The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

56 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Have never heard of the like before, what a tinpot outfit. I guess we'll be phoning around to see if we get someone to play us behind closed doors instead. 

5 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Have never heard of the like before, what a tinpot outfit. I guess we'll be phoning around to see if we get someone to play us behind closed doors instead. 

Yeah, tinpot sums it up. You accept a friendly, then pull out three days before, and it isn’t anything to do with a Covid crisis, an injury crisis, or somesuch? You just decide you’ve changed your mind? It will interfere with your preparations for the season? Fcuk um’.

38 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Yeah, tinpot sums it up. You accept a friendly, then pull out three days before, and it isn’t anything to do with a Covid crisis, an injury crisis, or somesuch? You just decide you’ve changed your mind? It will interfere with your preparations for the season? Fcuk um’.

Interesting approach Paul Hartley is taking to endear himself to the fans of his new club. No doubt quite a few will have made plans and booked travel / accommodation.

Can just imagine this place if Saints had, for no good reason, pulled out of the Linfield game 3 days ago....

44 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Depends on how you would decide what defines you as the best.

Precisely. So given the wiggle room within the phrase 'one of the best', both in terms of scope and the total number included, it's reasonable to say we probably are. 🤷‍♂️

4 hours ago, pozbaird said:

Bear in mind, we also pulled the kick-off time forward to 7pm at Hartlepool's request.

What a Mickey Mouse outfit. If the roles were reversed, the 'my nan could score 20 a season in Scotland' brigade would be out in full voice.

3 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Bear in mind, we also pulled the kick-off time forward to 7pm at Hartlepool's request.

What a Mickey Mouse outfit. If the roles were reversed, the 'my nan could score 20 a season in Scotland' brigade would be out in full voice.

I'm sure we'll be able to rearrange a game with The Burgh.

They'll give us a tougher game.:thumsup2

6 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Robinson confirming in post match interview that the other player he's wanting to add ASAP is indeed a midfielder.

He also mentioned he'd like potentially 'another couple' in.

It's mad, in a good way, that we currently don't have any loan players in. When was the last time we had a pretty much complete squad free of loanees?

I realise it's a bit of a 'Yer Facebook Da' argument to say that loan players just block the opportunities for our own young players, but when you see our benches full of youth team guys, it's pretty heartwarming.

That said, I do wonder if we might still bring a loan in, if they're of sufficient Ronan/Gogic-esque quality.

5 hours ago, jimmy boo said:

Wasn't going to a meaningless game anyway so not bothered.

It's not meaningless though in the sense that it's our final pre season friendly and opportunity to get minutes in legs at this point. Guys like Main, Brophy and Olusanya have all been getting back to fitness and Tuesday's game was a potential opportunity for them to get a bit of football before the competitive stuff starts.

Scores and performances mean very little at this point but calling off a friendly with less than 72 hours notice is a pretty big pain in the arse for the club and squad.

12 hours ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Same thing happened a few seasons ago with Morecambe. They cancelled the game v Saints in order to play an English team (can't recall who).

14 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Same thing happened a few seasons ago with Morecambe. They cancelled the game v Saints in order to play an English team (can't recall who).

It was Wigan. Morecambe did compensate me for accomodation and travel costs as I'd pre-booked these. I assume there may be some Hartlepool fans looking for their club to do the same . Forgetting financial costs they have messed up people's plans for Tuesday which is unacceptable and questions yet again how much some clubs bother about their fans . Would have been different if covid or weather had caused postponement