The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

2 minutes ago, H Wragg said:

Just saw this Hartlepool cancellation thing.

Were there some fans booked down for a wee jolly? Shite if so.

I'd imagine if Thistle had announced a pre season friendly in a reasonably accessible north east England town there would've been keen interest.

The game was scheduled for SMP. Only their fans would have been inconvenienced.

Ref "the North-East", we did play Darlington away in 2008 and about 500 Saints fans made the journey. In their 28k capacity "Reynolds Dome" we were behind one goal while about the same number of Darlington fans were behind the other goal making for a surreal experience.

We won 1-0 and a guy who was a trialist from the Spanish 3rd division, Tonet Mayoral assisted and was offered a 1 year deal. In his 3rd appearance he was sent off v Hearts and never played for us again.

Sometimes these pre-season games have negative consequences.

15 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Ref "the North-East", we did play Darlington away in 2008 and about 500 Saints fans made the journey. In their 28k capacity "Reynolds Dome" we were behind one goal while about the same number of Darlington fans were behind the other goal making for a surreal experience.

We won 1-0 and a guy who was a trialist from the Spanish 3rd division, Tonet Mayoral assisted and was offered a 1 year deal. In his 3rd appearance he was sent off v Hearts and never played for us again.

I was at that game, it's just down the road from me. Darlington is a shithole and that ground a hideous white elephant.

2 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

While you can never read too much into pre-season games, the defending for the last 3 goals conceded from open play would embarrass a schoolboy.

Speaking of which, Campbell, Taylor, Reid and Offord all did well when they came on.

Couldn't agree more see a good few pumpings. Coming our way this season .

2 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

IIRC The closest they came to a sell out of that stadium was when Elton John played there... 

A disgrace what happened to that wee club.  

Couldn't agree more see a good few pumpings. Coming our way this season .
Based on what exactly ?

We routinely don't win home pre season kick abouts and never once has it a single iota of influence on how the season ahead pans out. I honestly can't remember the last time we won a home pre season game v English opposition, it's a fitness exercise and has absolutely no bearing on what's to come. If we fail to qualify in the LC group then you can start to form legitimate concerns but before that results mean nothing.

All that said we could sign have the Liverpool 1st team and you would still expect a good few pumpings and defeat every week.

I remember us winning a pen shootout at Rugby Park in the LC in Stubbs 1st game and folk were on here creaming themselves at his signings, how did that pan out ? Making and snap decisions before we have played several (probably min 8-10 imo) competitive games is madness.

29 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Based on what exactly ?

We routinely don't win home pre season kick abouts and never once has it a single iota of influence on how the season ahead pans out. I honestly can't remember the last time we won a home pre season game v English opposition, it's a fitness exercise and has absolutely no bearing on what's to come. If we fail to qualify in the LC group then you can start to form legitimate concerns but before that results mean nothing.

All that said we could sign have the Liverpool 1st team and you would still expect a good few pumpings and defeat every week.

I remember us winning a pen shootout at Rugby Park in the LC in Stubbs 1st game and folk were on here creaming themselves at his signings, how did that pan out ? Making and snap decisions before we have played several (probably min 8-10 imo) competitive games is madness.

Just put him on ignore.

It will save you having read a copy and paste of what he's posted on here for the past few seasons.

It also starves him of the attention that he seeks.

1 hour ago, Billy Jean King said:

Based on what exactly ?

The players will have been doing double sessions as well and no doubt trained the morning before the game. In the run up to competitive games squads do lighter sessions the day before. It's impossible to judge based on pre season friendlies.

1 hour ago, FTOF said:

Just put him on ignore.

It will save you having read a copy and paste of what he's posted on here for the past few seasons.

It also starves him of the attention that he seeks.

I don't give a shit about attention I'm giving my opinion the same as everyone else or is the forum just for happy clappers.

There is no way we can be judged on a pre season. Once the real action starts then we will see how poor or how good we are. I would rather have our players than Killie or St Johnstone. 

Time will tell but we still have Baccus and Brophey to come in and there will be one or 2 others. 

We will certainly not be playing 15 year olds when the real action starts. 

I believe this season could also see the proper emergence of Ethan. 

First goal  down to Flynn completely missing his header. He won't be able to do that from the subs bench or the main stand. A lot of tired looking tackles put in for the 2nd goal. Third was down to a 15 year old getting caught on the wrong side of his man.

Definitely relegation material.:lol:

Interesting to note that Brophy is being treated with "kids gloves" regarding pre-season, to try and rid him of the cycles of injury he has encountered so far. Looks like our new physio, has put this in place.

Also, Baccus arrival, like other club's foreign signings, being hindered by red tape.:thumbsdown

Edited by FTOF

Reid linked with Rangers in the paper today. 

Thought he was really good when he came on last night. Would like to see him get a game more often this season. 

If I remember correctly, his dad is staunch as f**k so I'm guessing he'll be pressing for him to go (if true)

Just now, jm1 said:

Reid linked with Rangers in the paper today. 

Thought he was really good when he came on last night. Would like to see him get a game more often this season. 

If I remember correctly, his dad is staunch as f**k so I'm guessing he'll be pressing for him to go (if true)

Apparently so.

Can only see this ending one way.

A couple of hundred grand and significant add ons.

3 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Apparently so.

Can only see this ending one way.

A couple of hundred grand and significant add ons.

Time for me to put on my ‘young talent fcuks off after five minutes in the stripes’ hat again? Oh well. There you go. Etc.

1 minute ago, pozbaird said:

Time for me to put on my ‘young talent fcuks off after five minutes in the stripes’ hat again? Oh well. There you go. Etc.

Its not just us, if you read the article Rangers have snapped up young players from Motherwell, ICT, PT, Aberdeen and Millwall including the hilariously named Lancelot Pollard.

2 hours ago, FTOF said:

First goal  down to Flynn completely missing his header. He won't be able to do that from the subs bench or the main stand. A lot of tired looking tackles put in for the 2nd goal. Third was down to a 15 year old getting caught on the wrong side of his man.

Definitely relegation material.:lol:

Interesting to note that Brophy is being treated with "kids gloves" regarding pre-season, to try and rid him of the cycles of injury he has encountered so far. Looks like our new physio, has put this in place.

Also, Baccus arrival, like other club's foreign signings, being hindered by red tape.:thumbsdown

Going from Robinson's interview after the game, it doesn't sound as if Main or Brophy will be fit before the league season starts. Said something about not being available for the cup - although he could just have been talking about this weekend rather than the entire group stage.