The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

48 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

It's similar to Stevie Thompson for me.

Never prolific in England but he was a good solid number 9. And maybe more importantly, a clever number 9 in terms of link up and bringing others into the game. That will translate well up here.

Fletcher is bringing a lot of experience and fair bit of pedigree to Dundee Utd and if he does stay fit (something that was also very questionable when we signed Thommo given his history - a lot of folk forget that nowadays because he was always fit in his first 3 seasons) he's going to be a massive player for them.

Put it this way, if I woke up yesterday with Steven Fletcher waving a Saints scarf above his head, you'd have had to peel me off the ceiling. If they do end up supplementing that by signing Gogic and McGrath to add to Levitt, and then replace Siegrest with the not quite as good but still more than acceptable Zander Clark, then they've honestly had a fucking amazing transfer window on paper.

Fletcher's 35 now and Thommo was 32 when he signed for us. We got three superb 15+ goal seasons in a row from Thompson. By his fourth season he was 35 and past it, and we got relegated as a result. 

So yeah, three years ago Fletcher would have been a terrific signing. At 35 though? Not for me, too old. 

2 hours ago, SuperSaints1877 said:

I see Livingston have an all black home kit and a predominately all white away kit. So once again we won’t be able to wear the stripes against these cnuts. Boo.

Haven’t seen the Livvy home kit yet, just the white away one with the thick black stripe. Got any pics of their new home one? I thought our away kit was meant to be all-black this coming season. Problems there then.

Edited by pozbaird

1 hour ago, Arch Stanton said:

FFS, can this metamorphosise back into The St. Mirren FC thread?

No problem…. Get the away kit launched, get the car park passes sorted, get us our new season ticket cards, gie’s a signing, gie’s two signings, get it sorted Kibble, FFS Cheesy.

That’ll do for starters.

2 hours ago, pozbaird said:

Haven’t seen the Livvy home kit yet, just the white away one with the thick black stripe. Got any pics of their new home one? I thought our away kit was meant to be all-black this coming season. Problems there then.

On their shop website they still had last years old black home shirt alongside a white effort that I thought was their new top so my mistake. Hopefully their home top this year is yellow and we are not forced to change when at home. 

I hate seeing us playing in our away strip at home.

2 minutes ago, SuperSaints1877 said:

On their shop website they still had last years old black home shirt alongside a white effort that I thought was their new top so my mistake. Hopefully their home top this year is yellow and we are not forced to change when at home. 

I hate seeing us playing in our away strip at home.

Their fans seem to think it will be amber this season. If it is black, and their new away kit is actually something Joma could have considered as an option for a home St Mirren kit, then someone in the SPFL bunker needs their stones booted. That would be two seasons in a row no-one there thought to ask them what they planned to wear in Paisley.

7 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

The team wore the red kit 18 times out of 38 league games last season including at least 5 times at home.

This needs to be our next home kit. Closely followed by us telling Livingston and the SPFL to fcuk off. 😎

4236449C-5D74-4D4B-BC1B-1F905C32B0BA.jpeg

Looking ahead to tomorrow, it might end up being a stroke of luck getting the second strongest seeds in game 1.

Ian Campbell is not very happy at having to play so early in July.  Says that Arbroath will only have had 4 or 5 training sessions going into the game: https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/3361560/arbroath-pre-season-preparations-premier-sports/

In last Saturday's 1-1 draw with Montrose they started with 3 trialists and only had 4 subs. Apparently, a number of their first team were on holiday. 

1 hour ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Looking ahead to tomorrow, it might end up being a stroke of luck getting the second strongest seeds in game 1.

Ian Campbell is not very happy at having to play so early in July.  Says that Arbroath will only have had 4 or 5 training sessions going into the game: https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/3361560/arbroath-pre-season-preparations-premier-sports/

In last Saturday's 1-1 draw with Montrose they started with 3 trialists and only had 4 subs. Apparently, a number of their first team were on holiday. 

The sort of scenario that we usually excel at messing up.

Feel we could maybe do with someone who can score relatively regularly from midfield as we don't really seem to have replaced the goals of Ronan. O'Hara has scored a few in pre-season but has never been that prolific and neither has Kiltie. Doesn't look like it'll happen though given we're still after Gogic or, presumably, someone similar.

On a completely separate note, someone has updated Wikipedia with the new squad numbers. No idea if they're accurate: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Mirren_F.C.#First-team_squad

Edited by Stu

2 hours ago, Stu said:

The sort of scenario that we usually excel at messing up.

Feel we could maybe do with someone who can score relatively regularly from midfield as we don't really seem to have replaced the goals of Ronan. O'Hara has scored a few in pre-season but has never been that prolific and neither has Kiltie. Doesn't look like it'll happen though given we're still after Gogic or, presumably, someone similar.

On a completely separate note, someone has updated Wikipedia with the new squad numbers. No idea if they're accurate: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Mirren_F.C.#First-team_squad

O'Hara looks a bargain so far. If he can stay fit he will get a few goals. He and Ethan looked a good pairing. 

On 08/07/2022 at 13:48, Munoz said:

I imagine Fletcher will still do a job in Scotland, but tbh, I'm not one for an envious sideways glance at other teams signings. I only give a hoot about what we're doing. 

Fletcher is a complete waste of money. He’s just up to rip them off