The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

3 hours ago, AW saint said:

I would be raging if we were making St Johnstone type signings. Wright and Consadine ffs

It seemed like we were linked with Drey Wright every window that Goodwin was here, and I never fancied him back then. Glad he’s went to St Johnstone, that’s got the hallmarks of a relegation signing. 

12 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

It seemed like we were linked with Drey Wright every window that Goodwin was here, and I never fancied him back then. Glad he’s went to St Johnstone, that’s got the hallmarks of a relegation signing. 

I always thought Drey Wright looked ok whenever I saw him play against us, same with Matty Kennedy, I never had that sense of doom everyone else had when we were linked with them. I'm not that bothered that we didn't now tbh, but I always felt one of them could maybe fill that troublesome RWB slot that we never really got right under JIm.

30 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

It seemed like we were linked with Drey Wright every window that Goodwin was here, and I never fancied him back then. 

TBF that was mostly me on this thread trying to will it into existence before we signed the fat jobber.

33 minutes ago, Mainstand Sweary Mob said:
36 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:
You get an idea of his pace from the first goal here.

He is rapid nicely taken

To be fair, the guy he sped past could have been slow as fuck.:rolleyes:

I like this type of signing.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

TBF that was mostly me on this thread trying to will it into existence before we signed the fat jobber.

I’m sure Goodwin mentioned him by name one transfer window, on a loan deal if I remember rightly. 

How did he do for you in his last spell? He’s always struck me as the kind of player that does absolutely hee haw for 4 or 5 games before popping up with a moment of magic that has the brain donors on Sportscene saying how good a player he is, then going on to do nothing again for the next 4 or 5 games. 

Might not be a popular opinion but I would have taken Considine at St Mirren. He’s a solid defender for this level and if he keeps himself fit I think he will do well at St Johnstone. He seems to have a good attitude towards the game and will set an example to younger players with regards to training and professionalism. Seen some St Johnstone fans on Twitter not happy with his signing but I don’t see any reason for that. 

5 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

I’m sure Goodwin mentioned him by name one transfer window, on a loan deal if I remember rightly. 

Both he and Scott Allan were about five minutes from signing, before the McGrath to Hibs deal fell through at the last minute.

Jamie McGrath Hibs transfer plus Scott Allan and Drey Wright cash makeweight and why it failed - Edinburgh Live

I so glad that deal fell through.

Imagine being lumbered with both of them.

Edited by FTOF

5 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

How did he do for you in his last spell? He’s always struck me as the kind of player that does absolutely hee haw for 4 or 5 games before popping up with a moment of magic that has the brain donors on Sportscene saying how good a player he is, then going on to do nothing again for the next 4 or 5 games. 

Electric when he first joined, then his knee imploded (for the second time in a few years) and he never really recovered to that level. He was alright really, a squad player.

Slower than Michael O'Halloran and far less likely to win you a game, but also more disciplined and consistent. A 4/5/6 out of 10 every week. I can't remember him ever winning us a match with a moment of magic.

Might not be a popular opinion but I would have taken Considine at St Mirren. He’s a solid defender for this level and if he keeps himself fit I think he will do well at St Johnstone. He seems to have a good attitude towards the game and will set an example to younger players with regards to training and professionalism. Seen some St Johnstone fans on Twitter not happy with his signing but I don’t see any reason for that.

Considine is 35, hasn't played 90 minutes since August, ruptured his ACL and broke down on his return. Giving him a 2yr deal is insane and where my issues lie with the deal, I could've understood a 1yr gamble.

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Considine is 35, hasn't played 90 minutes since August, ruptured his ACL and broke down on his return. Giving him a 2yr deal is insane and where my issues lie with the deal, I could've understood a 1yr gamble.

I didn’t realise it was his ACL, that’s not a great injury to try to recover from at that age. Maybe not as good a signing as I thought then, although I do think his professionalism will be good for your squad. 

Just now, IrishBhoy said:

I didn’t realise it was his ACL, that’s not a great injury to try to recover from at that age. Maybe not as good a signing as I thought then, although I do think his professionalism will be good for your squad. 

He's still got the scar on his knee in his reveal photos...

26 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Fair point about the length of contract but I still reckon that's a reasonable signing. A full pre season under his belt and he should be up to speed. He wasn't a million miles away from making the Euros squad only 12 months ago.

We still need a centre half in, possibly even 2.

57 minutes ago, FTOF said:

I like this type of signing.

Goodwin spent months talking about how we were crying out for  pace in the final third. Failed to sign anyone to fit the bill in the summer window then brought in Jones during the winter window. He didn't work out.

Robinson, no messing.... in Ayunga and Olusanya, he signs 2 pacy forwards even before preseason has started. Obviously we'll have to see how they turn out, but hopeful signs I think.

33 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

Fair point about the length of contract but I still reckon that's a reasonable signing. A full pre season under his belt and he should be up to speed. He wasn't a million miles away from making the Euros squad only 12 months ago.

We still need a centre half in, possibly even 2.

Is that the Considine we're getting though?

Every chance a 35yo recovering from an ACL and without a game in 12 months has lost a half yard of pace. I'm not sure he could afford that.

2 hours ago, McG said:

Bit of a coup landing him, a few English clubs were sniffing about him.

He’s absolutely rapid.

You would think he must have something about him for Middlesbrough to have picked him up, but his career before that was seriously underwhelming, dotting about various non league sides and not playing very much. It's a bit of a punt I think but hopefully it works out.

2 hours ago, Stu said:

Kyle McAllister has signed for Forest Green Rovers, who I'm fairly sure are in League One next season. Means he needs to stay off the burgers though.

He's done well getting a club at that level given he couldn't get a game for Partick Thistle last season. Hope he stays fit and does well down there.

1 hour ago, Hendo said:

You would think he must have something about him for Middlesbrough to have picked him up, but his career before that was seriously underwhelming, dotting about various non league sides and not playing very much. It's a bit of a punt I think but hopefully it works out.

I think most of Robinson’s signings at Motherwell were exactly this type of signing, some work some don’t.

I would rather a signing like this than a couple of dumplings like Considine and Drey Wright.

I mean, I appreciate the effort and all but if you intend on spending the next 12 months telling me, repeatedly, that Considine/Wright are shit signings and we're getting relegated because you think it's going to annoy me, then you're massively mistaken. 

We've been on the relegation express since last Summer and those 2 additions are just helping us along.

13 minutes ago, McG said:

I think most of Robinson’s signings at Motherwell were exactly this type of signing, some work some don’t.

I would rather a signing like this than a couple of dumplings like Considine and Drey Wright.

Totally agree. Both these signings would give me the fear. 

Still hope Gogic signs for us