The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Some of the signings seemed pretty exciting. Was great getting most of our business done early too.

This league Cup performance has shot any goodwill he scraped together at the end of the season.

Start strong in the league somehow or its the shoogly peg for me. Not sure I can see where that turnaround is coming from though. I hope I'm wrong ofc.

We sure do pick 'em.

It wasn't much different fom the other two games, and indeed most of the second half of last season. No obvious game plan and tedious to watch.

I had to laugh at some people trying to make out that we were content to coast the second half at Cowdeneath. What a load of shite, we couldn't get in behind them to save ourselves, in a situation where goal difference was essential, and they'll likely be by far the weakest opponent we'll play all season.

Olusanya has been dealt a crap hand being the one hooked in each game. Grieve is overrated, would have him on the bench. 
Looked like a couple players losing their head as they were chasing Airdrie about the park second half. Long season ahead, VAR looks like our best hope. 

4 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Not having that shite at all. Robinson was an excellent Manager for us. 

We lost to Airdire in last seasons League Cup and qualified for Europe. So buddies you may p1ss your pants but I would take that as a sign 😉.

To put it another way, I thought we went through spells of playing decent for half a season, then playing some of the worst football you'd ever seen in the other half.

The types of signings he made definitely wear on you after a while.

1 minute ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Not much Robinson can do about Greg Kiltie kicking someone in the head half an hour in.

Lots of work to do though before the start of the league season. Starting 11 is anyone's guess....

Ok, the red card has a big impact but we must've had about 7 or 8 games last season when we went down to 10 men. If we're just going to meekly lie down any time we get a man sent off then we're in bother.

It's a accumulation of really poor performances people are talking about, not just tonight's game.

I would bin him now. His record since he's arrived has shown he's useless. He talks a good game but we are woeful and Any supporter who watched us under Stubbs/Murray/Rae will see the same things then as what we are seeing now. 

1 minute ago, Yardley said:

I would bin him now. His record since he's arrived has shown he's useless. He talks a good game but we are woeful and Any supporter who watched us under Stubbs/Murray/Rae will see the same things then as what we are seeing now. 

Totally agree

I think the most damning thing about the latest humiliation, is that no one is even surprised anymore.
League 1 Airdrie beating us 2-0 is just not much of a shock to anyone who has seen us play since the new manager arrived.
The football club is in absolute shambles, and it’s all Robinsons fault.
To be knocked out this kind league cup group stage is bad enough, but to be knocked out with a game to spare? Man alive, I don’t think even Elvis could have predicted that.
The crowd for the dead rubber at home to FC Edinburgh of City on Saturday should be some laugh.

12 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

In other news, Daniel Finlayson played 90mins for Linfield in a Champions League qualifier against Bodo/Glimt and they won 1-0.

To think we beat Linfield a few weeks back and Bodo/Glimt pumped Celtic not so long ago. 

That’s some result for Linfield, albeit Bodo/Glimt have cashed in on some of their better players from last seasons Europa League run.

I watched our game against Linfield a few weeks ago and thought the signs were promising. Ayunga looked like he had a bit of quality, Grieve was working hard to press the defenders, and it looked like we were setting up to play a high press with midfielders willing to bust a gut when the ball was turned over. There was times in that game where we didn’t allow Linfield to string 2 passes together before we won the ball back. Obviously it was a friendly, but I was quite content with the team after that game. After these last few games I’m now hoping St Johnstone are as bad as their fans say they are. 

That’s worse than anything I seen from stubbs. Passed off the park by Airdrie, every player looks like they don’t know what they are doing.
The less said about the new signings the better.

Stubbs made it out of the league cup group stage of course, and still got sacked after four league games.

1 minute ago, DumbartonBud said:

Even if we start the league well, ( I know, I know) after this and his first few games he will never be more than a couple of bad results away from being under pressure. 

just a matter of time ……. Tick tock. …

Not sure about that - he was effectively Kibbles appointment and they wont want to be seen to have got it wrong- only if we are bottom by the time of the World Cup break could i see the axe being swung.

We have a squad that, on paper, shouldn't be losing to Airdrie, however the set up was all wrong. Our midfield was weak and a League 1 side easily dominated it, which is a real concern. The 4-3-3 doesnt work - go back to 4-2-3-1, hopefully Baccus will  come in and toughen us up in there, Kiltie back to his attacking mid role, Henderson back in the team on the right and Greive through the middle - he is not a left winger! And drop Erhahon until he realises he isnt as good as he thinks he is.

Most worrying thing was the lack of onfield leadership. Very concerning.