The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

I'll be honest, I thought Main had a decent first 45 yesterday. Probably his best in a St. Mirren shirt. 

That his best 45 in a year of football was just 'decent' sums up his time here quite aptly.

The last 30 minutes though was fucking pathetic on his part. He chucked it completely and Grieve actually did the work of a forward pairing on his own as Main was either too burst, not giving enough of a f**k, or a combination of the two to make any sort of meaningful contribution. Apart from what looked like an absolute sitter of a header at the very end.

2 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

Plus, he can only motivate players he has signed himself, so we're looking at 22 out, 22 in this summer. Plus Curtis Main who is staying put.

One of the slightly weirder aspects of all this is that Robinson took over from McGhee midway through the season, outside the window and generally handled it fine.

We had been in freefall, lost 4 on the bounce (conceding 17 (SEVENTEEN) goals), scudded 7-2 by Aberdeen in *that* game at Pittodrie and were 5-1 down at H/T against Dundee at Fir Park when McGhee got his jotters.

His record P 12 W 4 D 2 L 6 (including a draw at Ibrox) - we finished 9th.

Obviously I realise Saints weren't in a tailspin like we were when he took over but it's not like he doesn't have experience of coming in to a club outside a window. Then again, I suppose he was taking over a club he'd spent a few years at and knew pretty much the entire squad.

The other thing that's been interesting from the outside looking in is seeing folk getting raging about his comments in the press as generally PR and handling the press was one of his strong points when he was at Motherwell and tbh a lot of what he's been saying seems to have almost been verbatim the sort of stuff he was saying to the press when he was with us.

Tough crowd.

Edited by capt_oats

18 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

"Guys, I know we usually pay no attention to the muppets on the forums, but they've started using a really big font..."

I'm a muppet because I think 8 losses in 9 games is unacceptable and the 'manager' should go? The big font is to emphasise my absolute despair in keeping Robinson any longer.

1) It's better to get rid of him now, before he does any more damage. What's the point in sacking him after we're in a precarious relegation play-off against a team who've had an very good season and will likely be full of confidence? Why wait until after the St. Johnstone game, a six-pointer, to try to steady the ship?

2) A decent manager should be able to motivate a team. He inherited a winning side and has turned it into a side that can't win. I'm sorry, but I just don't accept that Robinson should be given carte blanche to lose every game, because "he needs his own players." That's absolute nonsense.

ROBINSON OUT!

Edited by Mr. Smith

6 minutes ago, Mr. Smith said:

I'm a muppet because I think 8 losses in 9 games is unacceptable and the 'manager' should go? The big font is to emphasise my absolute despair in keeping Robinson any longer.

1) It's better to get rid of him now, before he does any more damage. What's the point in sacking him after we're in a precarious relegation play-off against a team who've had an very good season and will likely be full of confidence? Why wait until after the St. Johnstone game, a six-pointer, to try to steady the ship?

2) A decent manager should be able to motivate a team. He inherited a winning side and has turned it into a side that can't win. I'm sorry, but I just don't accept that Robinson should be given carte blanche to lose every game, because "he needs his own players." That's absolute nonsense.

ROBINSON OUT!

You're a muppet because you're font is so big your message no longer makes sense.

11 minutes ago, Hendo said:

You're a muppet because you're font is so big your message no longer makes sense.

You think the size of the font changes the meaning of the message, and you think I'm the muppet? It's big and capitalised for emphasis. If someone scrolls through this thread it'll get noticed. As far as I'm concerned, it's not even a matter of debate, IMHO.

When Jim Goodwin left we had amassed 32 points from 25 games.

Under Robinson, we have taken 3 points from 8 games.

When do we cut or losses and declare enough's enough?! If we lose against St. Johnstone, we're in real trouble. They have lost one from their last five games, having taken 8 points.

Get Jamie Langfield in charge and arrest the decline.

Edited by Mr. Smith

16 minutes ago, Mr. Smith said:

ROBINSON OUT!

I wasn't calling you a muppet, nor was I disagreeing with you: I was just taking the piss out the fact you felt using a huge font would make your post more impactful.

1 minute ago, Coventry Saint said:

I wasn't calling you a muppet, nor was I disagreeing with you: I was just taking the piss out the fact you felt using a huge font would make your post more impactful.

Fair enough. Part of me hope some officials read this or BAWA. I mean, we're fan owned, so I like to think they might.

IMHO, we should get rid of him now, get a caretaker in - Langfield, Tony, whoever, someone who the players will respond to - and appoint a new manager in the summer.

Just now, glenburn bud said:

I reckon a point at Perth would suffice, but only if we go with Greive or Brophy. Get Main so far to f**k.

We need to win to close the gap but CD will play his usual ultra defensive, looking for a 0-0, style all the way to penalties in the play off final. If you want Robinson out, we’re increasingly wanting Davidson out. Who will prevail in this battle of who hates their manager the most?

3 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

I reckon a point at Perth would suffice, but only if we go with Greive or Brophy. Get Main so far to f**k.

We're playing the worst five sides in the league, so rightfully we should expect something. Our last game will be at Pittodrie and, despite their poor form, I don't expect to get anything there. 

I was willing to give Robinson a chance, but the very fact he's sticking with Main makes me think he doesn't know what he's doing.

8 minutes ago, andrewh said:

We need to win to close the gap but CD will play his usual ultra defensive, looking for a 0-0, style all the way to penalties in the play off final. If you want Robinson out, we’re increasingly wanting Davidson out. Who will prevail in this battle of who hates their manager the most?

At least yours won you two cups last season and got a draw in Istanbul against Galatasaray. If anyone's worth giving the benefit of the doubt it's Calum Davidson. Ours is a manager we 'poached' from Morecambe, who were then fourth from bottom in their division and has since overseen one win in nine. 

Anyway, most folk on here seem to want to keep Robinson. They're more enraged about the large font I used than Robinson's managerial performance... 🙄

Edited by Mr. Smith

2 minutes ago, andrewh said:

I don’t want Robinson to fail. I’m firmly of the opinion that he’s inherited a squad that was on a decent run of 8 games unbeaten, but they’ve just completely lost all momentum and capitulated in spectacular fashion. 

If we lose to you guys then our seriously intolerant fans will be screaming for him to be sacked. 

Bad news for the Main haters but Brophy went off injured...,again.

When he has previously been injured he has missed several games. If that happens again then it leaves the club with only 2 strikers, Main and Grieve.

I assume we'll hear tomorrow about the injuries to Brophy and Tait and we have to hope they're not serious because we couldn't even fill the bench before yesterdays game (only 7 subs including 2 keepers).

5 minutes ago, Mr. Smith said:

At least yours won you two cups last season and got a draw in Istanbul against Galatasaray. If anyone's worth giving the benefit of the doubt it's Calum Davidson. Ours is a manager we 'poached' from Morecambe, who were then fourth from bottom in their division and has since overseen one win in nine. 

Anyway, most folk on here seem to want to keep Robinson. They're more enraged about the large font I used than Robinson's managerial performance... 🙄

I feel your angst. I share it for my club. It’s infuriating.

4 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

I don’t want Robinson to fail. I’m firmly of the opinion that he’s inherited a squad that was on a decent run of 8 games unbeaten, but they’ve just completely lost all momentum and capitulated in spectacular fashion. 

If we lose to you guys then our seriously intolerant fans will be screaming for him to be sacked. 

This week will pass slowly but our respective fates will be closer in no time next Saturday. I’m not convinced we’re any better than your lot.