The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

9 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

This is a great idea to help less fortunate folk get to the football. 

Definitely. I've given to the Keep the Arse Cheeks Out , I'll buy a ticket for a fan once the season gets going. 

Hopefully both are a success. 

18 minutes ago, FTOF said:

I see from footage on STV that Ryan Strain is training with the squad. Just waiting on international clearance it would seem.:thumsup2

Strain on paper is a bit of a coup for us. Guy on the fringes of the Australian national team, coming into his prime - he's been a bit unlucky past 12 months with hamstring injury and then missing his squad registration when he came back but hopefully that's past him now.

1 minute ago, Stu said:

https://news.stv.tv/sport/stephen-robinson-happy-to-add-pace-and-energy-with-st-mirrens-early-signings

Mentions offers in to players that were here previously. Gogic is one - assuming the McCarthy deal is still on the table? Or it's former Saints who were here a while ago.

I was trying to work out who he was talking about also.

The only other player we offered a contract to, who wasn't announced as leaving the club, was academy player Fraser Taylor.

Is it possible he's talking about Stevie Mallan? He didn't say they were at the club last season, just previously at the club. Even though the report itself mentions players from last season, SR doesn't say that.

Edited by djchapsticks

19 minutes ago, Stu said:

https://news.stv.tv/sport/stephen-robinson-happy-to-add-pace-and-energy-with-st-mirrens-early-signings

Mentions offers in to players that were here previously. Gogic is one - assuming the McCarthy deal is still on the table? Or it's former Saints who were here a while ago.

I would guess McCarthy.

Still unattached even though Scottish clubs are back in training now with English clubs to follow shortly? He must be getting a little twitchy.

I don't think we've been linked to one centre-half this summer despite us needing at least one. The club may have an inkling that McCarthy will want to revisit our contract offer.

46 minutes ago, McG said:

McCarthy has already left the club.

Could be a Shuggy Murray-type situation: announced that he'd turned down a contract and was leaving the club, looked like he was going join to Mansfield, didn't happen, came back up the road and signed the St Mirren contract after all.

Edited by Buttocks Brown