The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Apparently Baccus is a box to box with a bit of flair
Interesting. O'Hara's said in an interview that Robbo said he is box to box. If playing 3 in the middle I can see why need high energy box to box. Need Gogic or similar I think. With the players we have options with formations, but if we went 433 I cannot see how Kiltie fits, which would be a shame as he was great in the pocket behind the strikers.

12 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Just having a gander at SkyBet odds. Pretty bizarre that ourselves and Ross County are the favourites for relegation and playoffs. County finished top 6 last season FFS and they are now favourites to go down.

St. Johnstone slightly ahead of us but looking at it, I'm far happier with our situation than Saintees who are adding to a lacklustre squad with a few pretty uninspired signings.

They’ll often make the smallest clubs in the league favourites for relegation so putting you and Ross County in the bottom two feels about right to me.

14 minutes ago, Mainstand Sweary Mob said:
5 hours ago, smellthepaw said:
Apparently Baccus is a box to box with a bit of flair

Interesting. O'Hara's said in an interview that Robbo said he is box to box. If playing 3 in the middle I can see why need high energy box to box. Need Gogic or similar I think. With the players we have options with formations, but if we went 433 I cannot see how Kiltie fits, which would be a shame as he was great in the pocket behind the strikers.

I think with the options we have there is the chance to drop to one off the lone striker and play 2 high pressing wide men too.

11 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

I'm not seeing how we have replaced Ronan/McGraths goals from midfield yet. 

McGrath never really offered much goalscoring return last season and Ronan was not known to us or had as successful a stint at his previous clubs via goals than he did with us. Ronan came in as a complete unknown to us and delivered well above our expectations. Not to say any of our new players can deliver as positive an impact.

17 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

I'm not seeing how we have replaced Ronan/McGraths goals from midfield yet. 

I think Kiltie is the key here, he had far better figures than McGrath last season and he never even took a penalty either. Big season for him and if he stays fit and in form I can see him getting double figures. 

IIRC we only got 2 last season, McGrath v Dundee and Brophy v Motherwell.  Hopefully the forthcoming season will see us back up to the level of 20/21.

Didn’t Brophy get two against Motherwell?
[emoji57]