The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

Just had this pop up on Facebook memories. Already four years since this summer of absolute insanity. And there was worse to come.

FB_IMG_1654173693756.jpg

I remember being in the Florida Keys at the time and wondering if somehow I'd slipped into an alternative dimension. :lol: 

Was Patrick Kluivert not being rumoured at one point as well?!

This article says Goodwin/Aberdeen are close to signing a left-sided centre half. I don't recommend clicking the link - the adverts and obtrusive pop-ups make it barely legible - I'm just including it as a source.

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/aberdeen-very-close-to-defender-signing-as-pre-season-plans-announced-3716880

However, I wondered if anyone knew if they're still after Dunne? If there's a fee involved I certainly wouldn't be too bothered.

Banging on about having a left-footer at the back was one of Goodwin's things. Weirdly, another of his things was playing literally everyone across the back away from their natural positions, completely destroying any 'balance' he had sought in the first place. That was some laugh 😐

Edited by Coventry Saint

From The Sun -

EXCLUSIVE by Derek McGregor

St Mirren have slapped a £350,000 price tag on Charles Dunne amid continuing Aberdeen interest.

Dons boss Jim Goodwin signed the defender, 29, for Saints a year ago on a free from Motherwell.

Goodwin’s about to sign another left-sided stopper, but wants more depth in key areas like the heart of the defence.

However, Saints are in no mood to do their former boss any favours, four months after he swapped Paisley for Aberdeen.

Dunne’s in the final year of his contract and is currently in rehab from a foot fracture suffered in the April home defeat to Rangers.

The ex-Republic of Ireland Under-21 cap spent four years at Motherwell and played for Oldham, Crawley, Wycombe and Blackpool.

He played 28 games for Saints last season, helping them to ten clean sheets

In a world of ridiculous transfer fees, £350k for Charles Dunne is by far the most outrageous. I’m all for ripping off Goodwin but at least make it realistic. Hopefully Dunne kicks up a stink about being held back or priced out of a move and player power pulls trump.  

If there's an ounce of truth in this article (IF), I'd be pretty content that we're not letting contracted players leave on the cheap.

This has been happening for years and its about time that we start holding out for more cash.

Edited by Munoz

Everyone on here and Twitter needs to shut up. Of course £350k is a great price for such an excellent player. Would he a travesty to let him go for a figure so low, but we shouldn't be standing in the way of such a good move.

34 minutes ago, GAD said:

Everyone on here and Twitter needs to shut up. Of course £350k is a great price for such an excellent player. Would he a travesty to let him go for a figure so low, but we shouldn't be standing in the way of such a good move.

Absolutely, it is a step up for him to move from our modest facilities to the more advanced rehab facilities Aberdeen have.

1 hour ago, Arch Stanton said:

£350k

Cracking Up Lol GIF by HULU

I don’t know what’s so funny tbh, if someone if daft enough to pay £50k for Cammy McPherson when he was available for free, then 350k for Dunne, when he’s got a year left seems ok.

🤭