The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

There’s a player in Erhahon somewhere and probably best he moves on to a fresh start. He’s never really established himself or sorted out his attitude. 

To suggest his colour has anything to do with his inability to show the correct level of performance required  at this level is bonkers. 

He seems a nice bubbly type of lad and is only about 20 years old. He needs to do a bit maturing on and off the park, and sort out his issues to move on and further his career.

2 hours ago, GAD said:

Erhahon wouldn't get anything like the level of stick he does from the St Mirren dad's if he was white. He's a massively better player than MacPherson for example who they all loved and cried about leaving to St Johnstone. He was scapegoated for the Hibs result pretty unfairly considering he was miles better than Power that day, the senior player who has been selling the jerseys every week with barely a peep said about it.

That's a terrible thing to say .

Just now, glenburn bud said:

To suggest his colour has anything to do with his inability to show the correct level of performance required  at this level is bonkers.

I could be wrong here, but I don't think that's what is being discussed. It's whether the criticism of him is emphasised by the "yer da" types who are willing to be reductionist regarding race.

Let's be honest, does Erhahon experience racism almost every single day he leaves his house? Probably. Which is damning af, but sadly true. It is a sad fact of life for just about anyone non-white. Better up here than it is down South, it has to be said, although that is small comfort.

14 minutes ago, aldo_j said:

I was more referencing going PT at Ayr and realising his career was slipping away unless he got himself fit and firing.

Yeah. I see where you are coming from. In Shankland's case, the dropping down the leagues worked for him, at least in part, but moving the Belgium doesn't seem to have.

The main difference with Erhahon and MacPherson for me is that I think most folk quickly realised the MacPherson was a sort of industrious, hard working type with limited ability. Erhahon, on the other hand, had shown some flashes of real qualirty and abilitiy and as a fanbase we have had high expectations of him for the last 3ish years. The player we thought he was going to develop into has failed to materialise thus far.

His attitude has reportedly been a problem for several years. I got the impression Goodwin wasn't particulary a fan of Erhahon's attitude.

Following his stint atr Barnsley, it's been evident to me that he clearly doesn't want to be here and sees himself playing at a far higher level. I haven't saw any evidence to back that up.

To add to all of that, it doesn't help when, what is essentially a young boy, takes to social media to have a pop at the fans.

He needs to just knuckle down, screw the nut and try to kick on into the player we though we were getting 2/3 years ago. Whether that's at us or elsewhere, at this point I'm not really arsed. Best of luck to him, but I can't say I'm too fussed if he's moved on.

Edited by Shuggie_Murray7

2 hours ago, GAD said:

Erhahon wouldn't get anything like the level of stick he does from the St Mirren dad's if he was white. He's a massively better player than MacPherson for example who they all loved and cried about leaving to St Johnstone. He was scapegoated for the Hibs result pretty unfairly considering he was miles better than Power that day, the senior player who has been selling the jerseys every week with barely a peep said about it.

FFS are you being serious? If so, you should give your head a wobble.

46 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

Would be a great move for Erahon. Always been impressed by him when I've seen him play. 

He's had games where he has looked the full package. Hungry, dynamic, mobile... Playing with bite and vision, able to pick a pass and dictate a game.

Sadly, there have been but a handful of such games. If I close my eyes and imagine him playing, I mainly see someone blindly heading the ball forwards about 15 yards to an opponent, or "winning a free kick" and whinging at the referee in that way that really ought to result in more bookings for players.

In a nutshell, he came back from Barnsley a better player, but not one who wanted to play for us any more, and it shows.

3 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

He's had games where he has looked the full package. Hungry, dynamic, mobile... Playing with bite and vision, able to pick a pass and dictate a game.

Sadly, there have been but a handful of such games. If I close my eyes and imagine him playing, I mainly see someone blindly heading the ball forwards about 15 yards to an opponent, or "winning a free kick" and whinging at the referee in that way that really ought to result in more bookings for players.

In a nutshell, he came back from Barnsley a better player, but not one who wanted to play for us any more, and it shows.

It's when you compare the first half of the first Rangers home game to the recent Hibs game.

Against Rangers, he was everywhere and seemed unplayable, pinging about passes that you'd expect Ronan to be making. As such, we played Rangers off the park for the majority of that half. Against Hibs, however, he'd win the first ball then stop, and then complain that the opposition had retaken posession; and his passing was abysmal. How he wasn't hooked after 55/60mins is beyond me. 

It's that Jekyll and Hyde aspect that frustrates me. He has the ability to be the first name on the team sheet each week, but doesn't seem to want to show it

Edited by dublin_bud
Spellong

I've been going to watch St Mirren since the early 90s. I could count on one hand how many overtly racist comments I've heard and it's been a long time since I heard anything overtly racist. 

But racism isn't always openly apparent. I think accusations of racism should be met with a bit of humility and contemplation, rather than a blanket refusal to accept that it has happened, or saying 'at least we're not as bad as them down the road." We can all learn and we can all be better. 

Does Ethan Erhahon receive racist abuse from St Mirren fans? Not that I've heard. Is some of the stick he gets worse because of his ethnicity? That's entirely possible and I don't think it's helpful to refuse to accept that possibility. 

6 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

I've been going to watch St Mirren since the early 90s. I could count on one hand how many overtly racist comments I've heard and it's been a long time since I heard anything overtly racist. 

But racism isn't always openly apparent. I think accusations of racism should be met with a bit of humility and contemplation, rather than a blanket refusal to accept that it has happened, or saying 'at least we're not as bad as them down the road." We can all learn and we can all be better. 

Does Ethan Erhahon receive racist abuse from St Mirren fans? Not that I've heard. Is some of the stick he gets worse because of his ethnicity? That's entirely possible and I don't think it's helpful to refuse to accept that possibility. 

I think it's more down to his hot and cold form, we can all see there is a player in there somewhere. He seems to play well when the teams playing well and vice versa. 

Would have preferred us to get the best out of him on a regular basis as he is clearly talented. A good fee n sell on clause appears to be the best outcome for us now, and he might get a good move. 

35 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

Understandable but from what I can see, it's honestly not really any worse than some of the stuff that was levelled at Kenny McLean until his last half season when he became our only goalscorer and Stevie Mallan before Jack Ross took over in the championship. I watched Mallan's old man a few times getting really heated up at some of the shouts levelled his boy's way.

Doesn't make it acceptable of course. Our supporters have a strange habit of expecting the sun and moon from young lads who are still learning and finding their way. Folk usually say players get cut more slack because they are youth products but I've always felt it was the opposite with us in general terms.

Edited by djchapsticks

Curtis Main gets pelters while Jon Obika didn’t. I never, ever, shout abuse at any St Mirren player even if I don’t rate them, but I simply refuse to believe Erhahon gets more abuse from the stands at St Mirren Park because of his colour. In fact, I think the suggestion is ridiculous. As others have said, the likes of Kenny McLean, Paul Lambert….christ, Billy Stark had his card marked as being a lazy barsteward by some of our clientele… they, and many others, got abuse too. White, black, pink with purple spots… It’s nothing to do with colour, it’s everything to do with him simply being the latest in a long line of players who happen not to be the flavour of the month with some of our more vocal fans.

Edited by pozbaird

I don't want to labour the point but I think highlighting white players who've got abuse and black players who haven't, kind of misses the point. All players will get stick at some point, it is possible that Erhahon gets more than he would if he was white.

As I said, I don't think it's helpful just to say that there's no racism here. We're all capable of saying/thinking something racist without realising it. What's important is that we always try to be better. 

When you look at the most recent academy players who broke through and moved on for money (Morgan, Mallan and Magennis) they established themselves in a team operating at a level below where we are now. It's easier to do that and look accomplished when the opposition have Michael Tidser or Stuart Carswell in the middle of the park rather than Joe Newell or Lewis Ferguson. It's a step up for our academy to produce players who can cement a place in a Premiership starting 11.

I think that's probably where we are with Erhahon just now. Would likely be a standout in the Championship but he's not quite there yet in the top league. Coming up though to his 5th season in and around the first team? 21 next week... If he stays then it's quite a big season for him.

Edited by Buttocks Brown

7 hours ago, SuperSaints1877 said:

There is a gulf in class between a young Paul Lambert and Ethan Erhahon.

One was a Scottish cup winning legend aged 17.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing

I remember he was getting stick when he was down in the Championship getting gubbed by Raith Rovers 7-0

A debate about whether stick given to Ethan is because of the colour of his skin when absolutely no one including the poster who made the claim has heard a single racial slur aimed at the guy is utterly bizarre stuff. It never ever crossed my mind that he was getting stick for anything bar his performance (or lack of on occasions) and I find it a bit mental that folk still think that way. Truly depressing stuff.

Alright everyone, after a massive result at the weekend I am running a giveaway on my podcasts Twitter page for a St Mirren shirt signed by this seasons squad if anyone fancies getting involved, all the best to everyone who enters!

Cheers

Ross

40918D33-454C-4B05-8479-32ADFCE716BC.png

11 hours ago, ZingaliMan said:

The only racism I know of was a fan who made a protest against an Israeli player and he was removed from the stadium. He would say it was a political protest.  I was accused by Dunfermline fans for asking who their coloured player was.  Personally I don't see any racism problem at our club at all it's a card that can be thrown about  easily in all honesty we don't have that problem at our club.

Controversial stuff! Opening a can of worms, there...

I don't think our club is in the least bit racist. Obika was a St. Mirren celebrity, not without good reason given the importance of his goal against Hearts. I respect anyone who plays for the shirt, (obviously) regardless of race, and I think that's true of our support. Erhahon has potential, and I would certainly keep him if we can at a reasonable cost, but he's not great. 

What worries me is that if we're really paying Main the astronomical wages we're alleged to be paying him, then others will be wanting more - and Erhahon is a much better prospect than Main, irrespective of his recent performance against the Fakes.