The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Keeping Main feels like it becomes a bit less of a gamble if you have Greive and Brophy there, with the two young guys backing them up. Gives more flexibility and options. There were times this season where Main was the only option, and with his form being so bad it didn't do him any favours.

3 minutes ago, GAD said:

Keeping Main feels like it becomes a bit less of a gamble if you have Greive and Brophy there, with the two young guys backing them up. Gives more flexibility and options. There were times this season where Main was the only option, and with his form being so bad it didn't do him any favours.

It'll help if his performances mean his selection/appearance on the touchline to be brought on doesn't prompt groans from the crowd. The more he can show what he is capable of, the more people will welcome him onto the pitch, and hopefully he'll be lifted by that.

24 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

It'll help if his performances mean his selection/appearance on the touchline to be brought on doesn't prompt groans from the crowd. The more he can show what he is capable of, the more people will welcome him onto the pitch, and hopefully he'll be lifted by that.

Yeah, of course. I guess you could say that for every player tbh.

35 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

I know but you specifically and repeatedly said that was his  1st goal of the season with no mention of competition.

I have been pretty clear in my criticism of Main that I've been referring to league goals, maybe not the most recent posts, but I didn't expect people to need to me to say it every single time. I presumed people knew the context, but fair enough I'll be clearer next time.

Even then, adding in a couple of cup goals against much poorer opposition, and for those goals to be almost a year apart to his 3rd goal, and only league goal, is hardly the stuff you put on your CV.

Edited by Ric

2 hours ago, Ric said:

Saturday saw Main's first league goal of the season.

M8J3tDe.png

No it wasn't. The bookies paid out and he was offically credited as the scorer. I was in the family stand that day and had money on him. There was some debate on here if he touched it or not. He did. Backwards head over the defender and their goalie, who had a fucking car-crash of a performance that game. 

1 minute ago, Doctor Sanchez said:

No it wasn't. The bookies paid out and he was offically credited as the scorer. I was in the family stand that day and had money on him. There was some debate on here if he touched it or not. He did. Backwards head over the defender and their goalie, who had a fucking car-crash of a performance that game. 

He never touched it, but you are right Lewis was having a howler.

Only the BBC seem to think Main is on 2 goals, most other sources have him on 1, but it's as I said to Lex whether it's one or two, that's not good enough over a season.

3 hours ago, Ric said:

Or... perhaps only a St Mirren fan could somehow hold onto the hope about a player who has failed to score in every single game they have played, until 3 games before the end of the season, and at the same time praise that player for "securing our top flight" when they have been at least partly responsible for why the club needed to wait until the 3rd last game of the season to be secure.

It's not like I have denied his two recent performances have probably been his best, but that is the problem here.

This is the same for every single player in the squad though. The person most responsible for Main's performances have been Main himself. I have stated time and again, I bear no ill will towards Main. If people are willing to pay him to play then who am I to say he shouldn't. My point is that he has simply not provided the return that even the most modest requirement would consider a success.

In fact, if there is anyone to "blame" here, it's Goodwin for not getting the best out of him. There is no "blame" to be had, I understand why he was bought, but it hasn't worked out. Robinson looks to have improved his output by playing him as a 2, but even at his best, his very best, he is not a consistent scorer, and that as a striker is literally the thing you are brought to the club for.

Ach, I was only pulling your leg. 😜 You could however say that Erhahon has went down in your estimation, because if he can get stuck in and influence a game like the Dundee game, then where’s he been hiding before Saturday? Robinson has overseen two great results, but bugger giving him any praise, because he’s been in charge of shite results prior to the last two. Come on Ric, get on the Curtis Main bandwagon. 😎

Under Robinson I would be expecting Offord and perhaps Lewis Jamieson to get some minutes next season.

Offord, having played this season on the Lowland League and done very well, may benefit from a loan to a Leage One  of Championship side.

Jamieson I think did ok at Inverness the first half of this  season and it looks like he's done well at Clyde in the second half of the campaign.

From the outside, it certainly seems that SR likes Offord so who knows if he will be sent out on another loan or if he'll be used as a squad player.

6 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Ach, I was only pulling your leg. 😜

Yeah, I know. I did start my comment with "My opinion is a bit different to others"... ;)

As for giving Robinson praise, I've not not been giving him praise. I said that if given the chance he was a much better option than others linked with us and he has experience at this level. He had a dreadful start, with Ronan red carded within minutes of his first game, then the OF and we picked up injuries and suspensions. So I don't blame Robinson for the position of the team as such, just frustrated that he took what we all thought was a team that had finally (finally!) found its feet and changed things around, while claiming he'd been forced into it.

Edited by Ric

12 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

Under Robinson I would be expecting Offord and perhaps Lewis Jamieson to get some minutes next season.

Offord, having played this season on the Lowland League and done very well, may benefit from a loan to a Leage One  of Championship side.

Jamieson I think did ok at Inverness the first half of this  season and it looks like he's done well at Clyde in the second half of the campaign.

From the outside, it certainly seems that SR likes Offord so who knows if he will be sent out on another loan or if he'll be used as a squad player.

I've got a feeling Offord will be involved and part of our first team squad next season. He is one that has been spoke about since he was around 14/15 in the under 18s, so I think he is highly regarded at the club and the half season on loan at East Stirling has benefited him, scoring 12 goals. He may not be a starter, though Imagine he will be getting minutes similar to Jay Henderson, when he first broke through. 

Hope it's shite. We need him next season to be playing more. What we have seen of him, i don't think he looks out of place.
What I have seen of Aberdeen's Ramsay I didn't think much of him, but here we are seeing things coming out Liverpool and Leeds Talkin £4m. This article is saying 6 figures for Reid. We need to be integrating the academy players more, trying to get them on longer deals and trying to make more money like rival teams like Aberdeen, who are currently below us.

8 hours ago, greenock saint said:

There is quite literally nothing in this lazy excuse for a 'story' with new information. It's a two paragraph friendly reminder that Benfica and Bayern have kept tabs in the past and 'could' move for him in summer before going on to talk more extensively about other Scots playing abroad.

Even the revelation of a 'six figure' fee is broad and lazy as f**k. Every decent young player we've ever sold was for six figures.

Honestly, a fan blog could have written this article and you wouldn't have noticed the difference.

We'll always be a selling club, that's just the reality, and as @djc writes, it's pretty lazy journalism with few actual details. I wonder if his agent has asked for a favour?

However, when you consider the positions we were in regarding our other youth development such as McGinn, McLean and Magennis, where our hand was forced due to their contract status, at least in Reid's case, he's just signed a decent length deal that should provide us with enough cover as to not have the lad "stolen" from us.