The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

2 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

Met a guy at my friends birthday party last night who claimed to be a friend of Ryan Flynn. Some of the stuff he was claiming he had been told by Flynn doesn’t paint Robinson in the best light to say the least, and if what he said has any truth behind it I wouldn’t expect to see either Flynn or Erhahon playing any sort of part in the coming season. Obviously it’s not the best source but the guy seemed genuine, and told me this unprompted after I said I supported St Mirren. 

Some of the stuff he did say may explain a few of the terrible performances near the end of last season, apparently Robinson is a very abrasive character and doesn’t seem to mind butting heads with the players at training, quite literally in the case of Flynn and Erhahon. 

None of this would entirely surprise me. Robinson always struck me as quite agitated and abrasive on the sidelines, in contrast to JG who seemed much calmer by comparison. Having said that, there do seem to be a lot of players who are keen to link up with him again, so maybe some players are happy with that style.

6 minutes ago, Hendo said:

None of this would entirely surprise me. Robinson always struck me as quite agitated and abrasive on the sidelines, in contrast to JG who seemed much calmer by comparison. Having said that, there do seem to be a lot of players who are keen to link up with him again, so maybe some players are happy with that style.

That’s what I was thinking too, I could imagine Robinson getting heated with the players at training. The guy also said that Flynn told him Robinson is despised among last seasons squad, but I find that harder to believe. 

It’s possible that Flynn has told this guy a couple of stories that are probably quite normal for a training ground, and the guy is blowing them out of proportion to make himself sound like he knows more than he does. 

Jim McLean and Alex Ferguson were what could be described as abrasive characters. They were also successful football managers. There are numerous other examples.

Clearly, none of us want someone who is an abusive arsehole at the club, however Flynn is a mature, experienced player, so it would be hoped he could formally call anything too untoward out through the established channels. I acknowledge it is easy for me to say, and definitely more tricky for younger players and staff.

Tittle-tattle can be corrosive, though, and I wonder if Flynn would appreciate his mate sharing this stuff with random folk at parties....

Football training grounds are workplaces, there are going to be arguments, falling ours and people who don't especially get on. There will also be a lot of venting afterwards, especially during times when results weren't great. At the end of the day, Flynn has just signed a new contract at the club, to essentially be a squad back up player when there is no doubt in my mind he could have left and become a key player for a championship or even League 2 in England side. We've also had a bunch of players (and some backroom staff) who have worked with Robbo before happily sign up to do so again.

The only guys who have left are McCarthy and Alnwick, who have gone to bigger clubs and will be earning money St Mirren couldn't hope to match, and Power who wanted to stay but was struggling at the end of last season and has probably done quite well to get into another premier team. None of this really points to massive disquiet in the dressing room and a hatred of Robinson. They might not like him on a personal level all the time, but they seem perfectly happy to work with him.

17 minutes ago, Drooper said:

Jim McLean and Alex Ferguson were what could be described as abrasive characters. They were also successful football managers. There are numerous other examples.

Clearly, none of us want someone who is an abusive arsehole at the club, however Flynn is a mature, experienced player, so it would be hoped he could formally call anything too untoward out through the established channels. I acknowledge it is easy for me to say, and definitely more tricky for younger players and staff.

Tittle-tattle can be corrosive, though, and I wonder if Flynn would appreciate his mate sharing this stuff with random folk at parties....

I agree, I don’t think Flynn would be too happy at his pal telling a St Mirren fan he had met for 30 seconds about incidents that had happened at training. As I said above I do think the stories were slightly embellished to make them sound more dramatic. He was quite specific in some of the details, but I won’t post any of that on here when ultimately its a third hand story from a guy in a pub. 

3 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

Met a guy at my friends birthday party last night who claimed to be a friend of Ryan Flynn. Some of the stuff he was claiming he had been told by Flynn doesn’t paint Robinson in the best light to say the least, and if what he said has any truth behind it I wouldn’t expect to see either Flynn or Erhahon playing any sort of part in the coming season. Obviously it’s not the best source but the guy seemed genuine, and told me this unprompted after I said I supported St Mirren. 

Some of the stuff he did say may explain a few of the terrible performances near the end of last season, apparently Robinson is a very abrasive character and doesn’t seem to mind butting heads with the players at training, quite literally in the case of Flynn and Erhahon. 

Nothing new really, there has always been talk of Robinsons management style, abrasive is one way of putting it.

1 minute ago, IrishBhoy said:

I agree, I don’t think Flynn would be too happy at his pal telling a St Mirren fan he had met for 30 seconds about incidents that had happened at training. As I said above I do think the stories were slightly embellished to make them sound more dramatic. He was quite specific in some of the details, but I won’t post any of that on here when ultimately its a third hand story from a guy in a pub. 

I don't believe for a second Flynn would hang about when offered another year if things were quite as bad under the Robinson regime as being mentioned.

It happens with every manager - funnily enough as soon as he left, Goodwin had the same accusations thrown at him but rather than being outright confrontational as Robinson is being accused of, the Goodwin mutterings were more of the sleekit and calculated individual variety.

I don't believe for a single second though that the 'literally butting heads' part is true. End of the day, football is still a workplace and although incidents do happen, a manager being physical with their staff in this day and age is simply not going to fly and the guilty party would not be in the workplace the next day, at best suspended pending investigation and at worst summarily dismissed.

Just now, djchapsticks said:

I don't believe for a second Flynn would hang about when offered another year if things were quite as bad under the Robinson regime as being mentioned.

I must admit I didn’t know Flynn had just signed a contract in the summer when the guy was telling me this, and if I had I would have been asking why he decided to stay for another year under a manager that he despised. I have probably made a mistake posting it here as I wouldn’t like to think I’ve spread false information but it’s probably not that big a deal anyway. 

I do believe the training ground story has some sort of truth to it, as it would be a very strange thing for someone to make up, but it’s likely it’s been made to sound worse for dramatic effect. 

Back to football for a bit….

looking at the squad it’s good that we have the options to play a few different ways. Last pre season Goodwin went all in with the 352 by not signing any pacey wingers.
Hard to work out which way Robinson is going to start the season, his defensive signings (Gallagher/Strain) I would say point to a 3/5 at the back with Strain seemingly more a wing back like Tanser. If we go with the expected back 3 it would leave Fraser and Tait as the back up options. But looking at the midfield and up front it points to a 433. Potentially Gogic (or A.N other DM)/Baccus/OHara with Ayunga/Brophy/Olusanya up top, with Henderson, Erahon, Kiltie, Flynn and Reid the back up midfield options and Main and Grieve up top(think Kiltie could start to be fair depending on what type of player Baccus is if Gogic doesn’t sign)
so if we are to bring 1 more in I would expect it to be Gogic or another defensive type midfielder and that could it? 

At least we have options with formations. I do worry if go 433 where likes of Kiltie fit. He was great tail end of last season when in the pocket behind the front 2.

8 hours ago, AW saint said:

Our midfield needs a Gogic type of player to break up play. He for me would just about finish the squad. A couple of quality young loan signings and its looking good. 

Apparently Baccus is a box to box with a bit of flair

Hello lads. Couple of boys on loan from yous announced last night any idea on what they are like. Aiden Gilmartin & Ewan thomson
Can't really say as they are on the fringes of the first team squad and have only make a brief token appearance. However our Academy is one of the best so anyone coming through it should do a good job in the Lowland League. Best of luck for the season.

5 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

Flynn played for Robinson at Oldham, then went on to play under him at the tail end of last season and after all of that has gone on to sign a new deal.

I think the guy at the party was talking pish IMHO.

Until listening to Robinson's interview yesterday I had no idea our first friendly was tonight or the League Cup starts a week on Saturday. Feels like just the other day the season finished.