we don't see the team that will face Motherwell our strongest 111 available

Ah the old 40 30 30 

11 goalkeepers obviously for those who'll pick up on the maths.

2 hours ago, GAD said:

Nah, Obika was given absolute peters at the start of his saints career. It took him about 8 or 9 games to get his first goal (an overhead kick, I'm sure!) for a team that were on a horrendous run up to then, with fans already calling for the managers head as well. It clicked after that and he started scoring fairly regularly.

Obika got an absolutely mental amount of abuse in the 2-2 v Hibs in the February of 2020. 

Some folk who I genuinely thought were reasonable turned in to absolute morons attacking the guy that day.

35 minutes ago, SS77 said:

Obika got an absolutely mental amount of abuse in the 2-2 v Hibs in the February of 2020. 

Some folk who I genuinely thought were reasonable turned in to absolute morons attacking the guy that day.

Aye, some of our fans have very selective and short term memories when it comes to this stuff.

There was a TV game against Aberdeen around that time where Obika hit the post when he should probably have scored and I heard someone saying that was why Danny Mullen shouldn't be on the bench

Edited by Stu

I remember Billy Stark getting abuse back in the day cos he was lazy. He was a midfielder and yet no St Mirren striker has ever scored more since

Which brings me to Michael Higdon. I remember his hat trick against Accies in a relegation crunch. After his second, he ran towards the dugout in celebration and the guy next to me shouted “aye, keep running down the tunnel”

After his third, he muttered “I’ll let you off this week”

32 minutes ago, Captain Saintsible said:

I remember Billy Stark getting abuse back in the day cos he was lazy. He was a midfielder and yet no St Mirren striker has ever scored more since

Which brings me to Michael Higdon. I remember his hat trick against Accies in a relegation crunch. After his second, he ran towards the dugout in celebration and the guy next to me shouted “aye, keep running down the tunnel”

Ha ha. My old man always brings him up as a former Dons scapegoat. Said he was arguing with folk about him every week.

Edited by Merkland Red

Just now, Merkland Red said:

Ha ha. My old man always brings him up as a former D ok na scapegoat. Said he was arguing with folk about him every week.

Ha! It’s good to know that Dons were as bad as our lot. Billy Stark was the main focal point of the Saints boo boys

Yet he’s our 2nd top scorer since the war and he’s a midfielder (behind Tommy Gemmell)

Frank McDougall was another target. How was he received in Aberdeen? 

It’s incredible to think, looking back now, that Stark and McDougall would be boo boy targets ……

1 minute ago, Captain Saintsible said:

Ha! It’s good to know that Dons were as bad as our lot. Billy Stark was the main focal point of the Saints boo boys

Yet he’s our 2nd top scorer since the war and he’s a midfielder (behind Tommy Gemmell)

Frank McDougall was another target. How was he received in Aberdeen

It’s incredible to think, looking back now, that Stark and McDougall would be boo boy targets ……

Only ever heard good things. I've seen plenty highlights but injury ended his career fair too soon.

Imagine players like that coming through at St Mirren now? Gone before they reach the first team.

16 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Only ever heard good things. I've seen plenty highlights but injury ended his career fair too soon.

Imagine players like that coming through at St Mirren now? Gone before they reach the first team.

It’s a different world. Guys like Stark, McGarvey & Richardson arrived from juniors and juveniles. They went straight to the first team to get abuse 😂

2 hours ago, Captain Saintsible said:

Frank McDougall was another target. How was he received in Aberdeen? 

Been following Saints since 1967 home and away right up to 2021 now I just don't do  away games unless it's the cup.  Billy Stark was a Celtic Supporter as was many in these days . I had attended many parties with Saints players in attendance in these days. Most Saints players were Celtic supporters.  Certainly don't remember Stark being in the boo boys. In fact I don't remember any boo boys to the Saints team then. Before Fergie took over I remember around 1,200 home fans just before Fergie took over . To think Fergie Brought that Support up to averaging 12.000 home supporters is quite incredible.  Stark was a great player for Saints your written a lot of shite. 

4 hours ago, Captain Saintsible said:

Haha. Brilliant.

Genuinely think Higdon is one of the best strikers I've seen at St Mirren. Starting watching us in the early 90s it's pretty slim pickings. Thompson and Higdon would top the poll for me. Special mentions for Lavety and Yardley. Yardley peaked in the first division though and injuries stopped Lavety from reaching his potential.

I loved Higdon though, was really good at bringing the ball down and getting the wide men and midfield involved, and he had a great ping on him. Some of the stick he got was mental.

2 hours ago, ZingaliMan said:

Been following Saints since 1967 home and away right up to 2021 now I just don't do  away games unless it's the cup.  Billy Stark was a Celtic Supporter as was many in these days . I had attended many parties with Saints players in attendance in these days. Most Saints players were Celtic supporters.  Certainly don't remember Stark being in the boo boys. In fact I don't remember any boo boys to the Saints team then. Before Fergie took over I remember around 1,200 home fans just before Fergie took over . To think Fergie Brought that Support up to averaging 12.000 home supporters is quite incredible.  Stark was a great player for Saints your written a lot of shite. 

Here is a Celtic blog interview with Billy Stark. He never says he was a Celtic fan. 

https://celticunderground.net/billy-stark-interview/

I was fortunate to witness all of the time Billy played for Saints and he was most certainly a target for the boo boys. Completely unwarranted I will add. We still have people at our games who are only happy when they are mumping and moaning. 

13 hours ago, Captain Saintsible said:

Higdon got a lot of stick for not much reason. Even when he was scoring and winning us games we had someone near me who moaned at him for not jumping more than 2 inches. 

Edited by flyingscot