The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

7 minutes ago, FTOF said:

For the majority of the season we've been shite.

Given that our previous manager took until January the 18th to realise that three at the back "wasn't working" he must shoulder the majority of the blame for our current position.

I had a look back at our fixtures from August to December and the results were dreadful. In many of the games we were completely outplayed, but spawned a goal out of nowhere.

For a short spell after the break, our defence became much tighter, but unfortunately our creativity remained lacking. The results in this run, often fortuitous, masked the fact that we were still pretty shite. If it wasn't for Connor Ronan we'd probably be sitting level with St.Johnstone at present.

Robinson, to date, has been awful too. Although he does have some mitigating factors in that, bar the odd player, he's been left with a dreadfully unbalanced squad and he's had to cope with players that are clearly not good enough being told their futures lie elsewhere, despite being offered contracts by the previous incumbent.

I had hoped that Robinson would provide a degree of stability as we limped to the end of the season. Unfortunately, my optimism has been misplaced so far.

Thankfully, out with the top three, every other team is almost as shite as we are. Even luckier are the poor managerial appointments by our bottom six rivals. Although, unless Robinson gets his act together, even they'll end up beating us.

Agreed 100%. 

Folk forget we were pretty horrible under Goodwin this season too. The good run of form that earned him his job offer has masked that, especially as 2 of the wins were against lower league teams. We had a horrible habit of conceding 2 goals within minutes, it happened several times this season. That being said had he said, I believe he would have picked up enough points required to finish top 6, all hypothetical now obviously.

I thought the same of Robinson too.

Hopefully the free weekend has given the players and manager enough time to clear their heads. Hopefully Hibs have chucked it now, a win eases the tension. If we lose and the Perth mob win, fck it will be pampers time in Paisley.

46 minutes ago, FTOF said:

For the majority of the season we've been shite.

Given that our previous manager took until January the 18th to realise that three at the back "wasn't working" he must shoulder the majority of the blame for our current position.

I had a look back at our fixtures from August to December and the results were dreadful. In many of the games we were completely outplayed, but spawned a goal out of nowhere.

For a short spell after the break, our defence became much tighter, but unfortunately our creativity remained lacking. The results in this run, often fortuitous, masked the fact that we were still pretty shite. If it wasn't for Connor Ronan we'd probably be sitting level with St.Johnstone at present.

Robinson, to date, has been awful too. Although he does have some mitigating factors in that, bar the odd player, he's been left with a dreadfully unbalanced squad and he's had to cope with players that are clearly not good enough being told their futures lie elsewhere, despite being offered contracts by the previous incumbent.

I had hoped that Robinson would provide a degree of stability as we limped to the end of the season. Unfortunately, my optimism has been misplaced so far.

Thankfully, out with the top three, every other team is almost as shite as we are. Even luckier are the poor managerial appointments by our bottom six rivals. Although, unless Robinson gets his act together, even they'll end up beating us.

At last someone saying and seeing what I have been saying for a LONG TIME well done.

40 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Hopefully the free weekend has given the players and manager enough time to clear their heads. Hopefully Hibs have chucked it now, a win eases the tension. If we lose and the Perth mob win, fck it will be pampers time in Paisley.

Those playoffs were one of the least enjoyable football experiences of my life. I would hate to be involved with those again. As people have pointed out, if we did end up in them, it'll be off the back of a truly atrocious run of form and it'd be very hard to fancy our chances.

@elvis I'd like to politely point out the difference between @FTOF pulling together a balanced, well-reasoned post, and someone just making 'we're doomed' their default position and claiming they were correct when it all goes wrong.

As FTOF & Sergie have said we're 10th because we've been mediocre for the bulk of the season. What will hopefully work in our favour is the fact that we're clearly in the Fakes sights so there is absolutely no room for complacency.

Spoiler

I have the fear....:bag

32 minutes ago, elvis said:

At last someone saying and seeing what I have been saying for a LONG TIME well done.

You've not been saying this though. Nothing like it.

FTOF said, quite correctly, that outwith the top 3 there is not a lot separating the shiteness of the other 9, ourselves included.

You on the other hand have us comfortably as the worst team in every league we ever play in.

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

Those playoffs were one of the least enjoyable football experiences of my life. I would hate to be involved with those again. As people have pointed out, if we did end up in them, it'll be off the back of a truly atrocious run of form and it'd be very hard to fancy our chances.

@elvis I'd like to politely point out the difference between @FTOF pulling together a balanced, well-reasoned post, and someone just making 'we're doomed' their default position and claiming they were correct when it all goes wrong.

For fucksake you just can't admit I've been right all along .

50 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

You've not been saying this though. Nothing like it.

FTOF said, quite correctly, that outwith the top 3 there is not a lot separating the shiteness of the other 9, ourselves included.

You on the other hand have us comfortably as the worst team in every league we ever play in.

Fucking hell what an utter bag of shite.

Edited by elvis

The good spell after Christmas saved our season and conned Aberdeen into going for Goodwin. We were utter dross prior to this. I hope we can stay in the top division and really see if Robinson has it in him after he has his own team playing. 

1 hour ago, elvis said:

I'd appreciate it that you don't ever again associate my views with your monotonous, endless, whining, negative pish.

As others have already pointed out, they're significantly different.

23 minutes ago, FTOF said:

I'd appreciate it that you don't ever again associate my views with your monotonous, endless, whining, negative pish.

As others have already pointed out, they're significantly different.

There no where near different just  took you longer to admit it .

49 minutes ago, elvis said:

There no where near different just  took you longer to admit it .

Nope.

My posts are entirely different from your negative, whining pish.

Any posts that I make that involve criticism are generally measured and reasonable. I also give credit where it's due, which you never do. In fact when we win a game, you disappear quicker than Priti Patel getting rid of asylum seekers/refugees from the UK.

Edited by FTOF

5 hours ago, elvis said:

Fucking hell what an utter bag of shite.

Care to quantify that? 

Go find something that you've posted that is optimistic or rational with regards to St. Mirren.

In response, I can easily pull several examples of you predicting long winless streaks, half time leads on the vege of being blown, runs that will take us to the bottom of the league, expressions of glee when we concede as it has proven you correct and instances of you disappearing when your predictions don't come to pass.

You can try and call it out as shite all you like but you can't pull the wool over our eyes. Any expressions of concern or angst totally pale in comparison to the years and years of the stuff you've spouted on here.

55 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Care to quantify that? 

Go find something that you've posted that is optimistic or rational with regards to St. Mirren.

In response, I can easily pull several examples of you predicting long winless streaks, half time leads on the vege of being blown, runs that will take us to the bottom of the league, expressions of glee when we concede as it has proven you correct and instances of you disappearing when your predictions don't come to pass.

You can try and call it out as shite all you like but you can't pull the wool over our eyes. Any expressions of concern or angst totally pale in comparison to the years and years of the stuff you've spouted on here.

f**k me I give up can't be arsed with all you happy clappers .

Seen Offord got another double (inc a last minute winner) at the weekend for East Stirling, quite an important goal by all accounts too.

Will be good to see if he can make the step up next season along with Jamieson and Reid. Not sure how either of them are getting on at their loan clubs.

Any other youngsters kicking about in the academy that we have high hopes for?

22 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Thought so. 

You can't back up a word of what you say. Off you toddle.

Are you fucking serious .I don't need to back up anything anyone with an ounce of a brain can see we are and have been for a long time absolute dross I don't know what the hell you have been watching but it isn't the. same as me .

1 hour ago, elvis said:

Are you fucking serious .I don't need to back up anything anyone with an ounce of a brain can see we are and have been for a long time absolute dross I don't know what the hell you have been watching but it isn't the. same as me .

I'm less bothered than most by your Eeyore posts as I reckon they offer you some sort of catharsis, supporting a diddy club we probably all need that sometimes, but there is a difference between your posts and other guys who try to put a balanced spin on it at times.

Sad Winnie The Pooh GIF

Edited by btb

1 hour ago, elvis said:

You seem to have worked yourself into a bit of a shoot here Elvis.

The point that was originally being made is that there is not much between how shite the bottom nine in the league currently are. You've reverted to type as usual though and made it a sad wee hand-wringing post about how we've got it so fucking bad and we're all happy clappers for understanding that it's not as bad as you make it out to be because - newsflash -several other teams are also around the same relative ability as we are.

The sheer fact that with 5 games to go, there are 5 points between 7 teams and you've barely managed to get a sheet of paper between them all season should be proof enough of this. The league table doesn't lie.

The fact that FTOF made a point earlier with a bit of nuance and constructiveness and you rounded on it saying 'Finally! That's EXACTLY what I've been saying for years' is exceptional in both it's lack of accuracy and it's delusion on your part.

1 hour ago, geo87 said:

Seen Offord got another double (inc a last minute winner) at the weekend for East Stirling, quite an important goal by all accounts too.

Will be good to see if he can make the step up next season along with Jamieson and Reid. Not sure how either of them are getting on at their loan clubs.

Any other youngsters kicking about in the academy that we have high hopes for?

Reid has been back at us for several weeks now. Robinson cut it short.

Jamieson is doing well at Clyde apparently.