The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

3 minutes ago, billyg said:

No , absolutely not !

I'm a little confused as I thought they were friends at Motherwell, not that I doubt you, I must have picked up on this wrongly.

That said, it's a small point to my fairly lengthy comment. No problems with being corrected of course, but it doesn't really change the overall message I was conveying.

36 minutes ago, Ric said:

Bottom line? We've locked ourselves into this strategy we just need to play it out, whether that leads us to safety or a playoff.

Sacking Robinson just now would be utterly pointless, not least because his mate will be in another key role at the club. That's not saying Robinson is unsackable, he obviously isn't, but there is no way a change of manager right now would resolve our problem(s), and meanwhile he's already agreeing deals with people to play for us next season. That's aside from the money it would cost us to ship him out now.

If we were without a manager in the Championship we'd jump at someone with the experience of Robinson, and while his results haven't been great I honestly cannot see someone like either Brown or Naismith doing any better.

We all know Goodwin had long spells of utter shite, but made up for it recently by finding a working strategy/formation, and it's telling he's struggled at Aberdeen. Effectively Dave Cormack has fucked over two clubs with his actions. The frustrating thing for me is that Robinson seems to be going through the same process, rather than taking on board what worked before he seems to have gone back to square one. It just seems like a missed opportunity. Same could be said of Main. Goodwin convinced himself he would be a solution, but it was clear to all even before he signed for us, that this wasn't going to be the case. Again, frustration is borne from Robinson starting from scratch rather than learning the lessons that were previously learnt before he arrived. I understand why Robinson thinks he can get a tune out of Main, but he just can't and his one fluke season doesn't suggest otherwise.

All in all, we'll either stay up or get relegated, at this point there is nothing to do but strap ourselves in and hope that the team can manage to grab 4-6 points out of the remaining fixtures and if not see whether other results go against us.

There's a lot of truth in this and I've not been calling for Robinson to go. Not yet at least. I actually think a lot of our fans (certainly on here) have been pretty measured. 

I'm not convinced sacking him would be pointless though, if someone comes in and puts a rocket up the players' backsides, gets us better organised and harder to beat then it's not pointless. There's no guarantee that would happen right enough, but if Robinson loses on Saturday (which is still an if) then that'll be 8 losses out of 9. Would you trust him to keep us up in that form? 

We've forked out a bit of money for him but, ultimately, getting relegated will cost us more. 

We have the whiff of dead fish about us at the moment and it's not gonna be tictacs that saves the season for us now but finding that 110% attitude that we had most of the time under Handsome Jim even when things weren't going our way.

Unfortunately I could not find the 4 defenders on the line from that  game against Rangers in 2007/08. @pozbaird

7 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

I'm not convinced sacking him would be pointless though, if someone comes in and puts a rocket up the players' backsides, gets us better organised and harder to beat then it's not pointless. There's no guarantee that would happen right enough, but if Robinson loses on Saturday (which is still an if) then that'll be 8 losses out of 9. Would you trust him to keep us up in that form?

Considering the candidates that were trotted out when Goodwin went, I'm not really sure there is someone out there who could "put a rocket up the players' backsides, getting us better organised and harder to beat", certainly not in the timeframe of 2 or 3 games. Plus there is the cost involved. It's also just a gamble. I mean every manager is a gamble, so perhaps a 'Captain Obvious' thing to say, but you see the point I'm making.

The game against Hibs wasn't great but for me it wasn't that we were dreadful, barring Main who was as ineffectual as he's always been, we lacked a spark which is common when a team is in transition. Quite why Robinson decided to change what seemed like a working formation (albeit Goodwin's last results looked like we were plateauing, rather than progressing) is beyond me. I get he has his own ideas but that's only really helpful at the start or after a season, not when you are in a tight race for a (artificially created) league split.

24 minutes ago, Ric said:

Considering the candidates that were trotted out when Goodwin went, I'm not really sure there is someone out there who could "put a rocket up the players' backsides, getting us better organised and harder to beat", certainly not in the timeframe of 2 or 3 games. Plus there is the cost involved. It's also just a gamble. I mean every manager is a gamble, so perhaps a 'Captain Obvious' thing to say, but you see the point I'm making.

The game against Hibs wasn't great but for me it wasn't that we were dreadful, barring Main who was as ineffectual as he's always been, we lacked a spark which is common when a team is in transition. Quite why Robinson decided to change what seemed like a working formation (albeit Goodwin's last results looked like we were plateauing, rather than progressing) is beyond me. I get he has his own ideas but that's only really helpful at the start or after a season, not when you are in a tight race for a (artificially created) league split.

Four wins from the last five matches is plateauing? I really hope we plateau in the last four games then, if that's how it's defined. 

5 minutes ago, Mr. Smith said:

Four wins from the last five matches is plateauing? I really hope we plateau in the last four games then, if that's how it's defined. 

For me the impetus gained from switching to that formation had faded.

It's all opinions, of course. You could equally argue Goodwin could have gone on to progress further, we'll never really know.

Some interesting comments from Robinson here. Namely that we’re appointing a Head of Recruitment and have 3 players signed up on pre-contracts already.

https://news.stv.tv/sport/robinson-lasley-appointment-is-one-of-many-positives-at-st-mirren
Who are the 3? O'Hara, Carson and who else? They making the squad better than it is now?

2 hours ago, billyg said:

Robinson is a never-has-been

Robinson has achieved more in the Scottish top flight than any of our previous managers have. If he achieves half of what he did at Motherwell, folk like yourself will be doing cartwheels all the way to Glasgow Airport to board your flight for a European tour. He's going nowhere anytime soon and has already started to build his squad for next season with three signings. Anyone with a modicum of sensibility would realise he's got a below average, depleted squad to work with. Results haven't been acceptable but judge the bloke once he's got the folk he wants in the door and the donkeys out.

17 hours ago, Mr. Smith said:

Just like that, eh?!

It just happened to coincide with Robinson's appointment...but it's nothing more than bad luck

0.375 points per game. That's Robinson's record! It seems to me that you think tolerating failure is somehow noble.

Did you look who the backroom staff was in the dugout  ?  They were all there including Alan McManus so Robinson is trying to pull things together.  Aberdeen are the creators of this mess not Robinson add in players who will no longer be at the club next season have one eye off the ball.  Robinson in my opinion will come good when he builds his own team which has started already with three pre-contracts signed already so Robinson is not going anywhere anytime soon thankfully.  

1 hour ago, btb said:

We have the whiff of dead fish about us at the moment and it's not gonna be tictacs that saves the season for us now but finding that 110% attitude that we had most of the time under Handsome Jim even when things weren't going our way.

Unfortunately I could not find the 4 defenders on the line from that  game against Rangers in 2007/08. @pozbaird

F2DB3308-9C08-4CD3-9A2C-2375369ECDCF.jpeg

Return of Danny Mullen? He's linked with some Prem clubs and has turned down our contract offer. Laddie has some agent if he can get another top flight gig tbf to him. Also linked with United.

4 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Return of Danny Mullen? He's linked with some Prem clubs and has turned down our contract offer. Laddie has some agent if he can get another top flight gig tbf to him. Also linked with United.

Excellent Championship striker, so might not be a bad signing. Never will be and never has been up to it in the top flight though. 

39 minutes ago, Mainstand Sweary Mob said:
On 21/04/2022 at 18:21, ulysses said:
Some interesting comments from Robinson here. Namely that we’re appointing a Head of Recruitment and have 3 players signed up on pre-contracts already.

https://news.stv.tv/sport/robinson-lasley-appointment-is-one-of-many-positives-at-st-mirren

Who are the 3? O'Hara, Carson and who else? They making the squad better than it is now?

Loads of rumours on social media that Steve Davis is the 3rd player. Can't see it myself.

1 minute ago, Lex said:

Excellent Championship striker, so might not be a bad signing. Never will be and never has been up to it in the top flight though. 

Doesn't get enough goals for a team wanting to win the Championship IMO.

3 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Loads of rumours on social media that Steve Davis is the 3rd player. Can't see it myself.

Posted 3 minutes ago, and yet, no comment saying sign him and we’ll be snookered. Disappointing. 😜

Could Carson, O'Hara and Davis turn things around next season?
Carson - a lot older than Alnwick, but probably on par with ability?!
O'Hara - more box to box? Better than as usual playing 2 holding midfielders at the same time, probably better depending who the holding midfielder is.
Davis - good in his prime, but is he not like 36/37 and had injury issues?