The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

31 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Aye but the new manager mustn't fancy him which is why McGinn has been told he can find a new club.

Hibs triggered the option on the 2nd June, Johnson was appointed well before that. 

regardless, I would take Paul back. 

B93D52D1-F416-48C8-8D51-50DA68876E44.jpeg

33 minutes ago, Stan Bo said:

Hibs triggered the option on the 2nd June, Johnson was appointed well before that. 

regardless, I would take Paul back. 

B93D52D1-F416-48C8-8D51-50DA68876E44.jpeg

Hibs didnt trigger the option, it was Paul McGinns option to trigger. I have no problem with that and will happily keep him.

Hibs announced Lee Johnson's appointment less than two weeks before Paul signed his extension. Not clear if he started on that date but nonetheless Paul's extension was automatically triggered before the new manager had any chance to assess his playing staff.

However Hibs seemed to have fucked up with another contract and have signed Bushiri whom they didn't want but a contract was automatically triggered due to appearances. Think they need a new contracts manager.

2 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

Hibs announced Lee Johnson's appointment less than two weeks before Paul signed his extension. Not clear if he started on that date but nonetheless Paul's extension was automatically triggered before the new manager had any chance to assess his playing staff.

However Hibs seemed to have fucked up with another contract and have signed Bushiri whom they didn't want but a contract was automatically triggered due to appearances. Think they need a new contracts manager.

Paul McGinn signed his extension ages ago, well before LJ was in place.

Another (very good) player has apparently also signed an extension around the same time, and that hasnt been announced yet.

They know last season was a shitshow, so held back the media on these contract extns / triggers until some of the toxic social media shite simmered down.

4 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Then it's a very strange situation.

Can only assume they've got another RB lined up and perhaps McGinn won't be first choice. He's always been the type of player who wants minutes; not happy not playing. Look at when he left us the first time.

I did wonder if Ross might take the United job and bring him there. Though I rate Smith, and so does Ross.

16 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

Can only assume they've got another RB lined up and perhaps McGinn won't be first choice. He's always been the type of player who wants minutes; not happy not playing. Look at when he left us the first time.

I did wonder if Ross might take the United job and bring him there. Though I rate Smith, and so does Ross.

I’d take Paul  McGinn back any day as he is far better player than Marcus Fraser.

Edited by glenburn bud
Spelling

That’s not a slight on Marcus Fraser, it’s more to do with Paul’s ability to get forward and help create things and chip in with the odd goal. 

Marcus is a decent defender but offers little going forward. 

Both players can adapt and fill in various positions when called upon, but Paul is the all round better footballer.

https://www.stmirren.com/fans-news/4456-season-ticket-holders-go-free-to-st-mirren

I think the club should have added a footnote for supporters to this story…

Would all supporters please note that the Hartlepool friendly is against Paul Hartley, while the Crusaders friendly is a testimonial game for Paul Heatley. Any supporters frequenting the Crusaders bar and beer garden, please remember the difference when the songbook is trotted out.. 😜

1 hour ago, pozbaird said:

https://www.stmirren.com/fans-news/4456-season-ticket-holders-go-free-to-st-mirren

I think the club should have added a footnote for supporters to this story…

Would all supporters please note that the Hartlepool friendly is against Paul Hartley, while the Crusaders friendly is a testimonial game for Paul Heatley. Any supporters frequenting the Crusaders bar and beer garden, please remember the difference when the songbook is trotted out.. 😜

Wise words.

Of course, our dislike of Hartley all stems from one incident where Paul McIntyre kicked him, got sent off and we thought Hartley made a meal of it.

One incident. I'm sure he's a decent bloke really.

39 minutes ago, Hendo said:

Wise words.

Of course, our dislike of Hartley all stems from one incident where Paul McIntyre kicked him, got sent off and we thought Hartley made a meal of it.

One incident. I'm sure he's a decent bloke really.

One incident is enough though. Danny McGrain, Ross Tokely.

I think Hartley's goal celebration in that game, where he went out of his way to run the whole length of the Saints support in the Main Stand at Firhill,  arms aloft while staring us down with a weird deadpan facial expression might have been what alerted us to the type of character he was, rather that one incident where he may have dived.

18 hours ago, pozbaird said:

One incident is enough though. Danny McGrain, Ross Tokely.

Tokely was different though as his challenge on Chris Kerr was a disgrace. He went in to do him as Kerr had ripped the pass out him a few times.

Hartley was always more of a pantomime villain. He must've loved it as he always played well against us and scored on a few occasions. I've got a bit of time for players who give a bit back to the fans. If you've been taking pelters for years, then you're quite within your rights to cup your ear to the fans after scoring a late equaliser.