The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

15 minutes ago, Buddiesaint said:

He played in both the europa league and Scottish Cup finals this season. Surely he can do better than us even at his age?

Gotta be on a decent salary at Rangers too.

Would be a massive signing if true.

McAllister the footballer Morton, Dundee,  Blackpool is now the kit man at ibrox from  Isle Of Bute where I stay. McAllister is a sound guy I believe him. 

10 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

McAllister the footballer Morton, Dundee,  Blackpool is now the kit man at ibrox from  Isle Of Bute where I stay. McAllister is a sound guy I believe him. 

I’d be a bit sceptical of how we could afford his wages tbh. 

35 minutes ago, AW saint said:

That's the point where I don't see this happening

He’s probably made the majority of his money while playing in the EPL, so wages might not be that much of an issue if this is his first venture into coaching. 

2 hours ago, glenburn bud said:

I’d be a bit sceptical of how we could afford his wages tbh. 

I thought of that also Vince however the guy is in the later years of his career  37 years old   but obviously has still got talent so can see truth in it .  McAllister would not Bull shit me so this will happen guys. 

The Davis rumour has been floating around for a few weeks, and I wonder with Robinson and Davis being fellow countrymen that there could possibly be a historical link between them. Does anyone know if they have ever worked together? 

My Rangers supporting friend says he is still absolutely top quality, and if it wasn’t for Lundstrams recent spike in performances he would have been featuring much more. A midfield pairing of Davis and Gogic would be up there with the highest quality of players I’ve seen since I’ve started watching St. Mirren, I think they would compliment each other excellently.

I must admit that it’s a signing that would get me very excited if we pull it off. I remember the summer when we signed Teale, Hasselbaink and Thompson, and I got very excited for that upcoming season. This would be comparable to that. 

I don't think money would be the issue. Davis has clearly made a very lucrative living off the game and I'm guessing he wants to take the tentative steps into being a coach whilst believing he still has something to offer on the playing side.

That being said, he is still definitely good enough for Rangers given he's played in around 50% of their games this season at 36/37 so it stands to reason that he still has something to offer them. I think there are clubs in Scotland and even in the English Championship and upper reaches of League 1 where he'd still be an asset, so it would be a case of asking what we in particular would be offering that several other clubs no doubt could blow us out the water with.

The only obvious ones are working under Robinson who he is apparently on very good terms with and staying in the area if his family are settled. 

37 or not, the possibility of getting a guy who has played at the top level his entire career, is to all intents and purposes still looking like a very good player to the point that many Rangers fans would be happy for him to hang about for another season and has something mad like 120 or so caps for his country would be mental to pass on and a coup for us without a shadow of a doubt.

5 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

The Davis rumour has been floating around for a few weeks, and I wonder with Robinson and Davis being fellow countrymen that there could possibly be a historical link between them. Does anyone know if they have ever worked together? 

My Rangers supporting friend says he is still absolutely top quality, and if it wasn’t for Lundstrams recent spike in performances he would have been featuring much more. A midfield pairing of Davis and Gogic would be up there with the highest quality of players I’ve seen since I’ve started watching St. Mirren, I think they would compliment each other excellently.

I must admit that it’s a signing that would get me very excited if we pull it off. I remember the summer when we signed Teale, Hasselbaink and Thompson, and I got very excited for that upcoming season. This would be comparable to that. 

Robinson worked with Davis for a few years when he was Northern Ireland assistant manager.

9 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Robinson worked with Davis for a few years when he was Northern Ireland assistant manager.

I was thinking that there may have been a link there with the national team but wasn’t aware Robinson had ever been assistant manager of the first team. That’s another thing that goes in our favour then, and would be the highest profile player to sign for us for quite some time. 

Steven Thompson had played EPL and UCL football in his career before he signed for us, but I think Davis had a better, and longer, time at that English Prem level and is undoubtedly a more well known name in UK terms. You would struggle to find a Rangers, N. Ireland or Southampton fan who has a bad word to say about him, and I would be very pleased if St Mirren were able to sign him up even for a season. 

1 minute ago, IrishBhoy said:

I was thinking that there may have been a link there with the national team but wasn’t aware Robinson had ever been assistant manager of the first team. That’s another thing that goes in our favour then, and would be the highest profile player to sign for us for quite some time. 

Steven Thompson had played EPL and UCL football in his career before he signed for us, but I think Davis had a better, and longer, time at that English Prem level and is undoubtedly a more well known name in UK terms. You would struggle to find a Rangers, N. Ireland or Southampton fan who has a bad word to say about him, and I would be very pleased if St Mirren were able to sign him up even for a season. 

He was Michael O'Neill's main national team coach from 2014-2016 for Northern Ireland and his assistant for Euro 2016 I believe.

8 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

I don't think money would be the issue. Davis has clearly made a very lucrative living off the game and I'm guessing he wants to take the tentative steps into being a coach whilst believing he still has something to offer on the playing side.

That being said, he is still definitely good enough for Rangers given he's played in around 50% of their games this season at 36/37 so it stands to reason that he still has something to offer them. I think there are clubs in Scotland and even in the English Championship and upper reaches of League 1 where he'd still be an asset, so it would be a case of asking what we in particular would be offering that several other clubs no doubt could blow us out the water with.

The only obvious ones are working under Robinson who he is apparently on very good terms with and staying in the area if his family are settled. 

37 or not, the possibility of getting a guy who has played at the top level his entire career, is to all intents and purposes still looking like a very good player to the point that many Rangers fans would be happy for him to hang about for another season and has something mad like 120 or so caps for his country would be mental to pass on and a coup for us without a shadow of a doubt.

There’s a few on bawarmy that say he’s past it 😂

Guy just strolled a Scottish Cup final and played in a Europa League final in the space of a week - it would be a brilliant signing.

8 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

He was Michael O'Neill's main national team coach from 2014-2016 for Northern Ireland and his assistant for Euro 2016 I believe.

Aye. That's right.

He jacked in the international stuff when he took the Oldham job: https://www.irishfa.com/news/2016/july/michael-oneill-says-robbo-will-be-great-asset-to-oldham

Fwiw, Robinson's view is that Davis is the best midfielder he's worked with: https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/stephen-robinson-hails-david-turnbull-14247454

Edited by capt_oats

27 minutes ago, SS77 said:

There’s a few on bawarmy that say he’s past it 😂

Guy just strolled a Scottish Cup final and played in a Europa League final in the space of a week - it would be a brilliant signing.

That was me who said I thought he was done but I take it back you don't play that many games for one of the best teams in the country if your done .

28 minutes ago, FTOF said:

I predict that he'll "come close" to joining us, but ultimately won't end up signing for us.:rolleyes:

Steven Davis to discuss Rangers future ‘next week’ after emotional cup victory - The Sunday Post

My thoughts too. I’d be shocked if it happened.

Appreciate IoBS has a source, but Davie interview doesn’t tally with that.

6 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Davis allegedly fell out with GVB during the season so may not extend his stay. I still think he will end up at a bigger club but you never know

To be honest it looks like we are in as good a position as anyone to sign him, if he is indeed leaving Rangers. There is many factors that may play a part in where he goes, and if he’s settled in the Glasgow area possibly having children at school, and apparently has a previous relationship working with Robinson, then I would say we would be as good an option as any. He’s 37 years old and will have made himself upwards of 7 figures during his career, I can’t see him being the sort of character that would feel the need to eek out a few extra hundred pounds in wages from the level of clubs that would be looking to sign him. 

38 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

To be honest it looks like we are in as good a position as anyone to sign him, if he is indeed leaving Rangers. There is many factors that may play a part in where he goes, and if he’s settled in the Glasgow area possibly having children at school, and apparently has a previous relationship working with Robinson, then I would say we would be as good an option as any. He’s 37 years old and will have made himself upwards of 7 figures during his career, I can’t see him being the sort of character that would feel the need to eek out a few extra hundred pounds in wages from the level of clubs that would be looking to sign him. 

Only time will tell I suppose. But i do hope we get him. Class player

14 hours ago, AW saint said:

If we get Davis it will be a masterstoke by Robinson. He may be 37 or whatever but he showed again today that he still is a quality player. He has not lost anything in the tank and is very mobile. Fingers crossed this is true

That's what Aberdeen fans said about Scott Brown.

29 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

That's what Aberdeen fans said about Scott Brown.

Difference is, Davis' game isn't entirely dependent on being able to do whatever he wants on a football pitch with complete impunity. Brown was exposed when he suddenly wasn't allowed to referee games any more.

That said, you have a point in some respects: it's easier for an older player to stroll games/look good when you've got the likes of Aribo/Kent playing around/in front of you.

Ross Wallace joined us when he was ~35 and it wasn't an automatic starter in a poor side. But his class was still evident and he made a huge contribution - the assist for Obika's goal Vs Hearts. Davis has been playing regularly at a high level and he could absolutely do a job for us.

Whether he will want to, or will take the huge wage cut, remains to be seen.