The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

41 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Fair to say then that Robinson's "heads turned", "pathetic defending" rant after 2-4 Motherwell was likely aimed at McCarthy? I reckon he'll be unveiled at Pittodrie pretty soon. 

Power also started that game so he could have been referring to him too. Alnwick was suspended.

I don’t think you can pinpoint that on McCarthy, that was the week Dunne was dropped and he was linked with Aberdeen. It could’ve been any one of them. It was a daft comment regardless. McCarthy was linked with teams at the start of the season and got dropped by Goodwin. Probably overshadowed at the time by all the nonsense about McGrath. Alnwick and McCarthy both moving on through their choice doesn’t suggest Robinson had an issue with either of them. 1 or 2 centre backs required as replacements especially if Robinson is to maintain 3 at the back as Dunne can not be relied on. 

2 hours ago, Mainstand Sweary Mob said:

From the post on social media, this is how I see the squad currently then, so thought I would post as might be totally wrong.

GKs
D. Lyness - GK - 2023
P. Urminský - GK - 2023

RWBs
R. Tait - RWB/LWB - 2023
J. Henderson - RWB/RW - 2023

CBs
M. Fraser - CB/RB - 2023
J. Shaughnessy - CB - 2023
C. Dunne - CB - 2023
D. Finlayson - CB/RB - 2023

LWBs
S. Tanser - LWB - 2024

CDMs
D. Reid - CDM/CM - 2023

CMs
E. Erhahon - CM - 2023

CAMs
G. Kiltie - CAM - 2023

ST
C. Main - ST - 2023
E. Brophy - ST - 2024
A. Greive - ST - 2023
L. Jamieson - ST - 2023

Youth Academy to 1st team
K. Offord
D. McMaster
F. Taylor

Extension signed
R. Flynn - Utility - 2023

Contract ending
1. J. Alnwick - GK
2. C. McCarthy - CB
3. A. Power - CDM
5. M. Millar - RWB

Loan ends
6. C. Ronan - CM
7. J. Jones - LW
8. A. Gogić - CDM

PCAs
1. T. Carson - GK - PCA
2. K. Baccus - CM/CDM - PCA
3. M. O'Hara - CDM/CM/CB - PCA
4. J. Ayunga - 24yo - RW/ST - PCA

Contract offered
A. Gogić - CDM

Hopefully on top of players coming in, we are in the position to offer a few of the 2023 players an extension.

Henderson, Shaughnessy, Reid, Kiltie and Greive should be priorities.

4 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Hopefully on top of players coming in, we are in the position to offer a few of the 2023 players an extension.

Agree with all those, but Greive would be top of the list. He's basically here on work experience and is almost certainly on absolute buttons. He could be going to the World Cup. Got to get him on a better deal asap.

13 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

We absolutely need to get Kiltie on a new deal, brilliant with the ball at his fit and is always looking to get on the front foot and drive, brilliant player.

So who have we seen and/or heard linked?

So far:

In

Tyler Magloire (Blackburn) - CB

Reece McAleer (Norwich- currently on loan with Caley Thistle) - CM

Alex Gogic (Hibs) - CM

Regan Tumilty (Raith) - RB

Steven Davis (Rangers) - CM

Cameron Norman (Newport) - RB

Out

Ethan Erhahon - CM (QPR, Portsmouth, MK Dons, Oxford, Sassulo)

Dylan Reid - CM (Benfica)

Charles Dunne - CB (Aberdeen)

So far:
In
Alex Gogic (Hibs) - CM
Out

Looking at those PCAs + potential INs and with who's going/gone

GK - Alnwick = Carson
CB - McCarthy = Magloire
RWB - Millar = Norman
CDM - Power = Baccus
CDM - Gogić = Gogić
CM - Ronan = O'Hara
RW - McAllister = Ayunga
LW - Jones =
ST - Jack =

8 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

So far:

In

Alex Gogic (Hibs) - CM

Out

Reece McAleer looked poor against Arbroath and not sure about Tumilty. We had our bid knocked back for Cameron Norman. 

Gogic would be great to have back the rest not so sure. 

I would also happily accept decent bids for Ethan and Dunne. 

1 hour ago, AW saint said:

Reece McAleer looked poor against Arbroath and not sure about Tumilty. We had our bid knocked back for Cameron Norman. 

Gogic would be great to have back the rest not so sure. 

I would also happily accept decent bids for Ethan and Dunne. 

Not offering up any opinions or anything. That's just who I've seen us linked with in last several weeks.

No real surprises in the squad announcement yesterday. McCarthy obviously thinks he can get more money elsewhere, fair play glad that’s been sorted out early and I’m not bothered he’s leaving.
Happy that Jak’s got his big deal down south, that kind of thing should help attract other players to the club. Signs a two year deal with us on a free transfer, honours the deal then moves to the English Championship for (apparently) five figures a week. Well deserved too.
I’d have probably released Flynn but if he’s happy to be back up and is a positive influence around the dressing room no harm to keep him for another year. Power, Millar and McAllister all correctly released, interested to see where the end up. Can see Kyle doing well with a championship club if he can get himself fit.
Happy we have offered a deal to Gogic and would be pleasantly surprised if he signs. No doubt he will get offers from here, down south and abroad, for more money than we are offering. He will rightly pick what is best for him.
The squad’s in decent shape already, and it’s only May.
Carson
Fraser-Shaughnessy-Dunne—Tanser
Ayunga-Baccus-O’Hara-Erhahon-Kiltie
Brophy
SUBS
Greive
Main
Flynn
Tait
Reid
Lyness
Offord
Obviously needs some padding, particularly in defence, but that squad should stay up as is in my opinion. More quality additions in the right areas should get us away from the dogfight and up the table.

56 minutes ago, Stu said:

Appreciate he has just been released by a club that finished below us in the league but is Dylan McGeouch worth a punt?

Would absolutely take him if fit, really good football player.

54 minutes ago, Lex said:

No real surprises in the squad announcement yesterday. McCarthy obviously thinks he can get more money elsewhere, fair play glad that’s been sorted out early and I’m not bothered he’s leaving.
Happy that Jak’s got his big deal down south, that kind of thing should help attract other players to the club. Signs a two year deal with us on a free transfer, honours the deal then moves to the English Championship for (apparently) five figures a week. Well deserved too.
I’d have probably released Flynn but if he’s happy to be back up and is a positive influence around the dressing room no harm to keep him for another year. Power, Millar and McAllister all correctly released, interested to see where the end up. Can see Kyle doing well with a championship club if he can get himself fit.
Happy we have offered a deal to Gogic and would be pleasantly surprised if he signs. No doubt he will get offers from here, down south and abroad, for more money than we are offering. He will rightly pick what is best for him.
The squad’s in decent shape already, and it’s only May.
Carson
Fraser-Shaughnessy-Dunne—Tanser
Ayunga-Baccus-O’Hara-Erhahon-Kiltie
Brophy
SUBS
Greive
Main
Flynn
Tait
Reid
Lyness
Offord
Obviously needs some padding, particularly in defence, but that squad should stay up as is in my opinion. More quality additions in the right areas should get us away from the dogfight and up the table.

I still wouldn't be surprised to see Dunne leave and if Erhahon shows the right attitude pre-season and wants to be here, he may see out his final year of contract.

15 hours ago, Mainstand Sweary Mob said:

From the post on social media, this is how I see the squad currently then, so thought I would post as might be totally wrong.

GKs
D. Lyness - GK - 2023
P. Urminský - GK - 2023

RWBs
R. Tait - RWB/LWB - 2023
J. Henderson - RWB/RW - 2023

CBs
M. Fraser - CB/RB - 2023
J. Shaughnessy - CB - 2023
C. Dunne - CB - 2023
D. Finlayson - CB/RB - 2023

LWBs
S. Tanser - LWB - 2024

CDMs
D. Reid - CDM/CM - 2023

CMs
E. Erhahon - CM - 2023

CAMs
G. Kiltie - CAM - 2023

ST
C. Main - ST - 2023
E. Brophy - ST - 2024
A. Greive - ST - 2023
L. Jamieson - ST - 2023

Youth Academy to 1st team
K. Offord
D. McMaster
F. Taylor

Extension signed
R. Flynn - Utility - 2023

Contract ending
1. J. Alnwick - GK
2. C. McCarthy - CB
3. A. Power - CDM
5. M. Millar - RWB

Loan ends
6. C. Ronan - CM
7. J. Jones - LW
8. A. Gogić - CDM

PCAs
1. T. Carson - GK - PCA
2. K. Baccus - CM/CDM - PCA
3. M. O'Hara - CDM/CM/CB - PCA
4. J. Ayunga - 24yo - RW/ST - PCA

Contract offered
A. Gogić - CDM

Of that list I'd be looking at us trying to tie some players down on extensions instead of looking at a complete rebuild next summer.

For me, Henderson and Grieve should be priorities for long term extensions.

RWBs
R. Tait - RWB/LWB - 2023 May be entering the tail end of his time with us with age on his side, unless he is happy to just be a squad player
J. Henderson - RWB/RW - 2023 Offer long term extension. See him as one of our biggest assets

CBs
M. Fraser - CB/RB - 2023 See how this season goes
J. Shaughnessy - CB - 2023 Offer 2 yr extension
C. Dunne - CB - 2023 Not bothered, though already rumoured with potential move to dons
D. Finlayson - CB/RB - 2023 Not sure if he has what it takes to cut it yet

LWBs
S. Tanser - LWB - 2024

CDMs
D. Reid - CDM/CM - 2023 Offer long term extension though suspect he will move on to a bigger club with the teams already showing an interest

CMs
E. Erhahon - CM - 2023 Big season for Ethan, though his head may already be looking at a move elsewhere

CAMs
G. Kiltie - CAM - 2023 Offer 2 year extension

ST
C. Main - ST - 2023 See how this season goes
E. Brophy - ST - 2024
A. Greive - ST - 2023 Offer long term extension. See him as one of our biggest assets
L. Jamieson - ST - 2023 See how this season goes

2 hours ago, smellthepaw said:

Of that list I'd be looking at us trying to tie some players down on extensions instead of looking at a complete rebuild next summer.

For me, Henderson and Grieve should be priorities for long term extensions.

RWBs
R. Tait - RWB/LWB - 2023 May be entering the tail end of his time with us with age on his side, unless he is happy to just be a squad player
J. Henderson - RWB/RW - 2023 Offer long term extension. See him as one of our biggest assets

CBs
M. Fraser - CB/RB - 2023 See how this season goes
J. Shaughnessy - CB - 2023 Offer 2 yr extension
C. Dunne - CB - 2023 Not bothered, though already rumoured with potential move to dons
D. Finlayson - CB/RB - 2023 Not sure if he has what it takes to cut it yet

LWBs
S. Tanser - LWB - 2024

CDMs
D. Reid - CDM/CM - 2023 Offer long term extension though suspect he will move on to a bigger club with the teams already showing an interest

CMs
E. Erhahon - CM - 2023 Big season for Ethan, though his head may already be looking at a move elsewhere

CAMs
G. Kiltie - CAM - 2023 Offer 2 year extension

ST
C. Main - ST - 2023 See how this season goes
E. Brophy - ST - 2024
A. Greive - ST - 2023 Offer long term extension. See him as one of our biggest assets
L. Jamieson - ST - 2023 See how this season goes

This sums up my sentiments regarding current players perfectly.

7 hours ago, Stu said:

Appreciate he has just been released by a club that finished below us in the league but is Dylan McGeouch worth a punt?

Was waiting for someone to mention this.

I really hope not. He has really gone backwards just like his passing. Not the type of player we should be looking at imo.