The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Erhahon wouldn't get anything like the level of stick he does from the St Mirren dad's if he was white. He's a massively better player than MacPherson for example who they all loved and cried about leaving to St Johnstone. He was scapegoated for the Hibs result pretty unfairly considering he was miles better than Power that day, the senior player who has been selling the jerseys every week with barely a peep said about it.
Nothing to do with colour. Ethan has a good left foot. Full stop. He doesn't track runners, close players down or mark anyone to nam some of his main faults. When he doesn't have the ball he looks like a wee lost boy having no sense of the play around him. And since no player has much of the ball his contribution to the team's efforts is miniscule. Ethan has very poor game awareness. Fans just seem to notice him when he has the ball but never seem to notice him when he hasn't. Either he is not being coached or he isn't taking it in. Either way there has been little development in the 5 years he has been in the first team squad.

9 minutes ago, GAD said:

Deadly serious. Truth hurts sometimes but it's better to face up than pretend it's not happening.

I definitely think you're barking up the wrong tree here. 

I think the racism, whether casual or not, is thrown into perspective when considering the way we all praised Obika. It's clearly not a cultural thing at the club.

However, sadly, as we see in our every day lives, there are people out there who are so blinkered, so myopic, so fundamentally ignorant, that they will use anything to take a dig and race is an option. My point is not that I've experienced it either in the stands or on here (well not from St Mirren fans, at least), but it's part of society and to be expected even if it's absolutely abhorrent.

Deadly serious. Truth hurts sometimes but it's better to face up than pretend it's not happening.

Haha wit!?

I have heard from several sources / several times over the years his attitude and professionalism off the park isn’t what it should be. He is clearly
A good player, but something isn’t right, and the fact “such a good player” hasn’t nailed down a regular spot after a few seasons would suggest that he isn’t doing what he’s being asked to do.

Either that or our last 3 managers are racist too.

15 minutes ago, GAD said:

The only racism I know of was a fan who made a protest against an Israeli player and he was removed from the stadium. He would say it was a political protest.  I was accused by Dunfermline fans for asking who their coloured player was.  Personally I don't see any racism problem at our club at all it's a card that can be thrown about  easily in all honesty we don't have that problem at our club.

Look let's get this nipped in the bud right now. One person has alleged this and its not even based on fact but his own opinion.

The real reasons for the criticism of Erhahon have been expressed...he's lazy off the ball, his passing is frequently erratic and he all too often disappears during a game.

The colour of his skin has fuck all to do with that criticism.

28 minutes ago, GAD said:

Yeah I've thought this for a while aswell. It's not overt or direct of course, but there's clearly undertones of it. At a different level Pogba gets very similar, particularly from Souness and other old white pundits down there. The usual stereotypes of 'not a hard worker, not a good attitude etc' are trotted out ad nauseum whenever he doesn't have a good game. When he does have a good game you don't hear anything. I remember away at Livi earlier in the season, Erhahon got the foot in and won a tackle on the edge of our own box, played a nice ball to Ronan, then made a lung busting run up the other end of the pitch and scored the winning goal a few seconds later.  Radio silence from the usual suspects followed.

The comparison with MacPherson is relevant, he came through at the same time and plays a similar position. He was clearly a much worse player who did not and will never attract interest from any clubs bigger than us, but he got a comparatively easy ride from the boo boys as he was seen as one of our own.

This is why i think it will be best for all parties if there is a parting of ways in the summer. If we get a big sell percentage on in place i think he could make the club a lot of money in a few years. 

39 minutes ago, geo87 said:

Haha wit!?

I have heard from several sources / several times over the years his attitude and professionalism off the park isn’t what it should be. He is clearly
A good player, but something isn’t right, and the fact “such a good player” hasn’t nailed down a regular spot after a few seasons would suggest that he isn’t doing what he’s being asked to do.

Either that or our last 3 managers are racist too.

He's played 95 games for St Mirren at the age of 20. Yeah, managers hate him.

58 minutes ago, Ric said:

I appreciate you are meaning for Erhahon, but Shankland's sojourn to Belgium has been the opposite, it's not helped him at all. If anything, it's left him looking like a one season wonder rather than a player for the future.

Lawrence Shankland is 27 in August.

He stopped being “one for the future” about 6 years ago! 

There is nothing racist about the criticism of Ethan. I think most fans are just frustrated that he has shown flashes of what he can do, but he has not progressed as we hoped he would. I was all for giving him a run in the team but he has been quite poor this season, whether starting or as a substitute.  He seems to have a problem with his attitude and that shows on the pitch.  For what it's worth, Pogba is a waste of a wage but I'd happily take Kante.  

16 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Lawrence Shankland is 27 in August.

He stopped being “one for the future” about 6 years ago! 

In terms of getting a big move and forcing his way into the Scotland team.

Although I take your point.

1 hour ago, Ric said:

I appreciate you are meaning for Erhahon, but Shankland's sojourn to Belgium has been the opposite, it's not helped him at all. If anything, it's left him looking like a one season wonder rather than a player for the future.

I was more referencing going PT at Ayr and realising his career was slipping away unless he got himself fit and firing.

Can't get on board with the racist undertones side of it at all.

I'd say it's definitely a combination of unrealistic expectations of a player in that position and perception of someone working smart meaning not working hard. I remember Kenny McLean and Stevie Mallan getting the exact same stick in that area of the park as youngsters until they were both moved into roles more befitting to them. Many would think because they weren't always busy, flying into tackles and chasing lost causes all day, they were a shitebag and/or not trying.

MacPherson on the other hand got plenty of praise because he'd run about like a headless chicken all day for you and do a whole lot of nothing much apart from one in every 4 or 5 games. It's the same rationale that some still inexplicably use to rate Alan Power as a good signing for us.

I'm sure when Erhahon moves on, Dylan Reid will be next to get it because from what I've seen, he's also a very good footballer but doesn't just fly about chasing the ball like a dog chasing traffic.