The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

7 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

Isma Goncalves has signed a 2 year deal at Livi. I'd definitely have taken him back. Great signing for Livi.

How many kids does he have down Paisley way, born circa Dec 13/Jan14?

When I saw earlier that Isma was going to Livi I was disappointed we weren't in for him, however having seen his career since then it's probably for the best he isn't back and tainting the memories we have of him. Livi's two year deal seems optimistic, let alone the option for a third.

Mallan would be an interesting one - would replace Ronan's ability to ping them in from range of nothing else.

1 hour ago, Stu said:

When I saw earlier that Isma was going to Livi I was disappointed we weren't in for him, however having seen his career since then it's probably for the best he isn't back and tainting the memories we have of him. Livi's two year deal seems optimistic, let alone the option for a third.

Mallan would be an interesting one - would replace Ronan's ability to ping them in from range of nothing else.

I agree. I always wanted to see him come back to St Mirren, I always felt there was a bit of unfinished business and being such a cult hero it would've been great to see him run out in the stripes again.

Taking any emotion out of it, based on the past few years he would definitely have been a punt.

Alex Gogic would be a brilliant signing if we can somehow convince him to stay. Not very likely given our budget but you never know he seemed to recapture his appetite for the game when on loan for the second half of the season.

Alex Gogic would be a brilliant signing if we can somehow convince him to stay. Not very likely given our budget but you never know he seemed to recapture his appetite for the game when on loan for the second half of the season.
This should be a selling point to him. At a time we wanted him as well, he picked Hibs and seemed to fall out of favour there and lost his love of football. He regained it with us. If we can pull this off, it will be a great bit of work. Great at doing the wee things in games that are underappreciated in the game of football. He did great in place of big Joe last game of the season too.

3 minutes ago, AW saint said:

I think we are waiting on the English market opening. Think we may see some unknown players rock up at St Mirren park

With Stephen Robinson as your manager I can pretty much guarantee it.

22 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

Love the idea of the bigotry tax. Tell the spfl for every bigoted song, we're adding a quid to the price of away tickets for the next game. Camera/mic on the away end for proof. 

Imagine the raging reactions. We'd be fucking pioneers.

Easy wonga

this-time-next-year-rodney-well-be-millionaires.jpg

1 hour ago, glenburn bud said:

It’s unlikely we would get Connor so of all the loanees we had last season Gogic would be the most wanted for me. 

1 minute ago, Mainstand Sweary Mob said:

Indeed Now will they pay off? Have any of his previous unknowns worked out in his time at Motherwell?

Several have turned out pretty well.

Mugabi, Donnelly, Kipre, Grimshaw, Carson.

Wouldn't be St Mirren if we didn't sign some unknown players in the summer window. Who'd heard of Conor Ronan this time last year? Hopefully another signing of his ilk is in the works, who is also going to clean up at our player of the year awards in 12 months time. 

16 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Mugabi is a player I would take any time. If we can identify players of that calibre then all the better. 

14 minutes ago, Lex said:

Wouldn't be St Mirren if we didn't sign some unknown players in the summer window. Who'd heard of Conor Ronan this time last year? 

Conor Ronan who had 40+ appearances in the EFL, including games for Wolves, who'd played in the Slovakian top flight and was part of an Irish side who got huge interest because they finished 4th at the Toulon Tournament?

That "unknown" Conor Ronan?

This is like when you claimed St Mirren had made signing players from Ireland popular, despite half the clubs in the country doing it for years before you even hired Goodwin.

Do we see the likes of Donnelly and Grimshaw showing up at the saints for the fact they worked with him before and for their versatility?
Mugabi is a player I would take any time. If we can identify players of that calibre then all the better. 
I would love players like Mugabi and Kipre. Both solid, big guys.

25 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Conor Ronan who had 40+ appearances in the EFL, including games for Wolves, who'd played in the Slovakian top flight and was part of an Irish side who got huge interest because they finished 4th at the Toulon Tournament?

This is like when you claimed St Mirren had made signing players from Ireland popular, despite half the clubs in the country doing it for years before you even hired Goodwin.

Did Jake Doyle Hayes ever write back to you?

16 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Did Jake Doyle Hayes ever write back to you?

I ended up with a job scouting for Saints, so the email worked out well, yes.

Making appearances in the EFL, a youth tournament and the Slovakian top flight hardly makes you a household name among St Mirren fans, does it?
I also certainly never claimed St Mirren made signings from Ireland popular, no idea where you’ve got that from.