The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Ffs we really are a hard bunch to please.

Gallagher, despite a patchy couple of years is a very decent signing for a club looking to stay clear of relegation.

Assuming everyone is fit, joe, dunne and Gallagher to me is a very solid backline who shouldn’t get bullied by anyone.

9 minutes ago, geo87 said:

Ffs we really are a hard bunch to please.

Gallagher, despite a patchy couple of years is a very decent signing for a club looking to stay clear of relegation.

Assuming everyone is fit, joe, dunne and Gallagher to me is a very solid backline who shouldn’t get bullied by anyone.

Pretty much my feelings. Dunne, for all he's pretty limited, is very fast and that makes up for a lot of errors. Shaughnessy is a consistent 7 or 8 out of 10 most weeks and Gallagher would definitely add to the squad but I just don't really like the idea of stretching the budget for him.

If he was 5 or 6 years younger, then I'd be saying definitely go for it abd push the boat out but at 31, there's more downside than upside to him. It also puts our three first choice centre halves all around the 29-31 range. I'd like a signing maybe in the 22-25 age range that we could possibly get a few good years out of then either sell, or will be the established head at centre half when the other guys around him are too old and move on.

Personally I would really struggle to “support” an individual in or team who battered another human being with a baseball bat leading them to skull fracture, bleed on the brain and ultimately losing his career as a head chef. I’m only going on what I read in the gutter press but happy to be told otherwise if I have got this wrong.

I appreciate I might be in the minority, but I know the impact such assaults can have on the survivor. 

Just now, SuperSaints1877 said:

And that’s why I said it was in poor taste. Maybe you’ve never had a friend whose life has been destroyed by such a cowardly attack. Catch yerself on.

You're clearly one of those who's confused about the difference between the subject of a joke and the target of a joke. 

I wasn't making a joke about the attack, I was making a joke about the fact we're apparently considering signing a player with a criminal record for such an attack.

Now f**k off, you touchy twat.

3 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

The contract remains on the table for Gogic so there's definitely still wiggle room for another if he doesn't accept.

I think after that, if there is any further space, we'd be using it in the loan market for one or two players rather than offering more two year deals out.

I'll be honest, I'd be OK with Gallagher in despite the comments of Aberdeen and Motherwell fans. We saw and read similar from some quarters when we signed Shaughnessy and he's worked out pretty well. That being said, I definitely don't like the idea of stretching the budget all the way for a 31 year old who has had a couple of shaky seasons recently and who is on a very hefty wage.

Gallagher will be fine if he's not expected to be the main man in defence.

If he's only got to win headers and mark his man then he'll be fine.

Too much responsibility and it turns to shit 

17 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

You're clearly one of those who's confused about the difference between the subject of a joke and the target of a joke. 

I wasn't making a joke about the attack, I was making a joke about the fact we're apparently considering signing a player with a criminal record for such an attack.

Now f**k off, you touchy twat.

Double down you clown.

17 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Gallagher will be fine if he's not expected to be the main man in defence.

If he's only got to win headers and mark his man then he'll be fine.

Too much responsibility and it turns to shit 

Loss of form at the Dons, was it down to injury or maybe not coping with expectations?

Im reading stuff about injury and a virus hampered his start at Aberdeen, and he didn’t seem to settle.

15 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

You wouldn't be using phrases like that if you knew someone who had a clown related accident which ended their career.

Please think twice before posting such thoughtless insults.

Oh and nobody older than 12 years of age says "double down".

Managed to find you online.

22496169-9A50-4C5F-864C-40EF15432C67.thumb.jpeg.2ca5dbf9d06620ef402dc5f9a51df71f.jpeg

28 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

Loss of form at the Dons, was it down to injury or maybe not coping with expectations?

Im reading stuff about injury and a virus hampered his start at Aberdeen, and he didn’t seem to settle.

A bit of both I'd say.

When heads were down then he couldn't pick up his own, never mind the guys around him.

St Mirren could be the perfect move for him.

A bit of both I'd say.
When heads were down then he couldn't pick up his own, never mind the guys around him.
St Mirren could be the perfect move for him.

Whilst prone to the odd blunder (or two!), Joe is calmness personified and mr reliable, hopefully be a good calming influence for him to play beside and take the pressure off him.

27 minutes ago, SuperSaints1877 said:

You have no skin in the game, as you never go and watch St Mirren home or away. 

Didn't think our club thought it was too good to have supporters who don't attend matches. You can still support a club even if going to games isn't an option. Get this pish in the bin.

5 minutes ago, Buddiesaint said:

Didn't think our club thought it was too good to have supporters who don't attend matches. You can still support a club even if going to games isn't an option. Get this pish in the bin.

Sorry but this arrogant individual would rather watch an illegal stream than contribute to the club by financially supporting the team when he clearly has the money to do so.