The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

1 minute ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Certainly his old man will enjoy dining out on it for years to come on the Kilbirnie Loyal bus .

"And big Ange even spoke to Dylan on Zoom to try and get him to sign!"

Awaiting the tiktok video where his Da is flicking Ange the middle finger off screen.

12 hours ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

The club have announced that Reid has turned down the move to Celtic.

Lovely stuff.

St Mirren Football Club can confirm that last week it allowed Dylan Reid permission to speak to a fellow cinch Premiership club regarding a possible transfer.

We can now confirm that Dylan has turned down the opportunity to leave St Mirren at this point in time.

The St Mirren Youth Academy graduate became the youngest ever player to play for St Mirren, as well as the youngest ever Scottish Premiership player, when he made his debut for Saints at just 16 years and five days old in March 2021. He has since gone on to play for the first-team on five occasions - most recently as a substitution in our 2-0 win over Cowdenbeath on Saturday.

We are pleased that Dylan will remain at St Mirren and look forward to him continuing his development at the club.

I'd be amazed if he signs a new deal. Hopefully you get 4 great months out of him and someone come sin with a daft bid in January to make sure they get him.

6 hours ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Scott Burns USED to be on the money with all things Aberdeen…. But his source at Pittodrie appears to have left or been weedled out. 

Expect him to get a good few St Mirren & Killie exclusives...

42 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

I'd be amazed if he signs a new deal. Hopefully you get 4 great months out of him and someone come sin with a daft bid in January to make sure they get him.

To be honest, i doubt he'll be a regular for us. He's only 17 and while he has potential, is likely to be behind Bacchus, Erhahon, O'Hara and Kiltie for a central midfield place. 

2 minutes ago, Hendo said:

To be honest, i doubt he'll be a regular for us. He's only 17 and while he has potential, is likely to be behind Bacchus, Erhahon, O'Hara and Kiltie for a central midfield place. 

He won't be behind Kiltie. 

I'll be honest, much as I like Kiltie, I just don't see where he fits in the 4-3-3 that Robinson wants to play.

He's excellent behind the front men in a sort of number 10 role but is completely lost as a central mid.

If we're going 4-3-3 the midfield every week will definitely include Baccus and O'Hara as first choices. Possibly swapping Erhahon and Reid in and out. Not sure who will play in the more advanced role of those three though. Baccus strength is apparently in winning possession and Erhahon is definitely more holding than creative. From what we've seen of Reid he does like a foray forward so maybe he'll play advanced.

Had Gogic signed, that would have changed the dynamic quite drastically.

11 minutes ago, Hendo said:

Doesn't make any sense to leave the kid out? At least in terms of maximising what you receive?

9 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Doesn't make any sense to leave the kid out? At least in terms of maximising what you receive?

I'd say with his age and where he is in his development, it is a bit unfortunate for us in terms of how longs left on his contract (ideally he would have had 2 years left). It's most likely he would have been closer to the starting lineup next season, though we currently have many players in front of him. John McGinn never made it into the starting lineup until just before his 18th birthday. 

If he goes this summer, we have the opportunity of asking for add-ons to the deal, including sell on fee and possibly appearances. If he leaves next summer, we get a similar fee to the £125k in development fees, without the chance to throw in some add ons.

If Ranger come back in and match what Celtic offered us, 100% he will be off this summer. Just because he knocked back Celtic, doesn't mean he wants to commit his future to us, he is holding out for another club who have already showed interest. For what it is also worth, he does not want to sign an extension to his current deal with us. 

20 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

He won't be behind Kiltie. 

I'll be honest, much as I like Kiltie, I just don't see where he fits in the 4-3-3 that Robinson wants to play.

He's excellent behind the front men in a sort of number 10 role but is completely lost as a central mid.

If we're going 4-3-3 the midfield every week will definitely include Baccus and O'Hara as first choices. Possibly swapping Erhahon and Reid in and out. Not sure who will play in the more advanced role of those three though. Baccus strength is apparently in winning possession and Erhahon is definitely more holding than creative. From what we've seen of Reid he does like a foray forward so maybe he'll play advanced.

Had Gogic signed, that would have changed the dynamic quite drastically.

Thought it was interesting to see the way Robinson had the players laid out on his whiteboard - there was very much one deeper player (Ethan) with two operating in front of that. Obviously that doesn't necessarily translate exactly to the pitch, but that appears to be the ethos. 

13 hours ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Dylan Reid..... my fear is that there's been a wee nudge, nudge wink wink to sit tight from the other Glasgow team.

Shock horror, they become interested again when his contract expires next year. He signs for them and it's a poorer financial deal for us than if he'd gone to Celtic. 

We'll have to wait and see. In the meantime, hopefully he'll have a good season for us. 

Surely Rangers can afford to part with the £125k reported?

1 minute ago, smellthepaw said:

If Ranger come back in and match what Celtic offered us, 100% he will be off this summer.  

I really don't see why they don't, when you consider the paltry sums involved. Also, I can't see why what Rangers offered was rejected but Celtic's barely-better offer was accepted. Are we really sitting there saying 'we won't take a penny less than £125k'? Given we now seem happy that he's staying (ie we weren't desperate for that 125k), then why didn't we just stick a 500k tag on his head and test the water that way?

I dunno, it all just seems a bit weird and inconsistent to me.

3 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I really don't see why they don't, when you consider the paltry sums involved. Also, I can't see why what Rangers offered was rejected but Celtic's barely-better offer was accepted. Are we really sitting there saying 'we won't take a penny less than £125k'? Given we now seem happy that he's staying (ie we weren't desperate for that 125k), then why didn't we just stick a 500k tag on his head and test the water that way?

It's going to be strange when he makes the move to play Lowland league football there after rejecting it with Celtic.

Moving to a team with what appears to be a less clear pathway to first team football. Probably on the advice of the father.

1 hour ago, Merkland Red said:

Expect him to get a good few St Mirren & Killie exclusives...

Scott Burns has always been extremely good for Saints stuff in fairness.

If Reid stays until next summer and leaves for compensation, will that take into account how many first team appearances he's made or is it purely on age and length of time at the club?

2 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

It's possible our sell on fee request (say 20% or 33%) was matched by Celtic though not by Rangers.

We also possibly see the potential of his value rising in years to come and the only way to maximise our future cut (which could be significantly higher return than £125k)is to take the hit and offer him at his market value now so that we can secure those add ons. There hasn't been a flurry of teams lining up with cash so far.

This method has worked out well long term for us with the McGinn deal.

Reid will be gone if not this summer, then next.  

1 hour ago, Stu said:

If Reid stays until next summer and leaves for compensation, will that take into account how many first team appearances he's made or is it purely on age and length of time at the club?

From what I have gathered, it will not be much more than what Celtic offered as a transfer fee, hence why selling him now and having the opportunity to include add ons is more profitable for us long term.

Edited by smellthepaw

3 minutes ago, Stu said:

It's to do with how long he has trained with your team, along with the status of your club with some system. @capt_oatshas posted it several times on the board.

You can always try and take it to tribunal but IMO you'd only get a bit more from that if you could prove how invaluable he is (i.e playing him as much as possible).

18 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

It's to do with how long he has trained with your team, along with the status of your club with some system. @capt_oatshas posted it several times on the board.

You can always try and take it to tribunal but IMO you'd only get a bit more from that if you could prove how invaluable he is (i.e playing him as much as possible).

Aye. It's in the actual rules.

The relevant section dealing with compensation/development etc starts page 75 here.

1603666395_ScreenShot2022-07-19at11_38_26.thumb.png.3f835a54e0001415c0d197ee6a68324b.png
789862150_ScreenShot2022-07-19at11_38_43.thumb.png.da9537fdc72986770aba609d62e0261f.png

Edited by capt_oats

I know nothing about the boy Reid but it pains me to see you guys say he's holding out for a bid from the cream buns.

We've just lost another young boy (who I know nothing about also) to Rangers.

31 minutes ago, smellthepaw said:

Surely Rangers can afford to part with the £125k reported?

"Reported" being the key word. Made up is more likely.

However, having just banked £20 million for Dylan Connolly's plaything, you'd think they'd be able to match the fee that we're actually asking for.