The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

18 hours ago, AW saint said:

Don't know how much game time ge will get for us. Robinson will be under serious pressure unless the team improves so may not risk Reid. 

Baccus has still to arrive too. IMO its a flip between Reid or Erhahon in the team and we have went with Ethan due to his experience of first team.

How was Jordan Jones for you last year? He's coming back to us apoarently and I dunno what to expect. 

Was brilliant for us first time round, but hasn't really played much consistent football since he left us. 

1 minute ago, Nadroj said:

How was Jordan Jones for you last year? He's coming back to us apoarently and I dunno what to expect. 

Was brilliant for us first time round, but hasn't really played much consistent football since he left us. 

Underwhelming. Scored a cracker against Kelty hearts in the cup. Don't think he managed to beat his man more than once in any other game.

Absolutely terrible. Zero goals and zero assists in the league. Surprised he’s getting another top flight gig tbh.

1 hour ago, Nadroj said:

One of the worst players I have seen in a St Mirren top he spent more time on his arse than he did on the ball .

1 hour ago, Nadroj said:

Really underwhelming to be honest but I can’t imagine the lack of game time he’s had over the past 2 years helped that. 

Could see how good he can be in flashes but just never got fully firing.

@Nadroj - what I will say is he came in as Goodwin's partial answer to switching formations, as we moved to a 4-2-3-1 from a failing 3-5-2. While he wasn't brilliant, he was at least providing pace and width, and an out ball down the left.

However, Goodwin left, Robinson came in and fairly quickly reverted to a 3-5-2 in which Jones has no natural home. So for a player lacking game time and momentum, that probably wasn't ideal.

If you bring him in, it certainly won't be based on what he did for us last season, but I'm inclined to think there has to be a player in there somewhere still.

1 hour ago, Nadroj said:

He was really shite but this:

36 minutes ago, elvis said:

One of the worst players I have seen in a St Mirren top 

Is an absolutely wild take unless you've only been watching St. Mirren about the last 12-18 months.

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

He was really shite but this:

Is an absolutely wild take unless you've only been watching St. Mirren about the last 12-18 months.

Even then, I can think of at least half a dozen players worse than Jones.

He really looked dangerous in his first two or three games, then it all fizzled out. I think his negative reviews were down to disappointment as he clearly has better quality than he showed with us.

If Killie get him, it's certainly a step up in quality from their signings so far.

13 hours ago, AW saint said:

Dylan Reid to hold signing talks with Celtic tomorrow. Strange that we knocked back the same offer from Rangers. 

Probably completely wrong , but this is the way I see it.

1. Reid had told the club he won't be signing a new deal.

2. The club know , at the end of the season , they will receive a development fee of not much more than £100k. 

3. The club have accepted the offer from Celtic , in the knowledge that he won't go there.

4. The club see this as a way of prompting other interested clubs to make their own bids , hopefully higher , with better add-ons ?

45 minutes ago, Hendo said:

Even then, I can think of at least half a dozen players worse than Jones.

He really looked dangerous in his first two or three games, then it all fizzled out. I think his negative reviews were down to disappointment as he clearly has better quality than he showed with us.

If Killie get him, it's certainly a step up in quality from their signings so far.

There was a bit of a buzz of excitement with the signing of Jones, like he was the missing piece to drive us forward from wide areas and be a game changer. Sadly never lived up to it. As mentioned further up on the thread, a switch in formation didn't do him any favours, though we did expect much much more than he showed.

26 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Why would Reid turn down Celtic? Because his family are Rangers fans?

As sad as it sounds, I do believe this. Rangers wouldn't need to put up much more surely to match Celtics bid, unless it was the add-ons that were the stumbling block from their end.

Just now, smellthepaw said:

There was a bit of a buzz of excitement with the signing of Jones, like he was the missing piece to drive us forward from wide areas and be a game changer. Sadly never lived up to it. As mentioned further up on the thread, a switch in formation didn't do him any favours, though we did expect much much more than he showed.

He also picked up a shoulder injury, which didn't help.

However, from the start, he looked as if he was towing a caravan and, as others have mentioned, he failed to beat his man and his delivery was poor.

46 minutes ago, billyg said:

Probably completely wrong , but this is the way I see it.

1. Reid had told the club he won't be signing a new deal.

2. The club know , at the end of the season , they will receive a development fee of not much more than £100k. 

3. The club have accepted the offer from Celtic , in the knowledge that he won't go there.

4. The club see this as a way of prompting other interested clubs to make their own bids , hopefully higher , with better add-ons ?

Sounds about right on paper. Not in the know, though with less than 12 months remaining on his contract, it seems likely we have seen a 'cash in now' situation, with add-ons included.

19 minutes ago, FTOF said:

He also picked up a shoulder injury, which didn't help.

However, from the start, he looked as if he was towing a caravan and, as others have mentioned, he failed to beat his man and his delivery was poor.

Yeah, it wasn't the formation that made him unable to put any corner or cross past the first man. Also, his performance in the humping off Motherwell was probably a big part of the reason we switched to a back three as he offered absolutely nothing defensively that day. I know it's not his game, but at least jog after the fullback a wee bit mate.

To be honest, I thought he was crap. Probably is potentially a player there, but he was brutal for us and deeply disappointing signing. Maybe not the worst signing of last season (Miller was pretty pointless) but definitely by far the most dissapointing.

He was a disappointing signing. I know he'd not hit the heights of his last time at Kilmarnock, but hoped that with a run in the team he'd be able to replace some of the width and out ball we lost from Durmas moving on. 

I'm struggling to think of a decent game he had last season, which is worrying as I can think of decent games from Curtis Main.