The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

4 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Jings, I remember being at that pre-season "friendly". Totally unprovoked, Aspinall stuck the studs into one of our players  (can't remember who).

Off topic, I seem to remember another pre-season fixture (similar era) against Oxford United where their thuggery was breathtaking. Does anyone else remember this game or has my dementia revisited me ?

We lost 1-0. Oxford's manager was a thug called Malky Shotton who had clearly fashioned his team in his own image.

It was the only pre-season game we lost at the start of the Tom Hendrie league canter season.

7 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

It was meant to be Alan McInally we were getting. The story went that Villa had agreed a deal in principle with us and played us in a pre-season game that got pretty meaty. Warren Aspinall who played in that game for Villa (and was a horrible dirty b*****d) ended up doing one of our players by stamping on his foot or shin and Graham Taylor, who had already put him on his last warning with regards to discipline, was so angry with him he sold him and McInally started playing more games. So yeah, us arranging a friendly with a team we were meant to be getting player from, led to us not getting the player due to his team-mate's arseholery.

We've had a few to be fair. 

Ian Harte turning back at Gretna services.
Knocking back a young David Platt and Ally McCoist.
Roy Dayan coming over for a trial, looking pretty tasty and then his club only then telling us they wanted £500k for him.
Oleg Blokhin and Ozzie Ardiles
Keith Wright and Tommy Coyne were both agreed in a double deal from Dundee in late 80s and they bagged their manager and put the blocks on it.

A few from the 00/01 season

Omer Riza - Was rumoured to be signing for us during 00/01 season. Young prospect from West Ham. Ended up with Stephen McPhee from Coventry

Daniel Amokachi - High calibre player in his day wiith Everton. Was a free agent at the time

Marco Negri - Former Rangers goal machine was rumoured to have been a loan target from whatever Italian side he was playing with at the time

Ronaldinho - We all know this one. I actually spoke to Tom hendrie about this and it was very close. 

Bebeto - He was offered to us by his agent. I think he must have been 36/37 or so at the time. Hendrie dismissed it as he didnt think he would be much of a player at that time if he was being. offered to us lol.

11 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Jings, I remember being at that pre-season "friendly". Totally unprovoked, Aspinall stuck the studs into one of our players  (can't remember who).

Off topic, I seem to remember another pre-season fixture (similar era) against Oxford United where their thuggery was breathtaking. Does anyone else remember this game or has my dementia revisited me ?

It was about 10 years later after we won the league in 2000. They were the dirtiest c***s I've ever seen us play against. It was Peter Fear who was the worst offender and got sent off for them that day.

5 minutes ago, smellthepaw said:

Omer Riza - Was rumoured to be signing for us during 00/01 season. Young prospect from West Ham. Ended up with Stephen McPhee from Coventry

Daniel Amokachi - High calibre player in his day wiith Everton. Was a free agent at the time

Marco Negri - Former Rangers goal machine was rumoured to have been a loan target from whatever Italian side he was playing with at the time

Ronaldinho - We all know this one. I actually spoke to Tom hendrie about this and it was very close. 

Bebeto - He was offered to us by his agent. I think he must have been 36/37 or so at the time. Hendrie dismissed it as he didnt think he would be much of a player at that time if he was being. offered to us lol.

Jorge Cadete and Benito Carbone as well.

We were literally linked with just about every out of favour striker in Europe and beyond.

The Ronaldinho one goes down a wee bit in Scottish football folklore these days but it was definitely on the cards and we missed out by literally a matter of hours. It was a registration issue with the Brazilian football federation that stopped it. Not everything played out in the media back then and his agent wanted him to move from Gremio on loan to get some game time in Europe in preparation for his move to Paris. I believe someone at the club had a connection out in Brazil who gave us the heads up and it was certainly a goer for a while. A real shame it didn't come to pass.

It was very close to the end of our season as transfer windows stayed opened and only closed in March, so he'd have turned out in probably 8-10 games at most but what a story it would have made.

Edited by djchapsticks

13 hours ago, smellthepaw said:

Omer Riza played for us in a pre-season game at Grimsby in 2001.  Cracking weekend🍺

13 hours ago, smellthepaw said:

McPhee signed before Riza. Pretty sure McPhee was who we ended up with after the Kitson/Ronaldinho chase.

38 minutes ago, jm1 said:

Decent League Cup draw. Hopefully get Arbroath or Cowdenbeath away

St Mirren 

Arbroath

Airdrie

Edinburgh City

Cowdenbeath

In each of the previous seasons since the groups returned, the Premiership side has been at home to the championship side.

15 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Another of our signing confirmations coming by end of the week - possibly even tomorrow as the scarf picture was apparently taken today.

Assume it’s one of the names that’s been widely reported? 

1 hour ago, jm1 said:

Decent League Cup draw. Hopefully get Arbroath or Cowdenbeath away. 

St Mirren 

Arbroath

Airdrie

Edinburgh City

Cowdenbeath

If it goes by previous we will be home to 2nd and 4th seeds, so we should be away to Cowden and Airdrie. Been a while since we played at the Excelscior, some good Saints memories there. 

image.png.fc49732703e25be05a1c9444545f8e66.png

2 minutes ago, Lex said:

If it goes by previous we will be home to 2nd and 4th seeds, so we should be away to Cowden and Airdrie. Been a while since we played at the Excelscior, some good Saints memories there. 

image.png.fc49732703e25be05a1c9444545f8e66.png

Still the record attendance at that stadium.