The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

2 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

I would love to see him come back to the club. Hopefully part of his journey to become our manager eventually.

He seems like a great lad, lots of our fans are sorry to see him go tbh. One thing thou, he'll never need to put his hand in his pocket in Killie for a beer for sure.

6 minutes ago, C4mmy31 said:

He seems like a great lad, lots of our fans are sorry to see him go tbh. One thing thou, he'll never need to put his hand in his pocket in Killie for a beer for sure.

Finding a role for him would be a PR masterstroke for Robinson. I'm glad joining Killie worked out for McGinn. He deserved better than having his career peter out in Greenock.

13 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

Least exciting signing of the 4 to me. A quick look says he's hardly prolific. Not coming in to be first choice on the team sheet, You'd hope.

Decent enough age and has a relationship with Robinson though so at least there's that. Has also  already shown Robinson that he'll cover RW if needed. 

Watch him bang in 20+ goals including a hattrick against Celtic in the Scottish Cup final to make me look like a mug.

19 minutes ago, C4mmy31 said:

He’s a genuine legend at St Mirren. Came back when Jack Ross signed him, and was the driving force behind the team who performed the great escape from relegation to playing his part as captain of the championship winning team the next season. 

On 08/05/2022 at 00:39, FTOF said:

Apparently we're after Jonah Ayunga from Morecambe.

Pacey forward like Charles-Cook at Ross County, only much taller.

In contract, but available for transfer.

Jonah Ayunga - Wikipedia

7 hours ago, NorthBank said:

7 hours ago, Buddiesaint said:

Least exciting signing of the 4 to me. A quick look says he's hardly prolific. Not coming in to be first choice on the team sheet, You'd hope.

Decent enough age and has a relationship with Robinson though so at least there's that. Has also  already shown Robinson that he'll cover RW if needed. 

Watch him bang in 20+ goals including a hattrick against Celtic in the Scottish Cup final to make me look like a mug.

Well there's a surprise.;)

Least exciting?  A pacey wide player who is over six feet. Quite exciting to me. Not the type of player we've had before.

8 hours ago, C4mmy31 said:

Is Stephen McGinn joining your coaching staff?

At least thats the word down our way after he left Killie today.

In the statement Kilmarnock put out it seemed that he was leaving so he could get more game time somewhere else. 

I'd love McGinn to be back at St Mirren but I don't think we could guarantee him games. 

1 hour ago, Ric said:

Positives? He had a blinding season at Havant & Waterlooville.
Negatives? It was Havant & Waterlooville.

6 goals in 36 player for league 1 in England looks like a pretty decent return for me. Certainly looks like he’ll be different to what we have.

17 minutes ago, aldo_j said:

6 goals in 36 player for league 1 in England looks like a pretty decent return for me. Certainly looks like he’ll be different to what we have.

I wasn't being negative, just making a joke that he had a great season a few years back, but that the great season was some distance down the pyramid.

Who knows how he'll turn out, although I'd be very very surprised if he is at Charles-Cook level as some have hinted at.

I presume he'll be coming in as a winger, as Main Brophy and Grieve are our first choice strikers with youth players waiting their turn.

Folk should remember that players signed from a similar level by Robinson, while in charge at Motherwell were comfortably better than anyone we had at that time. 

We’ve not had a player like Ayunga so let’s give the lad a chance to show what he can do.

3 hours ago, FTOF said:

Least exciting?  A pacey wide player who is over six feet. Quite exciting to me. Not the type of player we've had before.

If Robinson is true to form in terms of his recruitment then you'll see a pile of these types of players turning up.

His whole thing at Motherwell (and Morecambe I suspect based on the bits and pieces I read) was finding players who have raw attributes (pace, physicality etc) with the view that he can coach them to make them better. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. Petravicius, Ariyibi, Hylton, Long, Seedorf, Cole, Manzinga, Ilic, Ndjoli, Aarons...take your pick.

You look through the list of signings he made for us (there were a lot) and the common theme for forwards was:

• “He’s got pace to burn, has an incredible work rate and can play anywhere across the front three, which will give us plenty of variety going forward.”
  • “He will bring even more pace and energy to our front line and he will give us options across all of the three forward positions.”
  • "is quick, strong and gives us an option all across the forward line,” 

This is what Robinson said about Ayunga when he signed for Morecambe last year:

“I’m delighted, Jonah’s a boy I’ve kept tabs on since Bristol Rovers signed him and he has a lot of good attributes,” Robinson said.

“He is a big, strong boy, he can run in behind, and there are aspects of his game we know we can improve, he’s still young and there’s a lot of potential in him."

Link

I'm sure I've posted this on here before but if you listen to this interview with him he outlines his approach to recruitment and what he looks for in a player at around 19 mins 50 secs: "Pace is my first and foremost in recruitment."

11 hours ago, Buddiesaint said:

From the article, it describes him as a wide player, not as an out and out striker. 

There have been plenty of players who have came up to Scotland and made a bigger impact than some of the guys who have come from a higher tier.

I trust from the manager not long leaving the English game at that level and already had experience managing in the Scottish Prem, he has a good understanding of the type of player required and if they have the right mentality.

15 minutes ago, Doonhame Buddie said:

Morecambe are retaining Jon Obika but happy to release Jonah Ayunga. Does that tell us anything about the relative merits of the two players? 

Im sure he's been made available for transfer too?

39 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

"Pace is my first and foremost in recruitment."

I see he uses my strategy for recruiting players in FIFA! If you can't reach the ball first, it's irrelevant how technically good you are.

2 hours ago, Ric said:

Who knows how he'll turn out, although I'd be very very surprised if he is at Charles-Cook level as some have hinted at.

Worth noting that Charles-Cook was pretty poor in his first season. A lot of players need some time to settle in and fans can often have them judged after a game or two.

I remember a player coming off the bench for his debut in the mid 90s. Within a few minutes, he'd taken a touch of the ball, lost his balance and fallen over. "HE'S SHITE", came a shout behind me. The player had been on the park for a matter of minutes. That player was Jim Gardner, so the moral of the story is that sometimes fans' early judgements are accurate.

7 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

A lot of players need some time to settle in and fans can often have them judged after a game or two.

Expectation management is not a phrase I associate with our fanbase! :lol:

..but you are right, we shouldn't judge too early, best to wait until much later when a striker has notched up just one league goal all season.. ;)

Hopefully if we do sign this guy, Robinson’s interview on the club website does indeed read ‘He’s a lad I know well, he’s pacy, can play in a couple of positions, is ready for the step up and will certainly add to the group we already have here’.

If however, Robinson’s interview reads ‘I appreciate no-one up here has heard of the big diddy, but who the fcuk do you think we’re going to sign, Haaland or Mbape? Moaning faced cnuts’.….

….then I may well be delighted at his candour and be completely shocked in equal measure. 😀