The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

4 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Anyway, 3 clean sheets in a row, 7 points and a much clearer gameplan than anything we'd provided in the games before leave me feeling a wee bit more confident in Robinson going into the end of the season.

That, plus some decisive move in the transfer market so far.

Something else I was impressed by last night, but I must preface it by saying I'm NOT one of those who thinks a manager has to be screaming and shouting to do a good job... however, I really liked the way Robinson was bellowing at and cajoling players last night, right up to the final whistle. The game was classic dead rubber stuff, but he clearly wasn't happy with the levels in the final 20 or so. I liked that.

24 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

That, plus some decisive move in the transfer market so far.

Robinson's very much about getting players in early. Looking at our 19/20 season 6 of our 10 permanent signings in the summer were pre-contracts (Gallagher, Polworth, Carroll, Sloth, Hylton and Long).

Burrows spoke about it last summer because we were pivoting away from the sort of approach we'd been used to under Robinson. Where he wanted the bulk of his business done by the time pre-season started we chose to aim a bit higher even if it meant having to wait a bit longer.

It's a cack-handed explanation but Robinson's targets with us tended to be players he thought were "gettable" so to speak. He'd write off going for players he thought there was less chance of getting and focus on those who'd maybe be 3rd or 4th options on other teams lists.

His preference was to go out and focus on getting those players early and lock them in rather than waiting on arguably "better quality players" who we'd maybe face more competition for and run the risk of losing out on all our targets as other clubs may have moved on to their alternates by then.

Edited by capt_oats

Thoughts on the Connor McCarthy contract situation?

In 6 months or so I've moved from fearing we'd lose him for nothing to wondering if he's worth another 2 year deal. The injury hasn't helped but a poorer season than last definitely. Never as good with his feet as JS or CD but pretty solid usually. Mistakes have crept in though and he's not looking quite the player he was.

I wouldn't be overly disappointed if Goodwin took him to Aberdeen....

7 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Thoughts on the Connor McCarthy contract situation?

In 6 months or so I've moved from fearing we'd lose him for nothing to wondering if he's worth another 2 year deal. The injury hasn't helped but a poorer season than last definitely. Never as good with his feet as JS or CD but pretty solid usually. Mistakes have crept in though and he's not looking quite the player he was.

I wouldn't be overly disappointed if Goodwin took him to Aberdeen....

He's dipped in form- he got away with one on Mullen against Dundee. I think he can recapture it but maybe needs to move to do that. Wouldn't mind him resigning, wouldn't be distraught if he moved. 

No brainer to keep McCarthy if he's prepared to stay. Inexplicably dropped for Dunne at the start of the season just to shoehorn in a left footer to the back 3. Unfortunate that his injury return coincided with the time we went on a run and struggled to get back until the last few weeks. Good defender and should be kept IMO - would imagine he would fancy his chances to move on and get more money. 

Think McCarthy has struggled with lack of game time and injuries. No one can convince me Dunne is a better centre half. 

I still think we need to be looking at a first choice centre half to play alongside Joe as minimum and possibly a backup

McCarthy had a good season, then a fairly poor one. I certainly wouldn't be against him staying but you wonder if he'd feel he'll get a better crack of the whip elsewhere, as I think most would feel if Dunne doesn't go off to Aberdeen then Robinson is likely to use him as 1st choice. Is McCarthy worthy of being first pick? On last season's form? Probably. This seasons? Much less so.

It all depends on whether he'll recapture his form and progress and I guess that sort of gamble is the bread and butter of being a manager.

Bring in a better player than both Dunne and McCarthy and the problem resolves itself.

Tell McCarthy he either signs the deal by the end of this month or we release him. The last thing we need is another JDH saga dragging on all summer. Agree regarding his form, last season he was probably our best defender and a POTY candidate. This year he has struggled with injury and form, and has had a few howlers. Remember a bad one at home to Rangers at the start of the season and he was awful in the 4-2 humping at Fir Park.

In saying that i would happily keep him based on his 2020/2021 form, in the hope that he can get fit and recapture that. 

Get tomorrow out of the way and we can announce our summer schedule - Tinpot kit launch with kids sizes out of stock before even going on sale, other kids running around in the new ‘Old Firm’, Barcelona, and Liverpool shirts for two months before ours. Announce an underwhelming signing or two, website reports (again) that work being undertaken at the stadium will deliver an ‘enhanced fan matchday experience’. Announce an underwhelming loanee or two. Wish Jak Alnwick all the best as he joins Aberdeen. Announce a new partnership with a local company to sponsor the team socks.

Love the close season. 😀

1 minute ago, Buddiesaint said:

Hate to ruin your summer plans Pozbaird, but Alnwick has apparently as good as signed a precontract with Cardiff.....

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/cardiff-city-transfer-news-deal-23925648

Don't worry, I'm sure the rest will come true!

Blow for Goodwin. Alnwick would really have helped Aberdeen avoid relegation next season.

58 minutes ago, Lex said:

Tell McCarthy he either signs the deal by the end of this month or we release him. The last thing we need is another JDH saga dragging on all summer. Agree regarding his form, last season he was probably our best defender and a POTY candidate. This year he has struggled with injury and form, and has had a few howlers. Remember a bad one at home to Rangers at the start of the season and he was awful in the 4-2 humping at Fir Park.

In saying that i would happily keep him based on his 2020/2021 form, in the hope that he can get fit and recapture that. 

I think Robinson will have a different approach on waiting on players to sign contracts offered. He's already made plans of who will be here and who won't next season in advance. And as mentioned by capt_oaks he acts quickly.

I still think Dunne will end up at Aberdeen, so we may need to prepare a close season looking for potentially a replacement for both Dunne and McCarthy.

McCarthy imo is worth a new contract though not 100% convinced he will be a first pick now, so that may be a deciding factor for him on his future.

On a side note, anyone else noticed the difference in the dugout? Goodwin always seemed fairly relaxed, although happy to give a moan or two, but Robinson is a bundle of nervous energy. Not sure which is better for the team, but as a supporter I think I preferred Goodwin's manner. It's a small thing, certainly not worth being bothered by, just wondering if others had noticed.

16 minutes ago, Ric said:

On a side note, anyone else noticed the difference in the dugout? Goodwin always seemed fairly relaxed, although happy to give a moan or two, but Robinson is a bundle of nervous energy. Not sure which is better for the team, but as a supporter I think I preferred Goodwin's manner. It's a small thing, certainly not worth being bothered by, just wondering if others had noticed.

Yeah, the difference is quite stark. Robinson kicks every ball, you can imagine his enthusiasm would be pretty infectious. I think similar to their post match interviews, Goodwin is a lot calmer and clearer. Robinson got some stick for his interviews when we were on our bad run but after a good result the enthusiasm is probably a positive thing. He certainly couldn't be accused of not caring.