The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

33 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

I assume that Murray's game time in friendlies is part of our sales pitch ahead of him making a decision on who he'll sign for at 16. We managed to persuade Dylan Reid but who knows....... 

Anyway, great to see that the academy is becoming a bit of a conveyor belt and, with its newly-acquired "elite" status, should get even better.

We'll find out on July 30th, when he turns 16, according to Robinson.

59 minutes ago, Spam_Valley said:

On a scale of Chic Young to Kyle McAllisters maw. How much hunnery does Dylan Reid’s da possess?

Well he seemed more proud of the timing, place and occasion of his son's debut (Ibrox the day Rangers won the league) than the fact he made his debut or became the top flight's youngest ever player in doing so.

3 hours ago, houston_bud said:

Presumably he'll get more money at Rangers but more than that, the attraction of a bigger club will always turn heads. Rangers win trophies

They (whatever way you look at their club) have won only 1 major trophy more than St Mirren in the last 10 years. It’s about time we all moved away from the mindset of Rangers as some sort of winning machine. 

If the very best prospects are picked for a low £100k plus add ons/% of future transfers that doesn't preclude others breaking into the first team.  It's not binary and quite possibly will be the reality.

10 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

They (whatever way you look at their club) have won only 1 major trophy more than St Mirren in the last 10 years. It’s about time we all moved away from the mindset of Rangers as some sort of winning machine. 

OK, but they've won 2 trophies in two years. Let's not be daft, Rangers will win more trophies than St Mirren over Dylan Reid's career. 

45 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Well he seemed more proud of the timing, place and occasion of his son's debut (Ibrox the day Rangers won the league) than the fact he made his debut or became the top flight's youngest ever player in doing so.

McAllisters maw end of the scale then

1 hour ago, davidmcc said:

If the very best prospects are picked for a low £100k plus add ons/% of future transfers that doesn't preclude others breaking into the first team.  It's not binary and quite possibly will be the reality.

A selection of players developed by our rivals who have moved on for big fees:

Hibs: £4.4 million (Brown)

Aberdeen: £4 million (Ramsay)

Motherwell: £3.2 million (Turnbull), £1.5 million (Scott)

St Johnstone: £1.2 million (McCann)

I think the likelihood of us making similar money from one of our prospects is increasing all the time. You need a bit of luck though: perhaps a boy who doesn't really stand out at ages 15-17 but then really develops after that when you've got him tied down on a 2 or 3 year contract.

1 hour ago, Buttocks Brown said:

A selection of players developed by our rivals who have moved on for big fees:

Hibs: £4.4 million (Brown)

Aberdeen: £4 million (Ramsay)

Motherwell: £3.2 million (Turnbull), £1.5 million (Scott)

St Johnstone: £1.2 million (McCann)

I think the likelihood of us making similar money from one of our prospects is increasing all the time. You need a bit of luck though: perhaps a boy who doesn't really stand out at ages 15-17 but then really develops after that when you've got him tied down on a 2 or 3 year contract.

We got anywhere between £1.25m-£2.5 million for Steven Naismith.

6 hours ago, ZingaliMan said:

Any father who has even half a marble will understand their kid will get first team experience years before any big club could give first experience.  On that I would be surprised any will move on. 

You're a lucky person you've clearly never met any Rangers fans.

Edited by thomas

I hope the parents of Dylan and Murray will look to the McGinn family who shunned joining Celtic for staying at Paisley for games, it hasn’t worked out too bad for them. They shouldn’t be in a hurry to get to a big club, learn their trade and the big moves will come. 

11 hours ago, ZingaliMan said:

Any father who has even half a marble will understand their kid will get first team experience years before any big club could give first experience.  On that I would be surprised any will move on. 

You've to weight it up with the chance to secure their future financially, along with a higher standard of facilities, coaching and teammates.

27 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

You've to weight it up with the chance to secure their future financially, along with a higher standard of facilities, coaching and teammates.

The biggest joke in Scottish Football is Colts being aloud into the league. The dark side has already taken youngsters from clubs no doubt go on to swoop up more . 

1 hour ago, Lola montez said:

I hope the parents of Dylan and Murray will look to the McGinn family who shunned joining Celtic for staying at Paisley for games, it hasn’t worked out too bad for them. They shouldn’t be in a hurry to get to a big club, learn their trade and the big moves will come. 

Unfortunately for Dylan at the very least, he comes from a Rangers supporting family. 

I think the reason for us only offering a length of a 2 year deal to Dylan before he signed was down to him and his family/agent. Disappointingly, Goodwin never gave him much game time at all, even as a sub. He looked very comfortable in any game id seen him play.
Ideally, we would have had him on at the very a 3 year to allow time to get game time and raise his exposure (not that he needs it due to interest). He's into the final 12 months of his contract where we will end up getting something in the region of 350kish (a guesstimate) in a development fee end of the season as a fall back if he doesn't go now.

if he goes now, we should be pushing for at least close to 7 figures plus sell-on, considering the interest in him. If Rangers are not willing to match our valuation ( I can't see them having budget to invest that much in a youngster), I am sure he will happily sit and run down his contract and get his dream move.

If there was not the sentimental involvement for him on moving to Rangers, I am sure we could convince him to extend his stay, though only just turned 17 in March/April.

Edited by smellthepaw

59 minutes ago, smellthepaw said:

if he goes now, we should be pushing for at least close to 7 figures plus sell-on, considering the interest in him. If Rangers are not willing to match our valuation ( I can't see them having budget to invest that much in a youngster), I am sure he will happily sit and run down his contract and get his dream move.

That's a pretty crazy outlook, IMO.

2 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

We've got training facilities built barely a decade ago, not some corrugated iron tin hut with the doors hanging off.

38 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

That's a pretty crazy outlook, IMO.

In terms of valuation or him running down his contract? It is just my opinion.

Imo also I think Robinson this season had every intention of giving him game time to keep him closer to feeling settled and possibly extending his stay. Our business model has always been about promoting youth and Robinson seems to be buying into that more than Goody.

Signing the 2 year deal was with the assumption he would get first team exposure, which he has had very little of so far. He's had very good history of it at Motherwell.

His boyhood team are Rangers, so there is every possibility he goes there eventually if its not now whether that's playing it out in the Lowland for a couple of years or not. The boy Lowry has been knocking on the door of the first team and he's only 2 years older. Could have a similar path to first team if deemed good enough.

Edited by smellthepaw

1 hour ago, smellthepaw said:

Disappointingly, Goodwin never gave him much game time at all, even as a sub. 

The Queens Park loan move was a bit of a disaster: ruined half the season for Reid unfortunately. 

Sent there for game time presumably but they didn't play him. Very odd. You'd have thought we'd have sought assurances he wouldn't just be stuck on the bench. Robinson then recalled him but he was unable to play due to the loan rules.

Edited by Buttocks Brown

36 minutes ago, btb said:

We've got training facilities built barely a decade ago, not some corrugated iron tin hut with the doors hanging off.

We've got a fantastic training facility too.

Regardless there's always someone with something better.