The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

19 minutes ago, Buddiesaint said:

mentions he wants one more defender, hoping its done in the next few days, but sounds like after that its maybe only one more player if any.

Deffo driving the importance of fitness as you'd rightly expect at preseason. 

Possible that, if the defender is Declan Gallagher, then the financial outlay for his deal will mean he's the last one in.

I'd say though that Robinson's had a good window and we're good bit further along in getting our squad together than some of our rivals. Lots of competition for places, particularly in forward areas.

Will be really interesting to see too who starts the league season in the middle of the park:

O'Hara, Erhahon, Flynn, Baccus, Henderson, Kiltie, Reid, McMaster

If we see the emergence of Dylan Reid this season then maybe we could live without another midfielder. Hoping for some good performances in the League Cup group stages from him.

9 hours ago, Doctor Sanchez said:

Have the new strips been released yet?  I thought I saw chat about the away strip on Twitter, not seen any photos yet... 

Nothing yet. We must be in our annual race with St Johnstone to see who can be last to launch. I’m so used to the late launches now that I would find it a disappointing St Mirren close season  if we weren’t so late with it that the season has started, and we are forced to play a pre-season tour in badged-up training tops. Also, with the school holidays just started, the days continue to roll by as all the pals of St Mirren supporting kids are running around in the new ‘Old Firm’ / Barca / Liverpool / Man City / PSG shirts.

Edited by pozbaird

1 minute ago, Kempes said:

I get that Gallagher did well under Robinson at ‘Well, but I would be disappointed if we brought him to our club. Talk of stretching our budget and swapping good players for him is laughable.

He only did well with us to a point.

He got his Scotland call up and was our POTY in his first season but his 2nd season, with Robinson giving him the captaincy, was an absolute shambles. His form went off a cliff and it saw Robinson resign in December publicly calling out the dressing room and had us bottom of the league at the start of January.

I think most of the Aberdeen posters would agree that the comments from 'well fans on here when his PCA was announced were fair and accurate reflections of the version of Gallagher they've seen at Pittodrie.

5 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Possible that, if the defender is Declan Gallagher, then the financial outlay for his deal will mean he's the last one in.

The contract remains on the table for Gogic so there's definitely still wiggle room for another if he doesn't accept.

I think after that, if there is any further space, we'd be using it in the loan market for one or two players rather than offering more two year deals out.

I'll be honest, I'd be OK with Gallagher in despite the comments of Aberdeen and Motherwell fans. We saw and read similar from some quarters when we signed Shaughnessy and he's worked out pretty well. That being said, I definitely don't like the idea of stretching the budget all the way for a 31 year old who has had a couple of shaky seasons recently and who is on a very hefty wage.

Edited by djchapsticks

I admit, I'm still interested in the contracts for 'a couple of boys who were here previously' mentioned by Robinson last week.

Gogic is definitely one, think everyone has ruled Mallan out from being the other. So who could other one be? Out of contract former players include McCarthy, Mallan, McCart, Carey but I can't see it being any of them.

Edited by djchapsticks

16 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I admit, I'm still interested in the contracts for 'a couple of boys who were here previously' mentioned by Robinson last week.

Gogic is definitely one, think everyone has ruled Mallan out from being the other. So who could other one be? Out of contract former players include McCarthy, Mallan, McCart, Carey but I can't see it being any of them.

McCart is away to Rotherham. 

Carey was hawking himself around Scottish clubs in January so every chance he's at it again this Summer.

16 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I'll be honest, I'd be OK with Gallagher in despite the comments of Aberdeen and Motherwell fans. We saw and read similar from some quarters when we signed Shaughnessy and he's worked out pretty well. That being said, I definitely don't like the idea of stretching the budget all the way for a 31 year old who has had a couple of shaky seasons recently and who is on a very hefty wage.

Strange that we're really short at centre back yet DG is the first guy we've been linked with who plays there. From what I can make out the only other central defenders signed by clubs around us are Considine to Perth and Livi brought in a guy from Australia. I'm beginning to think that there's just a shortage of decent centre-halves out there (HoR has drawn a blank in England?). Maybe our hand is being forced a bit and Robinson is having to revert to someone he knows.

Confirmed players so far in a 4-3-3. I'm happy putting Ethan in there if he plays like he did in the last few games, but no question Gogic would be an upgrade. Just can't see him coming in at this stage, so probably between Ethan and Baccus to play alongside O'Hara.

-----------------Carson-----------

Strain - Shaughnessy - Dunne - Tanser

-------O'Hara -Erhahon-----

-----------Kiltie-----------

Olusanya - Brophy - Oyunga

Gallagher and Bates were defending like the Chuckle brothers last season. The season before he wasn’t great either. Maybe he’d regain his form here, who knows. I recall he was good at Livi and even as a young player on loan at Clyde. Obviously I don’t want to tear up the wage structure for Gallagher or Gogic, but given the choice of those two, I would opt for the guy who played well for us last season. Rather than the guy Aberdeen are desperate to ship out of their club. Opinions, eh?

Edited by Kempes

9 minutes ago, Kempes said:

Gallagher and Bates were defending like the Chuckle brothers last season. The season before he wasn’t great either. Maybe he’d regain his form here, who knows. I recall he was good at Livi and even as a young player on loan at Clyde. Obviously I don’t want to tear up the wage structure for Gallagher or Gogic, but given the choice of those two, I would opt for the guy who played well for us last season. Rather than the guy Aberdeen are desperate to ship out of their club. Opinions, eh?

Football wise, it wasn't that long ago that Gallagher was a stand out for Scotland, so he could rediscover that form.

Unfortunately, he has more baggage than the carousel at Glasgow Airport. If we sign him, I'll no longer be able to have a go at Livi fans on here for their propensity to sign criminals.

Our midfield still bothers me in terms of quality. We badly need a Gogic type of player. If we get another centre half then our defence looks stronger.  Interesting that Aberdeen are working on deals to sign McGrath and Ronan. 

1 hour ago, Billy Jean King said:
1 hour ago, Kempes said:
Forget Gallagher and double the offer made to Gogic. 

So you wouldn't want to "stretch" any budget for Dec Gallagher (despite there being no mention of having to) but we should double any offer on the table for Gogic. Right you are !

You could probably double Gogic wages and they would still be less than what Gallagher is on at Aberdeen.

I’m a bit unsure about Gallagher signing, the obvious question is about the baggage he brings and the issue of money. If he’s looking for anything near the reported 5k a week he’s on at Aberdeen then there’s no chance of him coming to us, unless he takes a massive wage cut.

I would be more inclined to push the boat out in terms of money for Gogic.

Edited by glenburn bud

2 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

I’m a bit unsure about Gallagher signing, the obvious question is about the baggage he brings and the issue of money. If he’s looking for anything near the reported 5k a week he’s on at Aberdeen then there’s no chance of him coming to us, unless he takes a massive wage cut.

That’s how I feel. If he is still under contract why would he leave for less money?

I still find it incredible that Aberdeen offered Considine a two year deal on a big salary and he rejected it. I’m glad we dodged a bullet there. Really big gamble by St Johnstone signing him after his ACL injury. 

2 minutes ago, SuperSaints1877 said:

That’s how I feel. If he is still under contract why would he leave for less money?

A pay off of some sort from Aberdeen where he's eneltering that last year of his contract, plus a 2 year deal with us I'd imagine. 

If we offer say £2k a week and Aberdeen agree to pay up half his remaining year, he'll still be earning more or less the same this year as he would sitting out a year at Aberdeen then risking no club being willing to pay next summer anything like what we're offering now due to lack of game time.

Not saying that's what's happening, just a possible reason.

3 minutes ago, SuperSaints1877 said:

I still find it incredible that Aberdeen offered Considine a two year deal on a big salary and he rejected it. I’m glad we dodged a bullet there. Really big gamble by St Johnstone signing him after his ACL injury. 

Considine represents a massive gamble fitness wise. Especially at his age, with such a bad injury.

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

A pay off of some sort from Aberdeen where he's eneltering that last year of his contract, plus a 2 year deal with us I'd imagine. 

If we offer say £2k a week and Aberdeen agree to pay up half his remaining year, he'll still be earning more or less the same this year as he would sitting out a year at Aberdeen then risking no club being willing to pay next summer anything like what we're offering now due to lack of game time.

Not saying that's what's happening, just a possible reason.

Yeah that makes sense. Personally I hope we don’t sign him. I never liked him as a player and less said about his criminal record. 
I’d rather we promoted from youth or signed a younger player from elsewhere.