The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

On 25/04/2022 at 15:21, Coventry Saint said:

Something that a lot of folk overlook is that our decent form coincided with Kiltie being played at number 10. Ronan was operating in a wider/roaming role. Kiltie was a revelation and it looked like his time had come. He was dangerous and creative.

As far as I know, Kiltie has yet to be played in that position since Robinson came in. He's been wide, benched or unavailable.

Play Kiltie at number 10, win football matches.

It really is a simple game sometimes.

Well done to Robinson and the players. Terrible run, pressure was building, biggest game of the season yet we were relaxed and composed today, controlling large chunks of the 90 minutes. Put in a performance when it mattered and the result never looked in doubt after we went ahead. Looking forward now to the Dundee and Livingston games.

6 hours ago, Ric said:

Sort of disappointing Main played better than average, it will give Robinson more reason to pick him.

Other than that, it was a rotten game, we looked nervy and weren't able to kill them off. That said, St Johnstone look as bad as I've ever seen them, and that includes in the Championship.

We have breathing space, which _should_ be enough, and gives Robinson some room to work out what he wants his team to look like next season.

Fair to say Main frustrates all the support but there is no getting away from the fact Robinson knows how to utilise Main.  Prolific scorer he is not however playing up front with a light weight Alex Greive he does compliment the forward line with his physical play. Yes would prefer a prolific striker but that won't happen with our budget unless one pops up from the academy.  Would not surprise me if Robinson wants Main for next season Main can rough up defences you can also see his confidence growing.  That's the way I see it. 

3 hours ago, Buttocks Brown said:

At ease knicker-wetters, at ease.

So we've almost certainly avoided relegation! But two wins in nine games, both by a single goal against the worst performing sides in the league, is terrible form. However, it's clear he's staying so I will have to live with that. 

I’ve been one of the more critical posters when it comes to Curtis Main. I just didn’t think he had it in him to produce anything, but fair play to the lad for giving it his all today. Ultimately we don’t want anyone to fail as supporters we want to see players and management do well.

Im pleased for Stephen Robinson after the amount of stick he’s taken. It’s great to be able to relax a bit and concentrate on the rebuild for next season. He can now build his own side and give it a proper go next season.

If Main can be that battering ram that we seemingly signed him to be then he will be an asset.

It's the heartless empty shirt performances that have been so frustrating this season. I agree with @Biscuits that he didn't play badly in the first 45 minutes last week but the last 30 totally undid all his good work before that in one of the most Jekyll and Hyde performances I can remember. Yesterday he was on the ball for the full game. He was just a total pain in the hole for St. Johnstone's Centre halves.

More of that application and he might win a few folk round.

18 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

If Main can be that battering ram that we seemingly signed him to be then he will be an asset.

It's the heartless empty shirt performances that have been so frustrating this season. I agree with @Biscuits that he didn't play badly in the first 45 minutes last week but the last 30 totally undid all his good work before that in one of the most Jekyll and Hyde performances I can remember. Yesterday he was on the ball for the full game. He was just a total pain in the hole for St. Johnstone's Centre halves.

More of that application and he might win a few folk round.

I thought he was ok when he came on against Rangers as well. He was about the only player that showed any kind of fight in the second half of that game. 

If Robinson can get a tune out him then it'll be like having a new player. 

Safe to say he and Greive aren't on the same wavelength yet, mind, which isn't surprising.

Main won, and headed down, an absolutely glorious ball for Greive at one point in the first half, but Greive hadn't anticipated it. Main gave him mild pelters for it. 

Shows the importance of letting these guys get game time together. 

Main is a decent back to goal defensive striker. He’s not afraid of putting his body in the way of things, winning fouls and getting us up the pitch, and he done plenty of that yesterday.
Facing goal he doesn’t offer much, his movement isn’t great and he doesn’t seem to have much of a shot on him.
Listening to Robbo’s comments it sounds like he’s going to be here next season along with Greive and Brophy. Will be signing at least one more too I assume. Quite happy for him to stay as 4th choice striker as he offers us something different.

6 hours ago, ZingaliMan said:

I'm not sure who is in contact for next season would appreciate any Buds who name players whose contracts will be in Paisley next season. Thanks. 

Carson, Lyness

Shaughnessy, Dunne, Fraser, Tait, Finlayson

O'Hara, Erhahon, Baccus, Henderson, Kiltie, Reid

Brophy, Main, Greive, Jamieson

I think....

Alnwick, Urminsky, McCarthy, Millar, Tanser, Flynn, Power and McAllister all out of contract. Only those in bold to be offered new ones? Alnwick is obviously away.

5 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Carson, Lyness

I think....

Alnwick, Urminsky, McCarthy, Millar, Tanser, Flynn, Power and McAllister all out of contract. Only those in bold to be offered new ones? Alnwick is obviously away.

Offord signed a longer deal too.

10 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Carson, Lyness

I think....

I'd definitely say Offord is at least on a par with Jamieson in terms of squad place. He might end up out at a league 1 or championship side for first part of the season given at 17 (now 18) he has proven himself too talented for lowland league level.

7 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I'd definitely say Offord is at least on a par with Jamieson in terms of squad place. He might end up out at a league 1 or championship side for first part of the season given at 17 (now 18) he has proven himself too talented for lowland league level.

The advantage of the development loan being he gets to train with us still, so definite advantages even if he's too good for that level. That said, I reckon he could get a championship level club no bother. Would like to see him kept close by. Partick or even the Ton.

I could spend time absolutely eviscerating Main's record at St Mirren. He has, by all metrics, been an unmitigated failure. For someone bought to score goals he has monumentally failed in that task, and as DJC rightly points out, many of them were completely "empty shirt" performances. He is an extremely one dimensional player.

I should say, I don't blame Main for coming to St Mirren, I don't blame him for not scoring goals, I don't blame him for a double figure count of truly insipid performances, no I blame Goodwin for bringing him here, and Robinson for trying to do exactly what Goodwin failed at. As I alluded to in my previous post, it's just frustrating watching people making the same mistakes.

You could make the argument he is some sort of spoiler up front. I mean sure, but that's what Goodwin brought him in for too and was unable to totally rearrange the way we play specifically to get the best out of him. His best was to reward us with absolutely no goals over 27 league appearances. Yes none, not a single league goal from 27 appearances. Just let that statistic settle for a second, yes, zero, nada, zilch, not a sausage. Not a single solitary return in the league. Even if you wanted to make the case that Main could be a focal point he is incapable of scoring goals. We know this, we all looked at this stats before he joined, we all know he has had one fluke season with Motherwell and that's that, every other season has seen him struggle.

I honestly despair at anyone who cannot see the utter futility of him being in a St Mirren strip. Just because he put in an above average performance yesterday, and I use the term in context to his previous performances - he wasn't good he was just better than his own awful standards from before, doesn't herald a new beginning, it only underlines how fucking dreadful he has been up to this point. His performance, or at least part of it as he faded badly, was an insult, a slight hint at the workrate he can put in when he's bothered, and so the fact he hasn't bothered until now, the 4th last game of the season, is just an insult to fans.

Edited by Ric
spelling, it's a Sunday morning, what do you expect?

I might be alone in this but for me the season isn't over yet, we've still got three winnable matches left and the chance to finish above Livi for the first time since we were promoted - a small step but one that would please me immensely.

14 minutes ago, Ric said:

I could spend time absolutely eviscerating Main's record at St Mirren. He has, by all metrics, been an unmitigated failure. For someone bough to score goals he has monumentally failed in that task, and as DJC rightly points out, many of them were completely "empty shirt" performances. He is an extremely one dimensional player.

I should say, I don't blame Main for coming to St Mirren, I don't blame him for not scoring goals, I don't blame him for a double figure count of truly insipid performances, no I blame Goodwin for bringing him here, and Robinson for trying to do exactly what Goodwin failed at. As I alluded to in my previous post, it's just frustrating watching people making the same mistakes.

You could make the argument he is some sort of spoiler up front. I mean sure, but that's what Goodwin brought him in for too and was unable to totally rearrange the way we play specifically to get the best out of him. His best was to reward us with absolutely no goals over 27 league appearances. Yes none, not a single league goal from 27 appearances. Just let that statistic settle for a second, yes, zero, nada, zilch, not a sausage. Not a single solitary return in the league. Even if you wanted to make the case that Main could be a focal point he is incapable of scoring goals. We know this, we all looked at this stats before he joined, we all know he has had one fluke season with Motherwell and that's that, every other season has seen him struggle.

I honestly despair at anyone who cannot see the utter futility of him being in a St Mirren strip. Just because he put in an above average performance yesterday, and I use the term in context to his previous performances - he wasn't good he was just better than his own awful standards from before, doesn't herald a new beginning, it only underlines how fucking dreadful he has been up to this point. His performance, or at least part of it as he faded badly, was an insult, a slight hint at the workrate he can put in when he's bothered, and so the fact he hasn't bothered until now, the 4th last game of the season, is just an insult to fans.

Goodwin, for the most part, failed to get a tune out of any of the strikers that he signed.

Maybe Robinson can be successful where Goodwin failed, when it comes to Main. Brophy too, if I'm being greedy.

I know it's unlikely, but I live in hope.

Unless another team is going to pick Main up at the end of the season he'll be with us next season. For me, he starts with a clean slate next season.

4 minutes ago, btb said:

I might be alone in this but for me the season isn't over yet, we've still got three winnable matches left and the chance to finish above Livi for the first time since we were promoted - a small step but one that would please me immensely.

Indeed.

It would be great if yesterday's solid, if unspectacular performance allowed the players a confidence boost for the rest of the season.

I think it's possible, but not probable, based on the shitshow of a season that we've had so far.