The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

7 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Power was never any good for us. The myth that he 'started well for us' is just that. He bounded about giving away fouls, penalties and possession but looked busy in doing so and some folk liked that.

Not for me, Gogic is 10x the player. 

I think what happened was he was a better player than people expected. Which isn't the same as being decent. 

23 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I think what happened was he was a better player than people expected. Which isn't the same as being decent. 

Aye, I thought his legs would have been gone ect, he did get off to a poor start. Daft sending off at Parkhead but he came back from that, did alright. Nothing spectacular but Gogic coming in really showed Power up.

Had heard he was arguing with Robinson at the POTY awards about a new deal. At least he's managed to get himself another gig.

Gogic is 5 times the player Power is, that said he's much younger and we never saw Power in 'his prime'. Whether we get to keep Gogic or not it irrelevant, we don't need Power.

That's not to say Power has been unsuccessful, he's done exactly the job Goodwin wanted him to, and now Goodwin's gone there isn't really a specific role for him. What's more if we need someone to rampage about the midfield disrupting and cajoling while, at the same time, mistiming tackles and constantly being on a yellow card then we've already got Erhahon in the squad.

6 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

Power came in, provided a body, but was never really anything other than OK. Gogic as everyone else has said was way above him. Jim probably has Gogic heading to Aberdeen along with half the Saint's squad.

Weirdly, the prospect of that happening doesn't worry me so much at the moment. Looking through our squad, who might he take that would adequately improve Aberdeen? We've got no midfield left - though you'd imagine he'd be asking the question about McGrath, Ronan and Gogic, none of whom are ours anyway. Brophy hasn't been a target of Aberdeen in the past, and I doubt he would be now. Grieve is too raw. Same for Reid and Henderson. Beyond that, I can't see anyone he'd actually be interested in. There's been talk of Dunne heading up there: they'd have to offer a fee and that is frankly mental, so if they want to do that, let them crack on.

The only other real 'asset' we have is Erhahon, and word is Jim didn't like him. I think we're largely safe from a Dons raid, TBH.

35 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Weirdly, the prospect of that happening doesn't worry me so much at the moment. Looking through our squad, who might he take that would adequately improve Aberdeen? We've got no midfield left - though you'd imagine he'd be asking the question about McGrath, Ronan and Gogic, none of whom are ours anyway. Brophy hasn't been a target of Aberdeen in the past, and I doubt he would be now. Grieve is too raw. Same for Reid and Henderson. Beyond that, I can't see anyone he'd actually be interested in. There's been talk of Dunne heading up there: they'd have to offer a fee and that is frankly mental, so if they want to do that, let them crack on.

The only other real 'asset' we have is Erhahon, and word is Jim didn't like him. I think we're largely safe from a Dons raid, TBH.

Hehe do you not remember this? McInnes was absolutely livid that we managed to offer Brophy a better deal.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/st-mirren-beat-hibs-aberdeen-23263154

I’m not so sure Gogic would go to Aberdeen. Young family, settled in the central belt, etc.

There’s a difference between staying in Scotland and moving to Aberdeen…

40 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Judging by that Aberdeen squad a fair few would improve it but yes, we've got a fair fewof Jim's players away already and the players I'm thinking of are not 'ours' but loanees. 

Dunne makes sense given how poor that Aberdeen defence is but I don't think he is really the signing Aberdeen fans would want. McCarthy rocking up there wouldn't surprise me, nor any of Gogic, Ronan or McGrath.

31 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Hehe do you not remember this? McInnes was absolutely livid that we managed to offer Brophy a better deal.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/st-mirren-beat-hibs-aberdeen-23263154

Jesus, I actually did forget about that. OK, point withdrawn. But I doubt they'd cough up the requisite fee for Brophy anyway.

4 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Aye, I thought his legs would have been gone ect, he did get off to a poor start. Daft sending off at Parkhead but he came back from that, did alright. Nothing spectacular but Gogic coming in really showed Power up.

Had heard he was arguing with Robinson at the POTY awards about a new deal. At least he's managed to get himself another gig.

I thought he was decent enough as a signing and first thoughts were that he was brought in to pair up with Erhahon as a more experienced head in a midfield defensive line, though I guess in the end the way suspensions and injuries went and change of shape, that wasn't quite the case. 

I liked him, though to grow as a team I think the more youthful outfield players we have signed on pre-contracts excite me a little more.

To be honest, I think if Goodwin really is trying to sign guys like Dunne and Gogic then he's not going to last long at Aberdeen. These guys are decent players for us that fit our budget, but they are not up and coming youngsters, and I don't think they are overlooked diamonds as well, they are where they probably deserve to be. Aberdeen have a budget that dwarfs ours, I can understand them going for guys like Alnwick or Ronan, but not squad players like Dunne, or guys who didn't make it at Hibs.

In case there were any lingering doubts about Ethan and Goodwin not getting along, Erhahon has posted this on his Instagram, with (I assume) Lee Erwin adding the clearly pisstaking comment...

I'm not stirring, nor taking sides, but it's fairly clear EE and JG didn't see eye to eye.

Screenshot_20220516-152246.png

Screenshot_20220516-152321.png

36 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

In case there were any lingering doubts about Ethan and Goodwin not getting along, Erhahon has posted this on his Instagram, with (I assume) Lee Erwin adding the clearly pisstaking comment...

I'm not stirring, nor taking sides, but it's fairly clear EE and JG didn't see eye to eye.

Screenshot_20220516-152246.png

Screenshot_20220516-152321.png

To be honest, I think there were a few players that didn't like Goodwin too much. I'm pretty sure Cammy MacPherson wasn't happy under him. Looks like Erwin wasn't much of a fan either. I'm not even sure it matters that much, it could easily be that Sharpe and Langfield were the "morale" guys. 

46 minutes ago, GAD said:

To be honest, I think there were a few players that didn't like Goodwin too much. I'm pretty sure Cammy MacPherson wasn't happy under him. Looks like Erwin wasn't much of a fan either. I'm not even sure it matters that much, it could easily be that Sharpe and Langfield were the "morale" guys. 

Makes sense that guys who couldn’t get a game don’t like the manager. Some players use getting dropped as motivation to get their head down and work hard to get back in the team……….others sulk and stink out the place with their attitude, guess it defines who really makes it as a player.

40 minutes ago, Torfason said:

Makes sense that guys who couldn’t get a game don’t like the manager. Some players use getting dropped as motivation to get their head down and work hard to get back in the team……….others sulk and stink out the place with their attitude, guess it defines who really makes it as a player.

Aye, I guess the fact the club were easy to deal with when it came to getting Erwin and MacPherson out the door tells its own story. Though I see Erwin seems to be doing ok for his new club so far, on paper at least.

Goodwin said once in an interview that he felt Ethan was too immature around the training ground.

I also remember Goodwin admitting that he wasn't a great fan of Thommo as a colleague because he thought he was too full of carry on. The Thommohawk was an ex-international in his mid-thirties at the time!

Different personalities.... hopefully we'll see Erhahon really push on under the new gaffer. Meanwhile, Jim's man-management skills (or lack of) in the past month or so may come back to haunt him.

10 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Goodwin said once in an interview that he felt Ethan was too immature around the training ground.

I also remember Goodwin admitting that he wasn't a great fan of Thommo as a colleague because he thought he was too full of carry on. The Thommohawk was an ex-international in his mid-thirties at the time!

Different personalities.... hopefully we'll see Erhahon really push on under the new gaffer. Meanwhile, Jim's man-management skills (or lack of) in the past month or so may come back to haunt him.

To be fair, i think Tommo could be a bit mental at times. Apart from the McGinn spear incident, i'm sure there were reports from his time in England of threatening to drop toasters into pools that, if true, make you think he has some issues. Always seems so nice on Sportscene as well.

I always thought Goodwins man management was one of his strengths, players always seemed to give everything for him, but there you go.

9 minutes ago, Hendo said:

I always thought Goodwins man management was one of his strengths, players always seemed to give everything for him, but there you go.

Same here. Have been surprised to hear of everything coming out of Pittodrie. Jim himself said that players had "spat the dummy" and dressing room morale hadn't been good. He was getting pelters on Sportsound yesterday, particularly from Willie Miller, for the way Considine was treated. Not a good start up there.

41 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

I'm pretty sure that he said those were his initial impressions but then they actually got on really well.