The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

1 minute ago, Hendo said:

Not sure about that - he was effectively Kibbles appointment and they wont want to be seen to have got it wrong- only if we are bottom by the time of the World Cup break could i see the axe being swung.

We have a squad that, on paper, shouldn't be losing to Airdrie, however the set up was all wrong. Our midfield was weak and a League 1 side easily dominated it, which is a real concern. The 4-3-3 doesnt work - go back to 4-2-3-1, hopefully Baccus will  come in and toughen us up in there, Kiltie back to his attacking mid role, Henderson back in the team on the right and Greive through the middle - he is not a left winger! And drop Erhahon until he realises he isnt as good as he thinks he is.

Most worrying thing was the lack of onfield leadership. Very concerning.

I thought Erhahon was about our only player with pass marks tonight. 

57 minutes ago, Lex said:

I think the most damning thing about the latest humiliation, is that no one is even surprised anymore.
League 1 Airdrie beating us 2-0 is just not much of a shock to anyone who has seen us play since the new manager arrived.
The football club is in absolute shambles, and it’s all Robinsons fault.
To be knocked out this kind league cup group stage is bad enough, but to be knocked out with a game to spare? Man alive, I don’t think even Elvis could have predicted that.
The crowd for the dead rubber at home to FC Edinburgh of City on Saturday should be some laugh.

I actually said on Saturday we would probably get beat tonight this was even worse than Saturday.

I actually said on Saturday we would probably get beat tonight this was even worse than Saturday.

Yeah but come on, at the start of the campaign you surely couldn’t have called that we would have been papped out after three games? [emoji28]

Just now, DumbartonBud said:

Even if we start the league well, ( I know, I know) after this and his first few games he will never be more than a couple of bad results away from being under pressure. 

just a matter of time ……. Tick tock. …

That’s how I’m seeing it too. Those first few games last season, along with some of his post match interviews, means he doesn’t have much favour built up to withstand a 5 or 6 game losing streak. I think the fact that we have shelled out a not insignificant sum of money to bring him here will make the board reluctant to pull the trigger early.
I’m willing to give him time, we wouldn’t be the first team to have a horrific league cup campaign and then go on to have a decent season. I reserve the right to change that opinion if the performances are of a similar level to last season. He’s had a full pre-season to implement the 433, and 7 new signings that should fit the system. Admittedly the League Cup results are worrying, but it’s the League games that he will ultimately be judged on. As you say, if we lose the first few games the club is going to be under huge pressure to act quickly, which I think they will be reluctant to do after spending 6 figures on him. 

6 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

I thought Erhahon was about our only player with pass marks tonight. 

Have to disagree, i thought he was poor, gave possession up too easily and was a main reason Airdrie had so much space. 

47 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

That’s some result for Linfield, albeit Bodo/Glimt have cashed in on some of their better players from last seasons Europa League run.

Bodo/Glimt got pumped in the Faroes Isles last round and only just scrapped through on aggregate.

So maybe that result wasn't such a big surprise.  Don't think they are doing great in the league either.

1 hour ago, buddie06smfc said:

Olusanya has been dealt a crap hand being the one hooked in each game. Grieve is overrated, would have him on the bench. 
Looked like a couple players losing their head as they were chasing Airdrie about the park second half. Long season ahead, VAR looks like our best hope. 

He had a chance to put Greive through and shot straight at the defender, his only pass was a shot which went out for a throw in, he needs to settle and play a pass, I thought we looked better up front, albeit a man down, when he went off. 

Just to add to the misery, have to say i was embarrassed by some of our fans tonight. Flares, wearing full face masks (and not for health and safety reasons) - get  a grip of yourselves. The performance on the pitch tonight was shameful, for some of our fans off the pitch it wasnt any better.

1 hour ago, Spam_Valley said:

Please show me proof of this made up nonsense. 

Bit harsh accusing me of making it up. I Just rewatched post match interviews. He was less than complimentary of the team/players from the motherwell game onwards, but hands up It wasn't as mean or clear cut  as I remembered.

Clearly just frustrated by all this eh.

1 hour ago, Yardley said:

I would bin him now. His record since he's arrived has shown he's useless. He talks a good game but we are woeful and Any supporter who watched us under Stubbs/Murray/Rae will see the same things then as what we are seeing now. 

Out of interest, who would you appoint if it was up to you? 

Have to disagree, i thought he was poor, gave possession up too easily and was a main reason Airdrie had so much space. 
Nonsense. The reason Airdrie or any other opponent has so much "space" is the narrow 3 in midfield with two of those three having to try to provide the support for an isolated central attacker leaving Erharon exposed totally. It's the formation that's conceding the territory not the personnel.

The 433 doesn't work. We are constantly caught on the counter, outnumbered in the midfield and our full backs are often left one or two on one.

I don't think we've actually got that bad a squad. The tactics and formation aren't working though.

7 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
27 minutes ago, Hendo said:

Nonsense. The reason Airdrie or any other opponent has so much "space" is the narrow 3 in midfield with two of those three having to try to provide the support for an isolated central attacker leaving Erharon exposed totally. It's the formation that's conceding the territory not the personnel.

Agree with all that, but i really struggle to identify what Erhahon offers - hes not a ball winner, playmaker or box to box - i do believe he has ability but really needs to impose himself much more on games, something i've never seen him do. You are right though, the formation doesnt help him. I'm sure when Robinson played that formation at Motherwell he had a ball winner in there which we dont really have, unless Baccus could perform that role, but with our current squad i think he needs to go back to 4-2-3-1.

Edited by Hendo

The lack of pace is worrying. was that now why Jonah Ayunga and Toyosi Olusanya were brought in?! I'm yet to see it from them both. Was Strain not supposed to be pace too?

Are the players looking unfit, or are they still doing 2 training sessions a day, then doing the cup games too? Are they unfit or is it they are f**ked because this cup format makes it all crazy early in the season? Not making excuses, but are they over working so early on?!

The good solid performances tail end of last season were surprisingly with the formation Jim couldn't get to work with the 3-4-1-2.

I know Robo preference is this 4-3-3, but I feel this makes the midfield narrow. I feel Kiltie is lost so deep and really is a number 10.

I feel this formation is not working to allow the overlap of the LB/LW and RB/RW. I feel it is stifling the likes of Tanser's attacking play.

30 minutes ago, Mainstand Sweary Mob said:

The lack of pace is worrying. was that now why Jonah Ayunga and Toyosi Olusanya were brought in?! I'm yet to see it from them both. Was Strain not supposed to be pace too?

Are the players looking unfit, or are they still doing 2 training sessions a day, then doing the cup games too? Are they unfit or is it they are f**ked because this cup format makes it all crazy early in the season? Not making excuses, but are they over working so early on?!

The good solid performances tail end of last season were surprisingly with the formation Jim couldn't get to work with the 3-4-1-2.

I know Robo preference is this 4-3-3, but I feel this makes the midfield narrow. I feel Kiltie is lost so deep and really is a number 10.

I feel this formation is not working to allow the overlap of the LB/LW and RB/RW. I feel it is stifling the likes of Tanser's attacking play.

I think the manager mentioned they have been doing double training sessions, I don't think that's anything new though. Pretty sure we have done that in previous seasons but still had enough in the tank to progress from the group stages.

Ayunga looks like he has potential to cause havoc but we need to get the ball into his feet. I can picture us pumping high balls up to him all season, with half of them going out of play. 

Not panicking yet but 2 goals scored and 2 defeats against the opposition we have faced isn't good reading.