The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

I was genuinely confused at seeing Keanu Baccus referred to as the 'Parklea Messi' by some on Twitter. Further reading revealed that Parklea are one of his former clubs.

I'm relieved, then, to find that he definitely has no history linking him to the Parklea playing fields, next to the A8 at Port Glasgow.

28 minutes ago, Dirty Sanchez said:

I was genuinely confused at seeing Keanu Baccus referred to as the 'Parklea Messi' by some on Twitter. Further reading revealed that Parklea are one of his former clubs.

I'm relieved, then, to find that he definitely has no history linking him to the Parklea playing fields, next to the A8 at Port Glasgow.

I’ve still got bits of the red blaze in my knee from those pitches, playing in goals against Port Glasgow with shorts on many years ago. 

17 hours ago, smellthepaw said:

McGrath never really offered much goalscoring return last season and Ronan was not known to us or had as successful a stint at his previous clubs via goals than he did with us. Ronan came in as a complete unknown to us and delivered well above our expectations. Not to say any of our new players can deliver as positive an impact.

Agreed, McGrath wasn't as much of a goal threat last season but was still capable of a moment of brilliance, a bit like Ronan, even Mallan. Hopefully the new guys chip in with goals and assists, definitely not writing off the lower league players from England but it's not a market we have had much luck in. Ronan was playing at a good level before his injury.

17 hours ago, pozbaird said:

Fixed it for ya’.

😁. Ronan definitely stepped up when McGrath wasn't scoring his penalties. Creativity and goal scoring was an issue with both of them in the team. We seem worse off in midfield in that respect but it appears we will be much more energetic with these box to box midfielders signed, which was also an issue last season.

17 hours ago, Lex said:

I think Kiltie is the key here, he had far better figures than McGrath last season and he never even took a penalty either. Big season for him and if he stays fit and in form I can see him getting double figures. 

Got high hopes for Kiltie, took him a while to get going but when he did he was brilliant. Where is he going to fit in and in what system? Same with Brophy and Main. Kiltie has to play in the number 10 role. 

We should be a threat from set pieces at least. 

On fitba’ tap related matters - the club have seemingly managed to avoid a pre-season tour taking place with badged up training tops, or having to wear last season’s kit. The reveal launch photo also co-incides with kids stopping for school holidays this week.

I know those things should be a baseline requirement with any ‘technical supplier’, but let’s be honest, we have previous. 

If they don’t run out of kid’s sizes after one day, and if the sponsor logo stays on (and doesn’t have an old Graham’s Buses one underneath), then it’s applauds and backslaps all around, and a hearty chorus of Cliff Richard’s ‘Congratulations’ for all involved this year. 😄

6 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

On fitba’ tap related matters - the club have seemingly managed to avoid a pre-season tour taking place with badged up training tops, or having to wear last season’s kit. The reveal launch photo also co-incides with kids stopping for school holidays this week.

I know those things should be a baseline requirement with any ‘technical supplier’, but let’s be honest, we have previous. 

If they don’t run out of kid’s sizes after one day, and if the sponsor logo stays on (and doesn’t have an old Graham’s Buses one underneath), then it’s applauds and backslaps all around, and a hearty chorus of Cliff Richard’s ‘Congratulations’ for all involved this year. 😄

Think it's woven into the shirt (like Skyview originally was last season) so no concerns on that front!

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

Think it's woven into the shirt (like Skyview originally was last season) so no concerns on that front!

No concerns if everyone follows my idiots guide to washing polyester fitba’ taps either. I have a fine collection of Xara and Hummel taps’, all pristine and 100% sponsor logo perfect. Despite my adherence to my fitba’ tap washing routine, was wearing an older Newcastle United Adidas tap at the gym recently, and I swear, as I was on a rowing machine, the individual blue letters of the ‘Northern Rock’ sponsor logo started falling off and landed in my lap. Swear to goodness I got off the machine with something approaching ‘Nrte Rc’ still left. 😀

New CEO: on the ball, local guy, saying all the right things, seems to get the club.
Transfer business: virtually done already and looks promising. Strengthened in areas that needed it. Shame about Gogic but it was always going to be a long shot IMO.
Manager: based on last night seems set on a 4-3-3 but we've seen he is willing to change that if/when required as well. I'm happy the back 3 seems not to be the preferred formation.
Squad: only lost Alnwick that I'd have wanted to keep, and Carson is a great replacement.
Shirt: looks great, and the reveal was the best ever. That legends/community vibe was spot-on.

Can't remember a summer ever going as smoothly as this. Feels weird. Obviously we need to see the signings in action but the likes of O'Hara, Carson and Gallagher have pedigree at this level. The two wide forwards look to have physique and pace and w are very well stocked for strikers now, including the young lads. I hope at last one of those will stay in the squad.

11 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Swear to goodness I got off the machine with something approaching ‘Nrte Rc’ still left. 😀

When the logo lasts longer than the bank itself... 🙄

Edited by Coventry Saint

18 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Nah, Dunfermline are mostly white with black pinstripes 50% of the time.

Not sure where you're getting this from, we've had white with black pinstripes about 6 times in the past 25 years.