The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

I think this stems from him being spotted at your training facility last week. Aren't his kids involved in your youth setup? Regardless, he was Robbo's number 2 and they got on very well, nothing up with sticking his head round the corner or going for a coffee. Of course just before the clubs meet will fuel the conspiracy theorists even if he lives locally to you.

In the past 15 months under Alexander he's moved gradually down in terms of direct involvement. From being an assistant to caretaker manager to now standing with the stats guys at the back of the stand watching the shape from on high and software readouts and relaying back to our #2 via a mic and earpiece.

From what I understand he's well thought of by Alexander and not considered an unwanted relic of the previous setup. They go to scout players together so certainly put on a united front.

It was presumed he was attaining his badges and experience to eventually take the reigns, someone mentioned that he's also done sports management stuff since hanging up his boots too.

If and when Alexander goes he would definitely be in the mix for being a replacement. However management has less job security than an executive role and also more chance of moving about the country to fulfill the next role.

I don't know if there's anything in it.

4 hours ago, glenburn bud said:

Rumour doing the rounds currently is Keith Lasley.

Really good guy , I know him as he's the friend of a friend. Saints fan as a boy , still lives locally !

I heard the Lasley for CEO rumour at the game on Saturday. If he’s interested it would appear to be a sensible move. Robinson must rate him highly and maybe Lasley would have a word in his ear about how his post-match reactions are not helpful in any way.

That would be a quite an odd appointment in my view. The CEO runs the day to day operations of the club and the manager reports to him, he would become Robinson's boss effectively. Keith obviously has experience on the pitch and in the dugout and he'd be a good addition to the coaching staff. What relevant experience does he have of running a business? I'd rather we went for a Brian Caldwell type figure from outside football.

I’d be surprised if any manager had a role in selecting a COO. In this case the Chairman has said our next COO will be less involved in the football side of the club and will be focusing on “developing the club’s infrastructure (fixing generators?) and seeking to attract more sponsorship opportunities”.  Not sure what experience Keith Lasley has outside football. 

1 minute ago, Doonhame Buddie said:

I’d be surprised if any manager had a role in selecting a COO. In this case the Chairman has said our next COO will be less involved in the football side of the club and will be focusing on “developing the club’s infrastructure (fixing generators?) and seeking to attract more sponsorship opportunities”.  Not sure what experience Keith Lasley has outside football. 

Yeah, I think a few people are getting confused between CEO and Director of Football roles. It’s pretty clear from the chairman’s comments that they are looking for someone to be less involved in the football/contract/scouting side and more involved in driving the commercial aspects.

Not saying that couldn’t be Lasley, and I wouldn’t be shocked to see a name we know from within football.

7 minutes ago, Doonhame Buddie said:

He's a qualified spark. So there's that.

We are not looking for a CEO nor a Director of Football but a Chief Operating Officer. Besides playing experience Lasley has been studying for a Sports Management Degree which makes him better qualified than Tony although this post is not a direct replacement for Tony as it has a different remit.

1 minute ago, Coventry Saint said:

Would he do a job in the Championship?

Tbh, we never really got to see much (any) of him.

He had only really been around the fringes of the first team and by the time Robinson got around to giving him some game time in pre-season Norwich had expressed interest and he'd told us he wouldn't be signing a new deal when his current one expired so we cashed in and off he went.

I always liked the look of him and he seemed like he had something about him so it's annoying he never got a shot in the first team beyond a couple of friendlies.

@RiG will be able to tell you more than I can but he seems to have been doing alright for The Caley.