The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

1 hour ago, smellthepaw said:

It's possible our sell on fee request (say 20% or 33%) was matched by Celtic though not by Rangers.

That would be my guess. 

Rangers comfortable in the knowledge that Reid is highly unlikely to / won't sign for Celtic so they just wait it out. Pick him up for the development fee in June and get a much bigger chunk of any future transfer fee. Nothing we can do about it.

See Aribo and Bassey.... Rangers paid a total of £0.5 million in development fees to Charlton & Leicester and have now sold the pair of them on for potentially £30 million. 

8 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

He won't be behind Kiltie. 

I'll be honest, much as I like Kiltie, I just don't see where he fits in the 4-3-3 that Robinson wants to play.

He's excellent behind the front men in a sort of number 10 role but is completely lost as a central mid.

He’s behind Kiltie tonight.

Kiltie in midfield in a 4-3-3 again tonight, just as he has been in previous games so far.

9 minutes ago, Captain Saintsible said:

He’s behind Kiltie tonight.

Kiltie in midfield in a 4-3-3 again tonight, just as he has been in previous games so far.

It just doesnt work for me having Kiltie in this role he is wasted. He needs to sit in behind a front two. 

Erhahon imo has been our best player so far. The lad looks fitter and more confident. 

Put me down as another one who is a tad cynical about the Dylan Reid ‘deal’. By all accounts we accepted a bid from Celtic a couple of weeks ago, with Rangers reportedly interested as well, and all of a sudden the club put out a statement to say he’s staying. The bid from Celtic seemed very low, but I understand that the club may have been looking at the sell on fees etc. as the real money maker. Do we still get the development fee for him if he leaves at the end of his contract? 

For the benefit of his development I obviously think it’s good that’s he’s staying at Saints, and he will hopefully get plenty of opportunities to show how good he is in the Premiership this season rather than the Lowland League with an OF ‘B’ team.

If he is to get his chance in the first team however, and doesn't put in the sort of performances that some St Mirren fans are expecting of him then it could work against us. I’ve only seen him play 3 or 4 times, one of those in the Scotland U19s I think, and he does look like a tidy player. I worry that he’s being hyped up a bit too much by the fans because he’s came through our youth system. If he happened to be playing for a team in the Championship, would we be looking to buy him and put him straight into the first team? Now that he has the carrot of higher wages and bigger clubs looking at him come the end of the season, hopefully it spurs him on to produce some good performances for us. 

32 minutes ago, AW saint said:

It just doesnt work for me having Kiltie in this role he is wasted. He needs to sit in behind a front two. 

Erhahon imo has been our best player so far. The lad looks fitter and more confident. 

If that position doesn’t exist then he needs to play in another role 

On the subject of Dylan Reid, Paul Lambert was a first team regular at the age of 17, indeed he didn’t turn 17 until start of August so he was still 16 at this point in the season.

He made 36 league appearances in a side that finished 7th in the league and won the Scottish Cup.

2 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

Anyone at the game who can report on Olusanyas performance? Was his substitution a tactical decision? 

Not a great start to his time at Saints, being subbed at half time on his debut and after 35 minutes tonight. 

Aye, tactical to keep 3 in the middle. 

1 minute ago, Spam_Valley said:

Don’t think we plan on playing with 10 men tbh.

Doesn’t like like there is any plan or proper shape to this team when we have eleven men. Fair enough these are pre season type games, but there are concerns as we look utterly devoid of ideas and quality.

8 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

Doesn’t like like there is any plan or proper shape to this team when we have eleven men. Fair enough these are pre season type games, but there are concerns as we look utterly devoid of ideas and quality.

These are not pre season games. There is significant prize money on offer. We should not be getting beaten by Airdrie and Arbroath. It’s pitiful.

No more than Airdrie deserve. The second half they have passed us off the park. Hottest day on record and we're pumping balls into the channels for strikers to chase.

Airdrie have a 29 year old player manager and have approached the game in a much better fashion. Ok, the red card helps Airdrie massively but we've been so poor yet again.