The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

27 minutes ago, Munoz said:

Brophy, Main and Baccus were missing today and still supposedly 2 signings to come in.

Pure pish today but not quite panic stations yet.

Christ.

Based on today I don't think Brophy will have too much trouble getting back I the starting 11.

I hope we see Henderson starting more games, last year he got benched for the wage thief Jones. Both last season and this afternoon we looked a better side with him in it.

Poor performance from us, I was surprised to see us coming off second best physically after everything that's been written about Robinson.

Felt we were marginally better but they frustrated us with some cute timewasting in the last 10-15 minutes and we lost our concentration - no real complaints though the more professional side won.

35 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

I 'care' enough because I'm looking through the markets, evidently. I even alluded to that fact in my post. 

Furthermore, I even said I'd have Kilmarnock as favourites purely based on the squads on paper. I was asking in case I'd missed something, stop getting so uppity.

Fill your boots then, you might want to stick a few quid on your neighbours finishing 3rd.

3 hours ago, houston_bud said:

We were rotten today, had no cutting edge and lacked quality. Too many players passing when they should've shot.

A post from July 2022, but equally, July 2021, 2020, 2019, or, or…. New season. New signings. New management. New kits…. Same old shite. It’s ingrained in our DNA. Is our season a write-off? Of course not. Is it going to be any better than sniffing Top 6, but failing to reach it? Of course not.

Take a look at today’s League Cup results. Look at the ‘bigger’ team results against their ‘lesser’ opposition. Every single one of the bigger teams did a job, got a result - except one. Ross County came closest to being as pish as us,, but dug out a penalty win after a draw. Guess who were the only ones to completely fcuk it up, at home too.

9th place finish in the league, amongst the lowest goalscorers, poor home record in season 2022/23?  Bookmark it.

Edited by pozbaird

Well in the last two seasons we have qualified from the league cup group stage top without losing a single game. We won all four games last season. Now it’s out of our hands, three wins might get us through or it might not. We are relying on other teams.
That’s played 14, lost 9, won 3 and drew 2 for Robinson now.
That’s a ridiculously poor record to be honest. Two of those wins were against that joke Dundee team as well, I’m not even sure if we should be counting them.
He needs to turn this around, sharpish.

The Sun claiming Celtic have bid for Dylan Reid. It's a derisory 125k, but this is a good thing. Can't see Rangers wanting to be outbid here. Here's hoping they get into a bidding war with each other.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/9133505/celtic-transfer-bid-st-mirren-dylan-reid-rangers-scouted/

The Sun claiming Celtic have bid for Dylan Reid. It's a derisory 125k, but this is a good thing. Can't see Rangers wanting to be outbid here. Here's hoping they get into a bidding war with each other.
https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/9133505/celtic-transfer-bid-st-mirren-dylan-reid-rangers-scouted/

How about they go and take a flying f**k to themselves? Patronising b*****ds

3 hours ago, pozbaird said:

Take a look at today’s League Cup results. Look at the ‘bigger’ team results against their ‘lesser’ opposition. Every single one of the bigger teams did a job, got a result - except one. Ross County came closest to being as pish as us,, but dug out a penalty win after a draw. Guess who were the only ones to completely fcuk it up, at home 

Not that I disagree with your post overall, and correct me if I'm wrong but weren't we the only ones facing championship tier opposition? I'd hardly put the arbroath team who nearly got promoted last season on the same level as Clyde.

That being said its definitely not a good result, and plenty of work needed to get to the level we'd expect/hope for. Very likely we'll end up having a 'meh' season but if you offered me that right now over relegation I'd not turn it down either.

10 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

The Herald says that we've accepted a bid of £125K from Celtic and that Rangers may match it, leaving it up to Dylan to decide. 

Not a lot of money but he'd be walking away at the end of the season anyway leaving us to hope that we'd receive a half-decent development fee. 

Sell him when he's under contract and we can get lucrative add-ons into the deal like appearance fees and a sell-on clause.

16 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

Would you guys agree with the bookmakers that St Mirren are favourites to finish bottom?

Personally, I'd have said Kilmarnock.

Hard to tell just now. We haven't replaced McGrath or Ronan, looks like our creativity will come down to Kiltie and some of our young ones like Jay Henderson. Gallagher and Carson are solid signings for this level. 

Not sure of County's dealings but their 2 best players will be impossible to replace. 

StJohnstone have went for the dads army approach this summer, they cant be as bad but that depends if CD will be as stubborn. 

Seen Killie were 8/1 on to finish bottom on bet365, pretty decent odds but McInnes is probably their best asset. 

I hope we'll be solid but unspectacular enough to avoid the bottom 2 spots but Robinsons record with us so far has been poor. 

12 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

If this is what we are selling our quality youth players for then its a disgrace. 

Our rivals can command way more. Really disappointed in this. 

We sell our players too cheaply

Accepting £125k - if this story is true - is fucking pathetic.

I was talking just last week about hopefully now digging our heels in and getting value out of our youth players.

We fall so far behind the curve on this, it's ridiculous. A year to go or not, £125k should never, ever be considered outwith a hearty laugh and replied to with a firm 'f**k off'.

Very similar problems to last season. Midfield sitting too deep and passing the ball forward without supporting the forwards instead of carrying it forward. Too many side and back passes allowing the opposition to get everyone behind the ball. We need to get the ball forward a lot faster and support the front players. Gallagher was one player who was carrying the ball forward sometimes passing through the midfield but then would lose it causing panic behind him. But he was showing the midfield what they should have been doing. Thought Carson looked shakey. Gallagher didn't look like he would be adding to his Scotland caps anytime soon. Ayunga and Olusanya need to learn to pass/not fall over. O'hara was very good on Tuesday but only appeared occasionally yesterday.

The midfield worries me. On the bench we only had Flynn and Reid and Reid may be off. Kiltie is not a midfielder. Threadbare to say the least.

1 hour ago, AW saint said:

Our rivals can command way more. Really disappointed in this. 

Not for players who have made just 3 or 4 appearances in the Premiership and are in the final year of their contract.

We did well to get Reid on a professional contract. Motherwell and Aberdeen very recently had highly-sought after 15 year olds they'd brought through opting to sign for Rangers instead. The same may well happen to us with Murray Campbell; it's the boy's decision ultimately.

We could ask for £1,000,000 for Dylan but interested clubs would just wait until his contract ended and we'd get a pittance of a development fee. Sell him now for the smaller fee and we can insert potentially lucrative clauses.

We'll likely have to get used to this kind of thing as the academy churns out more talent. Sticks in the throat definitely but I don't see what else the club are supposed to do. We can't force Reid to sign a longer contract, nor command a huge fee for a player who couldn't get into a League 1 team last season and has been earmarked to play for "B" teams in the Lowland League next season.

Edited by Buttocks Brown

1 hour ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Not for players who have made just 3 or 4 appearances in the Premiership and are in the final year of their contract.

We did well to get Reid on a professional contract. Motherwell and Aberdeen very recently had highly-sought after 15 year olds they'd brought through opting to sign for Rangers instead. The same may well happen to us with Murray Campbell; it's the boy's decision ultimately.

We could ask for £1,000,000 for Dylan but interested clubs would just wait until his contract ended and we'd get a pittance of a development fee. Sell him now for the smaller fee and we can insert potentially lucrative clauses.

We'll likely have to get used to this kind of thing as the academy churns out more talent. Sticks in the throat definitely but I don't see what else the club are supposed to do. We can't force Reid to sign a longer contract, nor command a huge fee for a player who couldn't get into a League 1 team last season and has been earmarked to play for "B" teams in the Lowland League next season.

That isn't what happened with Pollard at all.

His da hawked him round several clubs after they moved down the road so his sister could sign for Celtic. When Celtic said no, his da caused a carry on and she left to join Motherwell (I think). This was after his da demanded he get to train with the Dons first team.

He is a very talented player but he struggles with the size at his own age, never mind the first team.

He ended up not playing for almost a year before Rangers took him on.

IIRC guys like Mallan & Morgan both went for around £300k as it was accepted this would be the same as any development fee due - I know Reid is younger but is £125k really all we'd get if he was to go at the end of this season?