The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

25 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

The Queens Park loan move was a bit of a disaster: ruined half the season for Reid unfortunately. 

Sent there for game time presumably but they didn't play him. Very odd. You'd have thought we'd have sought assurances he wouldn't just be stuck on the bench. Robinson then recalled him but he was unable to play due to the loan rules.

Very few players are ready for first time Premiership football at 16, and i don't think Reid was either. John McGinn, Kenny McLean and Lewis Morgan were nowhere near our first team at 16 and they're all full internationals. I am sure Reid will go on to have a great career, but the fact he couldn't get a game for Queens Park when he went there shows he wasn't ready for us yet. 

15 minutes ago, Lex said:

Very few players are ready for first time Premiership football at 16, and i don't think Reid was either. John McGinn, Kenny McLean and Lewis Morgan were nowhere near our first team at 16 and they're all full internationals. I am sure Reid will go on to have a great career, but the fact he couldn't get a game for Queens Park when he went there shows he wasn't ready for us yet. 

My point was that he had a messy few months or so after Christmas with next to no game time. Did very little for his development which must be frustrating for the club.

Contrast with the likes of Offord who really kicked on starting in the Lowland League every week. Maybe that's where Reid should have gone rather than a team challenging for promotion in League 1.

We've got a fantastic training facility too.
Regardless there's always someone with something better.
Like Aberdeen and Sevco we are an Elite Academy which does take into account facilities and coaching. Don't think facilities would make much difference. Main influence is his family are Sevco diehards.

3 minutes ago, NorthBank said:
42 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:
We've got a fantastic training facility too.
Regardless there's always someone with something better.

Like Aberdeen and Sevco we are an Elite Academy which does take into account facilities and coaching. Don't think facilities would make much difference. Main influence is his family are Sevco diehards.

Wasn't talking about Reid specifically. We were just talking about young players leaving early in general.

27 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

I’m hearing that Gogic hasn’t closed the door on returning. 

Still seems highly unlikely but it would be a great bit of business if we could tempt him back.

He is too busy sunning himself just now. I would genuinely push the boat out a bit for him. There may be similar out there but he fits our system perfectly

2 hours ago, glenburn bud said:

I’m hearing that Gogic hasn’t closed the door on returning. 

Still seems highly unlikely but it would be a great bit of business if we could tempt him back.

Utd fans still seem convinced that Gogic and McGrath both going to be signing for them.

16 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Have they robbed a bank or found Accies Nigerian Prince ?

The released something like 15 players in the summer, so appear to be hoping for the quality over quantity route.

Levitt signed permanent for them today as well. £300k for a 21 year old full international is amazing business, particularly as they'll get almost all of that transfer fee back from FIFA if Wales do call him into the 23 man squad - the callup will get them about £250k off of FIFA.

The released something like 15 players in the summer, so appear to be hoping for the quality over quantity route.
Levitt signed permanent for them today as well. £300k for a 21 year old full international is amazing business, particularly as they'll get almost all of that transfer fee back from FIFA if Wales do call him into the 23 man squad - the callup will get them about £250k off of FIFA.

If rumours are true Zander Clark, McGrath and Gogic deals all close for them too. If that happens (or even 2 of the 3) theirs will easily be the best business at least before a ball is kicked in anger.

I think they'll be fighting Hearts for third place if all that comes off. Fair play to them, it's very ambitious.

Jack Ross definitely has one good league season in him at every club. Fortunately he can't do big occasions so they're still unlikely actually to win anything.

I wouldn’t push the boat out for Gogic at all. He was very good for us on loan once he got going but not the superstar folk seem to have him pegged as. I’d give him a contract that reflects his importance to the team but we certainly shouldn’t be throwing everything we have left at him to sign.

18 minutes ago, SuperSaints1877 said:

I see Livingston have an all black home kit and a predominately all white away kit. So once again we won’t be able to wear the stripes against these cnuts. Boo.

Make them wear Morton tops.

4 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:
12 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

If rumours are true Zander Clark, McGrath and Gogic deals all close for them too. If that happens (or even 2 of the 3) theirs will easily be the best business at least before a ball is kicked in anger.

Have to agree. Utd look to be building a decent team. 

Fletcher might do the business in the SPFL, but he has had a lot of injury issues in the last couple of years, due to age and wear and tear, and he only managed three goals last season. United really need him to score regularly as they don’t have great options up front.

4 minutes ago, Kempes said:

Fletcher might do the business in the SPFL, but he has had a lot of injury issues in the last couple of years, due to age and wear and tear, and he only managed three goals last season. United really need him to score regularly as they don’t have great options up front.

It's similar to Stevie Thompson for me.

Never prolific in England but he was a good solid number 9. And maybe more importantly, a clever number 9 in terms of link up and bringing others into the game. That will translate well up here.

Fletcher is bringing a lot of experience and fair bit of pedigree to Dundee Utd and if he does stay fit (something that was also very questionable when we signed Thommo given his history - a lot of folk forget that nowadays because he was always fit in his first 3 seasons) he's going to be a massive player for them.

Put it this way, if I woke up yesterday with Steven Fletcher waving a Saints scarf above his head, you'd have had to peel me off the ceiling. If they do end up supplementing that by signing Gogic and McGrath to add to Levitt, and then replace Siegrest with the not quite as good but still more than acceptable Zander Clark, then they've honestly had a fucking amazing transfer window on paper.

He’s played like 90 games in his 2 seasons at Stoke, that hardly screams injury prone does it.