The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

You've missed out Ayunga.
I think some of these players, like McMaster, Offord and Jamieson, possibly Reid as well could be loaned out again.
Probably need 2 defenders, attacking central midfield playmaker, wide midfielder and another striker.

22 players already..... will fall by a few if Offord, etc go out on loan but it looks like the squad will be bigger than last season, perhaps significantly.
Goalkeepers
Carson, Lyness, Urminsky 
Defenders
Shaughnessy, Dunne, Fraser, Tait, Tanser
Midfielders
O'Hara, Erhahon, Flynn, Baccus, Henderson, Kiltie, Reid, McMaster 
Forwards
Brophy, Main, Greive, Ayunga, Jamieson, Offord

For me we need cover at the central defender position. Even more so if Dunne was to go.

If going for this 3412 still we need someone on the right the same as Tanser as Tait is cover at best.

Midfielder I feel if Gogic isn't signing on we need someone as good as him to have the dig in the middle. We also need to have someone potentially to give Kiltie some competition in an attacking midfielder role.

Im not sure with the list above if will get another striker (I do feel we need ones that can score and create more), but I feel we 100% need additional pace anywhere on the park.

9 hours ago, houston_bud said:

Good to see the club are giving the fans what they want, a chance to boo Paul Hartley again.

Given Hartlepool's nickname, we should have Paisley Panda on the pitch pretending to hang a monkey, before moving onto a replica of Hartley. It would be just like the old days.

….and that, in my opinion, is how you do it… if that’s got stripes on the back with red names and numbers, then I might need X Hamst… erm, a wee lie down in a darkened room. Go on St Mirren, go on Joma, do it. Copy it. You know deep down you want to.

6584F67D-0DD7-4083-9882-FF125BC8C83F.jpeg

3 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

….and that, in my opinion, is how you do it… if that’s got stripes on the back with red names and numbers, then I might need X Hamst… erm, a wee lie down in a darkened room. Go on St Mirren, go on Joma, do it. Copy it. You know deep down you want to.

6584F67D-0DD7-4083-9882-FF125BC8C83F.jpeg

Yeah, saw this yesterday and thought the same thing. It's a fantastic shirt.

11 hours ago, houston_bud said:

Good to see the club are giving the fans what they want, a chance to boo Paul Hartley again.

Seem to remember him making an appearance in a rather fun friendly about 20 years ago.

13 hours ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Carson, Lyness, Urminsky 

Shaughnessy, Dunne, Fraser, Tait, Tanser

O'Hara, Erhahon, Flynn, Baccus, Henderson, Kiltie, Reid, McMaster 

Brophy, Main, Greive, Jamieson, Offord

Centre half is probably the biggest "need" going into the season and I don't think we've been linked with one yet.

No news on young Fraser Taylor? He was offered a first team contract according to the squad update back Iin mid-May. Left winger I think, was out on loan at Cumbernauld last season.

You forgot the big lad Ayunga

I remember going to see Patrick Thistle play Hearts at Firhill some years ago. Hartley went over to the Jackie Husband stand to retrieve the ball after it went out of play. The Jags fans were giving him pelters, calling him all sorts. As he climbed back over the advertising boards at the pitch he turned around to look at them. They went into overdrive, probably because Hearts were already two or three up and strolling it. Hartley says to them, “Aye, but you paid to watch this shit, I’m getting paid for it! “

11 minutes ago, Kempes said:

I remember going to see Patrick Thistle play Hearts at Firhill some years ago. Hartley went over to the Jackie Husband stand to retrieve the ball after it went out of play. The Jags fans were giving him pelters, calling him all sorts. As he climbed back over the advertising boards at the pitch he turned around to look at them. They went into overdrive, probably because Hearts were already two or three up and strolling it. Hartley says to them, “Aye, but you paid to watch this shit, I’m getting paid for it! “

As much as Hartley is an arse, I recall having to chuckle at his reaction to an assist against us at Love St.

Hearts were 2-0 down, and he was getting it both barrels from the North Bank. They pulled one back before he delivered a free kick that was converted for their equaliser.

He cupped his ear, ran the entire length of the North Bank, and was greeted with outrage and indignation from our support, many of whom remonstrated with the referee and even stewards as regards his audacity and offensive behaviour.

It was very amusing, tbh. 

22 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

IIRC the Millwall friendly was cancelled. I think he's referring to the "friendly" v the saintees in July 2001.

That's the one - a tremendously entertaining afternoon.

5 minutes ago, Drooper said:

As much as Hartley is an arse, I recall having to chuckle at his reaction to an assist against us at Love St.

Hearts were 2-0 down, and he was getting it both barrels from the North Bank. They pulled one back before he delivered a free kick that was converted for their equaliser.

He cupped his ear, ran the entire length of the North Bank, and was greeted with outrage and indignation from our support, many of whom remonstrated with the referee and even stewards as regards his audacity and offensive behaviour.

It was very amusing, tbh. 

If I remember rightly he ended up getting sent off that day - one of his bookings was for his celebration. Both his antics and the eventual red card were highly amusing

1 hour ago, Stu said:

That's the one - a tremendously entertaining afternoon.

If I remember rightly he ended up getting sent off that day - one of his bookings was for his celebration. Both his antics and the eventual red card were highly amusing

My next door neighbour happens to be Kevin Kyle, who is a decent big fella’ to talk to - when he moved in, aside from apologising for scoring the first ever goal at our place, he told me about the grief he was getting from our new ‘North Bank’ for putting himself, and his elbows about. He fully admitted to the charge by the way. He was getting the full ‘Kyle, Kyle, get tae’ fcuk’ treatment. Anyway, he said there was a high ball where himself and another Killie player jump for it with a Saints player, with the Saints player getting an accidental head knock from the other Killie player. As our guy lies on the turf, both Kevin Kyle and John Potter stand over him as the trainer sprints on. The West Bank give it the ‘Kyle Kyle get tae’ fcuk’ song... Kevin tells me he turned to John Potter and said ‘What the fcuk are they shouting at me for, I never even touched him’. Potter replied ‘Don’t worry about it big man, they give me pelters every week and I’m their fcuking captain’.

😜

I see now that Hibs have signed an Aussie right back, so probably true that PMcG will be ‘available for transfer’ as they say. Stephen has joined Falkirk, so here’s hoping John is not left out of the McGinn moves.

Edited by Kempes

Would certainly be trying to get Paul McGinn back for a third time. He's versatile and at only 31 still got a few years left in him, he was playing for Scotland just nine months ago.