The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

You'll be fine, you just need like 3/4pts to be guaranteed safety.

I'll enjoy the meltdowns on the way, especially after he starts Curtis Main up front alone against Rangers.

The sad thing is you are probably right about Main

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

I'll enjoy the meltdowns on the way, especially after he starts Curtis Main up front alone against Rangers.

Assuming we both lose to the cheeks next week, do you reckon they'll have us against each other first game post split?

7 minutes ago, btb said:

Assuming we both lose to the cheeks next week, do you reckon they'll have us against each other first game post split?

Not a clue, not even sure what stadium it would be at. I think McDiarmid but cant be arsed working out every option for every potential bottom half.

31 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I know you're the stats man so none of this will be news to you but the last 6 games we've taken 3 points. St Johnstone have taken 10. 

On that trajectory we finish 11th. It's absolutely feasible that St Johnstone will catch us. 

22 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Probably, and I expect to have us vs Dundee as the last game. 

Think both would be home games for us.

That gives me the fear, last time I saw us win at McDiarmid was 2005 I think. Always seem to lose 1-0 when I'm there.

Even remember a game there maybe 12 or so years ago when we were 2-0 up, Billy Mehmet was brought down for a blatant penalty which wasn't given and we ended up drawing 2-2 to a late penalty after one of our players handled on the line.

Scottish Labour have a better record in Perth than us.

I’m still upbeat about all this. I’m pretty confident we will have enough about us to sneak past Arbroath over two legs in the playoffs.  
After that Robinson will have the summer to bring in his own players and offload some who don’t want to be here. 
Top 6 next season without a doubt. 

Said it a while back but this has real Terry Butcher hibs vibes about it, players body language yesterday makes me think we will be lucky to pick up any more points.

Telling players they are not wanted when we weren’t even safe is piss poor management.

Just now, McG said:

Said it a while back but this has real Terry Butcher hibs vibes about it, players body language yesterday makes me think we will be lucky to pick up any more points.

Telling players they are not wanted when we weren’t even safe is piss poor management.

Everyone highlights the Terry Butcher season including on our forum without really realising that was hugely the exception to the rule.

I really enjoyed Killie’s visits to Paisley , I hope that should we come back up that Saints are still there.

My biggest concern is the number of ex Killie players in their squad that were donning the blue stripes this time last season when Tommy Wright started telling some that they wouldn’t be there next season. They don’t hold good cv’s for rolling up their sleeves and scrapping to save their current employers status in the top league. 
That said I do think whatever PL team in the play offs will be good enough, unless ICT pip Arbroath to the final. 

27 minutes ago, Yorky said:

Everyone highlights the Terry Butcher season including on our forum without really realising that was hugely the exception to the rule.

Hopefully we're a bit more aware of the possibility of finishing 11th than Hibs were that season, just checked (and my memory did serve me correctly) & I reckon Hibs/Butcher probably never considered the possibilty of finishing 11th until game 37.

Round 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38
Ground H A H A H A H A A H H A H A H A H A H H A A H H H A H H A A A A A A H H A H
Result L L D W D W W L W D L L L D D L D W W W D L L L W D L D D L L L L L L D L L
Position 10 9 9 8 8 7 5 5 5 5 6 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 6 6 6 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 8 8 9 11

While I agree it's unlikely to happen to us we're in the Fake's headlights now, the post split H2H will be vital.

Edited by btb

4 hours ago, Jack_Jarvis said:

I really enjoyed Killie’s visits to Paisley , I hope that should we come back up that Saints are still there.

My biggest concern is the number of ex Killie players in their squad that were donning the blue stripes this time last season when Tommy Wright started telling some that they wouldn’t be there next season. They don’t hold good cv’s for rolling up their sleeves and scrapping to save their current employers status in the top league. 
That said I do think whatever PL team in the play offs will be good enough, unless ICT pip Arbroath to the final. 

Again even finishing 11th the odds are still stacked in favour of the Premiership team because of the step up in standards. For every Hamilton and Livy there are three or four premiership teams that stayed up.

10 minutes ago, Yorky said:

Again even finishing 11th the odds are still stacked in favour of the Premiership team because of the step up in standards. For every Hamilton and Livy there are three or four premiership teams that stayed up.

If we finish 11th it'll be because we've been on an absolutely horrible run of form for months. When we beat Dundee Utd we were off the back of a few decent results. 

1 hour ago, houston_bud said:

If we finish 11th it'll be because we've been on an absolutely horrible run of form for months. When we beat Dundee Utd we were off the back of a few decent results. 

Maybe but most teams finishing 11th are not going to be on a good run of form yet they generally win the play offs. Motherwell were not world beaters but we absolutely smashed Rangers over two legs in the plays offs.

4 minutes ago, Yorky said:

Maybe but most teams finishing 11th are not going to be on a good run of form yet they generally win the play offs. 

Its currently 4-3 in terms of Premiership v Championship in the play offs. I'm not sure why you're pretending the Premiership dominates the play offs tbh.

The stuff about players having their heads turned and guys being told they can go is weird. Only two of the starters yesterday (not including the loan players) are out of contract - Power, who has been playing regularly, and McCarthy, who Robinson brought in for that game. Have players under contract had their heads turned? Dunne has been linked with a move away, which may explain why he was benched. Or have players under contract been told they are not wanted, which is utterly insane at this point in time.

If half the team was out of contract it would make more sense but it doesn't really stack up for me. Sounds like clutching at straws for why we're shite.

Edited by Stu

Robinson hasn't done himself any favours, in situations that he can't control (such as sendings off) he has come across as a bit of a dick, unaware of what happened at this club for the first part of this season. In situations he can control he's made bad decisions. Did Goodwin equally make a mess of things? Oh, hell.. sure, we know that. Is Robinson a better option than either of the OF sops? Of course he is. Has the swap over of managers happen at the worse time and clearly dented out momentum, again, of course it has. Would we have stumbled at this point under Goodwin? There is every possibility. Will Robinson be able to bring together a team, that is clearly lacking something, to the extent to which Goodwin was capable of? That, is probably the most important question we can ask.

I'll be honest, even though I could have watched that whole game, I never bothered. It isn't that I dislike St Mirren now, just that there are millions of other things far more important than football going on. I honestly, at this point, just don't care for our fate. I'd like to think that we won't get embroiled with the relegation battle but if we do? Meh. I'd like to think we are a far a better than any team we could meet in the playoffs, but again, if we're not? Meh.

I might care come the start of next season, but I doubt it.

15 hours ago, Stu said:

The stuff about players having their heads turned and guys being told they can go is weird. Only two of the starters yesterday (not including the loan players) are out of contract - Power, who has been playing regularly, and McCarthy, who Robinson brought in for that game. Have players under contract had their heads turned? Dunne has been linked with a move away, which may explain why he was benched. Or have players under contract been told they are not wanted, which is utterly insane at this point in time.

If half the team was out of contract it would make more sense but it doesn't really stack up for me. Sounds like clutching at straws for why we're shite.

Yeah the implication he's making is that he's told players who are under contract that they will be free to leave and find other clubs in the summer because they're not part of his plans. It's now these players we are relying on to make sure we get the four/five points required from the post split games to keep us out the playoffs. Our remaining fixtures will probably be something like:

St J (a)

Dundee (h)

Aberdeen (a)

County (h)

Livi (h)

Does anyone who's seen the team since Robinson took over fancy us getting five points from that? 

39 minutes ago, ropy said:

Is the change in fortune due to the new manager or the situation created by the old manager?

I'd say a bit of both. The manager leaving totally disrupted us at a crucial time of the season. Not much we could do about it. 

The new manager hasn't had the best of luck, but has changed tactics to make us more attacking. We are that but we're now a bombscare at the back. Under Goodwin we'd have seen out the Dundee United game and stolen a point, indeed we might have scraped top 6.

Wouldn't surprise me if we fail to win for the rest of the season and scrape over the line on draws.