The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Six figures would be good business for Dunne, let alone £350k. Someone at the club seeing if Goodwin has as big an obsession for signing players from us as Jack Ross did.

I like big Dunne. One of the fastest centre halves I've seen at St Mirren. I thought he had a decent season last year, if a bit stop start. 

That said if we can get anything like £350k I'd move him on. Although, I don't believe that figure is anywhere close to being realistic. 

If Goodwin is looking to spend 6 figures on someone like Dunne, then I don't think he'll last long at Aberdeen. Dunne, on a free transfer, would probably be a reasonable addition to the Aberdeen squad. But he's not someone you could rely on to play 30+ games a season, let alone guarantee you push on a level. 

I like Dunne and I think Robinson does too.

If this is true then effectively we've said we don't want to sell him unless someone is ready to pay a pretty crazy fee of £350k. Fair enough. 🤷‍♂️

Has the club officially stated the 350k price tag or are we all getting excited by The Sun picking a random 6 digit number?

I reckon this is simply the media trying to continue the Dunne transfer mill and nothing more.

I absolutely don't think this means the club is stopping selling folk for peanuts either.

15 minutes ago, Buddiesaint said:

Has the club officially stated the 350k price tag or are we all getting excited by The Sun picking a random 6 digit number?

I reckon this is simply the media trying to continue the Dunne transfer mill and nothing more.

I absolutely don't think this means the club is stopping selling folk for peanuts either.

No.

The "journalist" probably got the figure from Transfermarkt website.

Although he's got a value of £315K on there. Maybe he misheard someone reading it out to him.

41 minutes ago, Buddiesaint said:

Nom this will be The Sun making it up as usual.

However the club will have a figure in mind, probably somewhere between £150k-£200k.

I recall when Dunne first agreed to sign for us there were murmurings We were lucky to have him , as when he was playing injury free he’d be an asset to the club in terms of showing enough quality to get a decent sell on fee. 

If we get 100 to 150K then we’ve done well out of it.

I’d be running Goodwin out of town for even thinking of signing Dunne.

To additionally pay ANY transfer fee for him, let alone this, frankly, laughable figure of £350k, should have the assist of a pitch fork up his arse.

1 hour ago, Afc69 said:

I’d be running Goodwin out of town for even thinking of signing Dunne.

To additionally pay ANY transfer fee for him, let alone this, frankly, laughable figure of £350k, should have the assist of a pitch fork up his arse.

To be fair he is better than Bates

8 minutes ago, Spam_Valley said:

Based on what ?

I've seen him a few times and he's had good reports playing for Queens Park.

He broke into Bolton side in championship at just 18 and it was seen as a massive coup for Celtic to get him for only £400k. They decided for whatever reason not to play him but from what I've seen he's got a lot of upside.

Edited by djchapsticks

Connell looks worthy of at least a Championship side next season, so any top flight side would probably be smart to offer him 2/3 years and then loan him back to Queens Park next season.

Seems more attack minded though, fairly average defensively for Queens Park and that'll likely scale down as he steps up levels.

He broke into Bolton side in championship at just 18 and it was seen as a massive coup for Celtic to get him for only £400k. They decided for whatever reason not to play him but from what I've seen he's got a lot of upside.
Out of curiosity where does it say he is being released by them?

4 minutes ago, Mainstand Sweary Mob said:
58 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Out of curiosity where does it say he is being released by 

https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/20186352.celtic-release-luca-connell-following-queens-park-loan/

58 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Massive difference from looking decent for Queens Park and stepping up to Premiership level, though. If he had any sort of the potential that was rumoured at Bolton at least one of his Celtic managers would’ve played him. He’ll be contending with a number of players already in our squad in his role and unlikely to be a regular starter. We’ve got squad fillers in Erhahon and Reid, I’d rather we didn’t sign another and instead look for ready made first XI players. Each to their own though of course.

Just now, Spam_Valley said:

Massive difference from looking decent for Queens Park and stepping up to Premiership level, though. If he had any sort of the potential that was rumoured at Bolton at least one of his Celtic managers would’ve played him. He’ll be contending with a number of players already in our squad in his role and unlikely to be a regular starter. We’ve got squad fillers in Erhahon and Reid, I’d rather we didn’t sign another and instead look for ready made first XI players. Each to their own though of course.

Think he's a different player to either of those. He plays further up the park than both or can also play on the left.

We definitely need to be building a squad. If someone like Mallan or Carey were out of the equation in terms of finances, Connell as backup for Kiltie wouldn't be a bad option even if not quite for this season.