The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

SR mentioned Carson’s injury isn’t as bad as first thought and will be available for the Motherwell game, Urminsky was exposed for the first goal so would still give him time, I’d left when the second went in. He also mentioned Main should be available. 

8 hours ago, Buddiesaint said:

Bit harsh accusing me of making it up. I Just rewatched post match interviews. He was less than complimentary of the team/players from the motherwell game onwards, but hands up It wasn't as mean or clear cut  as I remembered.

Clearly just frustrated by all this eh.

Well you did make it up so it’s not harsh at all 😂.

I think the manager mentioned they have been doing double training sessions, I don't think that's anything new though. Pretty sure we have done that in previous seasons but still had enough in the tank to progress from the group stages.
Ayunga looks like he has potential to cause havoc but we need to get the ball into his feet. I can picture us pumping high balls up to him all season, with half of them going out of play. 
Not panicking yet but 2 goals scored and 2 defeats against the opposition we have faced isn't good reading.

True, but I guess it could depend on how intense the 2 sessions are? From what Robo has said before he rates athleticism and fitness costs nothing. Not making excuses, but is he pushing them harder than others would?! Who knows.

We say it every season with every manager the high balls are shit and we need to play the ball to feet...which is crazy for football and footballers, right?

I worry that we brought in players supposedly with pace, but I'm yet to see it or it cause any trouble like Connelly's pace could or it could keep defenders guessing or deep due to him being able to roast them (though apart from that he wasn't the player fans made out when he left). We brought in Jones who supposedly had pace too, but wouldn't use it at all.

I wish we still had money to bring in some actual pace and quality in the middle like Ronan was as well as a Gogic style player.

14 minutes ago, Lola montez said:

SR mentioned Carson’s injury isn’t as bad as first thought and will be available for the Motherwell game, Urminsky was exposed for the first goal so would still give him time, I’d left when the second went in. He also mentioned Main should be available. 

He also said that Brophy and Main being back would add more physicality. That's fair enough, but he did sign 2 out of the 3 forward players who started last night and Ayunga is a man mountain. Surely he didn't sign these two guys to be back up to Brophy and Main all season?

48 minutes ago, Mainstand Sweary Mob said:

True, but I guess it could depend on how intense the 2 sessions are? From what Robo has said before he rates athleticism and fitness costs nothing. Not making excuses, but is he pushing them harder than others would?! Who knows.

Thing with fitness, especially if they're being worked harder than usual, is that it's all about the long-term gains.

The theory is that they'll probably be struggling now but will be fitter as things get tougher through the season.

I think at this stage we can only hope that that's the case.

Ayunga is another obika in the fact he cant jump higher than 3 inches.

Can you see Ayunga getting 12 goals in his first season with us, like Obika did?

9 hours ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Out of interest, who would you appoint if it was up to you? 

The way our season has started, Ethan Erhahon will be phoning Jim Goodwin begging him to come back, while at the same time, Dylan Reid’s dad is driving back to Lennoxtown, wearing hoops and singing ‘Hail Hail’.

5 minutes ago, Lex said:

Can you see Ayunga getting 12 goals in his first season with us, like Obika did?

He has 2 already, so another 10 isn't impossible. 

For me he's been far from the worst of the new recruits. 

Highlight of last night was Olusanya cutting in from the left and hitting a shot from about 10 yards out that ended up landing at the feet of Fraser who was standing about 40 yards from goal 👏🏻

At least he didn't try to play things down in his interview and admitted we were pish. Sounds like he told the players as much too.

Dunno if it's the early start or the group stage but I'm not overly fussed about the group stage, however I can't deny I'm getting a bit worried. Robinson has put such an emphasis on being ready for the Motherwell game that the pressure will really be on if we don't get off to a good start, especially after the horrendous form after he took over last season. 

Edited by Stu

2 hours ago, Mainstand Sweary Mob said:

The lack of pace is worrying. was that now why Jonah Ayunga and Toyosi Olusanya were brought in?! I'm yet to see it from them both. Was Strain not supposed to be pace too?

Are the players looking unfit, or are they still doing 2 training sessions a day, then doing the cup games too? Are they unfit or is it they are f**ked because this cup format makes it all crazy early in the season? Not making excuses, but are they over working so early on?!

The good solid performances tail end of last season were surprisingly with the formation Jim couldn't get to work with the 3-4-1-2.

I know Robo preference is this 4-3-3, but I feel this makes the midfield narrow. I feel Kiltie is lost so deep and really is a number 10.

I feel this formation is not working to allow the overlap of the LB/LW and RB/RW. I feel it is stifling the likes of Tanser's attacking play.

agreed and when you play a box to box player, that means O'hara is stepping forward leaving the middle even more exposed. Kiltie does not really have the physical attributes to play in there anyway and is also looking to get forward. 

He has 2 already, so another 10 isn't impossible. 
For me he's been far from the worst of the new recruits. 

Yeah maybe he will, I’ve only seen him against Arbroath to be fair, and he was terrible that day. Maybe he played better against Cowdenbeath. That 12 goal haul from Obika was in the season that ended in March, he was on course for 15+.

Highlight of last night was Olusanya cutting in from the left and hitting a shot from about 10 yards out that ended up landing at the feet of Fraser who was standing about 40 yards from goal [emoji1319]

Jay Henderson must be absolutely baffled that this fella has started two games instead of him. He just doesn’t look like a footballer.

1 hour ago, jm1 said:

Highlight of last night was Olusanya cutting in from the left and hitting a shot from about 10 yards out that ended up landing at the feet of Fraser who was standing about 40 yards from goal 👏🏻

I burst out laughing at that. He looked like the stereotypical forward who comes up from the lower leagues in England who is strong, quick but no real footballing ability.

Was that pretty close to St. Mirren's strongest team or are there still a few players to come in? I thought even at 11 v 11 it was pretty even, St. Mirren were getting some joy in behind our full backs who are very attacking but even then Airdrie were much better on the ball. We beat Motherwell in the group last year but was was a cagey game where we scored a free kick and Motherwell looked burst after that. Last night was different, Airdrie were very organised and far better technically while St. Mirren didn't really seem to have a clear game plan, particularly after the sending off.

I was baffled by Robinson going to a very narrow shape after the sending off. St. Mirren's only threat was down the sides, mostly Ayunga getting in behind our left back, so to stop that and just give our full backs so much space was bizarre. It was a strange move and Ryan Flynn, who I didn't realise was still kicking around at this level, didn't exactly contribute much to help it. Even at the end when we had to shuffle players around and brought on a few young boys who are physically nowhere near guys like Gallagher, Ayunga or O'Hara, St. Mirren seemed to have no idea of how to get back in the game or take advantage of that.

Interesting to think about how you make "the next step up," 

Normally we take a punt on an up and coming manager. The next step up is to get someone with a track record. In this case Robertson. It's amazing how often this where we end up going back to the start. Stubbs, Rae, Craig, Hay have all failed to live up to their reputation. Yes some young managers have failed at St Mirren Ian Murray being the last to do so. 

This isn't to say that Robinson will necessarily fail at St Mirren, just to say that we seldom seem to get that type of appointment right. 

And it's probably because we're not really in that market. We'd be hard pushed to get the equivalent of Ross, Courts, Neilson, etc. What we really want to do is to convince successful young managers to stay with us for longer.  

But hopefully Robinson will buck the trend and go on to have a long and successful reign at St Mirren. 

And yes it is early in the day for drinking