The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

26 minutes ago, davidmcc said:

I don't think Jordan Jones was ever close to full fitness with us.  A decent pre-season and he could be a different player.

Thats what I thought too.

Hadn't kicked a ball for months previously before signing for us in January.

Problem is he is playing catch up already.

1 minute ago, AW saint said:

Hibs lost to Falkirk and Livvy beaten by Inverness just shows results can be a bit up and down at this stage. 

Not forgetting the double cup winners losing on penalties to the mighty Annan. 

7 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

How are you guys shaping up?

Think you'll be better than 11th?

Looking at areas of the park, defence I imagine will be similar to last year. Carson probably isn't as good as Alnwick, Gallagher is maybe better than Mccarthy but didn't feature much last season. I expect Strain to be more involved than Miller.

Midfield looks weaker without Ronan but let's see what Baccus is like.

Up front is probably a little stronger, certainly more depth. Brophy will be our main striker if he stays fit. Grieve will have a full preseason under him, Main had a couple of decent performances towards the back end of the season so can hopefully build on that. The new players and younger boys are a bit of an unknown quantity at this level.

All that said, you never know. We might very well be right in the relegation mixer.

8 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

How are you guys shaping up?

Think you'll be better than 11th?

We lost our last game to the 2nd best team in the country outside of the top flight last season so are certs to go down.

Until Saturday when we win and then we'll be top 6 certs.

Before losing on penalties to Airdrie and be condemned to a season of propping up the rest.

Then beat Edinburgh comfortably and be wonderful again.

Not that I'd call our supporters reactionary or anything but how we're going to do is almost always based on our previous result for many.

57 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

Looking at areas of the park, defence I imagine will be similar to last year. Carson probably isn't as good as Alnwick, Gallagher is maybe better than Mccarthy but didn't feature much last season. I expect Strain to be more involved than Miller.

Up front is probably a little stronger, certainly more depth. Brophy will be our main striker if he stays fit. Grieve will have a full preseason under him, Main had a couple of decent performances towards the back end of the season so can hopefully build on that. The new players and younger boys are a bit of an unknown quantity at this level.

All that said, you never know. We might very well be right in the play off mixer.

FTFY

31 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

FTFY

I don't fancy St Johnstone this season but I'm not convinced you're a cert to go down. Carey, Murphy, Considine are all good, experienced players. If (and I appreciate it's an 'if') they can all stay fit then they'll all be good additions. Guys like McCart, Wotherspoon, Hall Hallberg, Kane are all players who can do a job and keep you up.

1 minute ago, houston_bud said:

I don't fancy St Johnstone this season but I'm not convinced you're a cert to go down. Carey, Murphy, Considine are all good, experienced players. If (and I appreciate it's an 'if') they can all stay fit then they'll all be good additions. Guys like McCart, Wotherspoon, Hall Hallberg, Kane are all players who can do a job and keep you up.

McCart is gone. Wotherspoon is out until November, after a near 12 month lay off. Kanes injury status is now a state secret which doesn't bode well.

Considine last night lost a foot race to a L2 winger after having a 15 yard head start. Murphy was sussed out by a L2 defence for just constantly cutting inside every single time.

Carey is the beacon of hope, but last night his balls into the box led to nothing as we don't get numbers in to attack his crosses.

We're about to replace Zander Clark with Kilmarnocks back up keeper.

All that said, you never know. We might very well be right in the relegation mixer.

This is a very good summary. The middle 3, I have said loads, is weaker without Ronan. He was creative and could be more advanced or sit deeper and still help drive the ball forward. I think Robo is trying to get Kiltie to be that player, but feel they are different and Kiltie really shines in the pocket.

Up front Greive is out wide more, which he works his socks off at and I'm sure I've seen him there for NZ.

The main striker I'm not sure on as in the past Robo has loved the big lump of a forward to be in the Central role. This suits Main more than Brophy in my head with his previous style of play, but then I don't see how Brophy fits as he's not the holding up play kind of striker in my eyes. Time will tell.

2 hours ago, Mainstand Sweary Mob said:

This is a very good summary. The middle 3, I have said loads, is weaker without Ronan. He was creative and could be more advanced or sit deeper and still help drive the ball forward. I think Robo is trying to get Kiltie to be that player, but feel they are different and Kiltie really shines in the pocket.

Up front Greive is out wide more, which he works his socks off at and I'm sure I've seen him there for NZ.

The main striker I'm not sure on as in the past Robo has loved the big lump of a forward to be in the Central role. This suits Main more than Brophy in my head with his previous style of play, but then I don't see how Brophy fits as he's not the holding up play kind of striker in my eyes. Time will tell.

Grieve is very mobile and can easily play wide or through the middle. Ayunga looks like he needs to get up to speed. He holds the ball up well and has a good awareness about him but he falls out of games so far. I think once Brophey is fit it gives us options but no one looks like a 15 goal a season striker. 

I do however think that Offord may be the player we are looking for up front

Our midfield is too similar with no creative spark. 

Ethan has been a stand out for me so far but he doesnt create many chances. 

We are still a bit short in quality. Baccus may yet be a key player but he is untried at this level. 

For me, Brophy is key because he's the only real goalscorer we've got, despite the usual injuries, he still scored 7 goals in the league last season I think, which was about 20% of the goals we scored in total! More than Main, Greive, Henderson and Jones put together (not picking on these guys, just these were our other attacking players last season). I don't know if it's possible to keep the guy fit, but if Robinson can, he could easily be a double figure striker for us next season. I honestly don't think Grieve or Main ever will be. Offord has looked pretty good in his cameos so far this pre season, so could offer something, but he's very young. He does look like he can create though. To be honest, I also thought Henderson and Tanser were putting in some great balls on Saturday, the crossing looked good. I think in all the hysteria after the defeat it's been a bit forgotten that we really should have scored at least two goals. We created quite a lot against a good defence.

If dropping points in the league Cup this early should set off the panic alarm, at least we're in good company with Hibs, Livi and St. Johnstone.

I reckon we've got enough about us to finish above at least one of them. How's Carsons penalty saves? Might need him to do a Hladky😂

Edited by Buddiesaint
Missed out hladky