The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

1 hour ago, houston_bud said:

Robinson's comments are by far the most concerning thing for me. We'll always have sticky spells but how the manager carries himself during that is important. I'd much rather he was backing his players when speaking to the media, feels a bit like he's looking for excuses and too often throwing the players under a bus. 

Agreed. We have gone from "this is a good squad, we just need to keep doing what we're doing" to "players heads have been turned, we just need to get to the end of the season so I can get my own players in" in little over a month. 

Even an incompetent manager (and i don't believe Robinson is) needed to do not very much to keep us on track for top 6 with the squad we have. I think he has tried to "put his stamp" on the team, but in doing so has told some players to leave yet will still expect them to put a shift in when they know they are not in long term plans - a sure way to demotivate.

Only consolation is we still have a cushion on St J and even if the worst comes to the worst, this seasons championship play off contenders look especially shit.

1 minute ago, Hendo said:

Agreed. We have gone from "this is a good squad, we just need to keep doing what we're doing" to "players heads have been turned, we just need to get to the end of the season so I can get my own players in" in little over a month. 

Even an incompetent manager (and i don't believe Robinson is) needed to do not very much to keep us on track for top 6 with the squad we have. I think he has tried to "put his stamp" on the team, but in doing so has told some players to leave yet will still expect them to put a shift in when they know they are not in long term plans - a sure way to demotivate.

Only consolation is we still have a cushion on St J and even if the worst comes to the worst, this seasons championship play off contenders look especially shit.

Yeah, I've gone from desperately wanting Arbroath to win that league to being quite pleased Killie aren't going to be in the playoffs.

I can’t get my head around why he thinks it was a good idea to tell players they were not getting a new deal, when we had so much left to play for. He then went public with that info and proceeds to throw them under the bus, when they’re not playing for him.

29 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Yeah, I've gone from desperately wanting Arbroath to win that league to being quite pleased Killie aren't going to be in the playoffs.

To be fair, Killie look poor as well, but in a two legged play off there's always a risk Lafferty plays a couple of stormers.

29 minutes ago, gordon.kennedy said:

SMISA agreed to pay for him. No doubt it will be Tonys fault if we get relegated.

SMISA can do that without a vote from its members  ? Would be surprised at that.  The league is so tight don't remember the top flight being so close with so many teams.  Fans are looking over their shoulders now 6 points in front of the Fakes.look up and we are three points off  5th. We can write off next Sunday but so can the Fakes they are at Parkhead. So bottom 6 we will be in. I'm not overly worried it's all about who leaves and who comes in during the summer. Next season I will judge Robinson.  Personally I'm glad we are not in no man land makes for a meaningful end to the season. Fakes are not as bad as their league position shows. Second bottom could be Fakes, St Mirren , Ross County,  Livingston,  Aberdeen. Interesting stuff. Goodwin does not look his happy go lucky self in interviews time will tell if it was the right move. Jak is not going to Aberdeen I also think Roman will want to prove himself at Wolves.  Looking forward to the run in with meaningful games. 

48 minutes ago, gordon.kennedy said:

SMISA agreed to pay for him. No doubt it will be Tonys fault if we get relegated.

Fan owned but not fan run is the mantra used.

Tony Fitzpatrick put forward Robinson as ideal candidate and Jim Gillespie (Kibble) sealed the deal on behalf of the board.

The way I see this is that the players are definitely going to need to get us out of this but I question the wisdom of telling some they’re not needed. How can you possibly even consider this when your chasing a top six spot. It’s absolutely terrible timing. The worry now is that we have players who have downed tools and I’m now genuinely fearing we end up in the playoffs. This has the whiff of Terry Butcher at Hibernian . Really surprised at how the manager has played this since he came in because it’s been very poor and what was a club sitting sixth and in tremendous form upon his arrival now looks totally rudderlesss

10 hours ago, glenburn bud said:

I can’t get my head around why he thinks it was a good idea to tell players they were not getting a new deal, when we had so much left to play for. He then went public with that info and proceeds to throw them under the bus, when they’re not playing for him.

One of your other posters mentioned Terry Butcher at Hibs <spits>.

What you have mentioned above is 100% what that diddie tried too.

Told the players they were not good enough, some they were not getting a new deal, then asked them to lay everything on the line for him 🤣

I can't think of many jobs where you get told, "oh, it doesn't matter just how badly you do on your first 3-4 months" we'll judge you after.

His personal behavior and decision making shouldnt magically change in quality just because he gets a few players of his own in. His ability to work with what he has, and get a tune out of this team should reflect his talent as a manager.

Our team wasn't going to be a top 4 side, and the first half of the season was rough with so many near wins. We did however reach a turning point when we changed formation. We were also in with a shout of reaching top 6.

Robinson and the players have no one to blame for that but themselves. With the league being so tight, it completely falls on our abysmal form that we lost that chance. No other teams have gone on a mad run of wins to put us out of sight.

Calling for his head when we've spent good money on him right now is silly, and I can't see many better alternatives on paper that are available right now. I do think people have the right to be directing their frustrations at the guy, especially with the absolute drivel that comes out his mouth every interview.

See, people saying we should be patient... When we have a manager that comes in and 'gets it', we are patient. Rival fans couldn't understand why we weren't getting angrier at Jack Ross or Oran Kearney, who both inherited significantly worse squads in much worse positions that Robinson has done, but we could see an improvement in attitude and application from the players. In both cases they were given time, despite the popular narrative from the media that they were under pressure. They said the right things, their interviews were good, and while it took a while for results to come, and in both cases went right down the the wire, the fans' patience paid off.

This is the total opposite. There is no sign that attitude has improved, and Robinson has been talking an absolute tonne of shite since his very early interviews. He's not been wrong about everything - some of our squad aren't good enough - but I'm very concerned based on the early signs.

It's hard to quantify a 'feeling', but this is why folk are comparing him to Stubbs. It's just a vibe. I really, really hope I'm wrong.

8 hours ago, gordon.kennedy said:

Tony identified him, he said so himself.  To bring SMISA into is just nonsensical as it was the board that agreed to pay for him.

As many have said, our form has been so up and down all season. People are perhaps a bit more misty eyed about Goody given we were on a great run of form, but it wouldn’t have been the case in December.

The biggest concern for me is amount of goals we are conceding and the way we are conceding them. He’s trying to be far too open when we just need to grind some performances out and get us over the line. I’m also concerned by what he’s saying in the press - we all want a manager that’s open and honest but he’s going a bit too far.

Steve "Robbo" Robinson now 6 wins in his last 36 domestic games in Scotland. Following on from a combined win rate of 23% at Oldham and Morecambe.

Hopefully United finish bottom six and can return the favour from 2001.

1 hour ago, Leith Green said:

One of your other posters mentioned Terry Butcher at Hibs <spits>.

What you have mentioned above is 100% what that diddie tried too.

Told the players they were not good enough, some they were not getting a new deal, then asked them to lay everything on the line for him 🤣

Which is the important part - we're not better than the teams around now above us in terms of skill but if we no longer have the 110% attitude we had under JG then we're in trouble.

Our best hope is that Dundee are still rotten and 3 of the other teams will have nothing to play for post-split.

You'll be fine, you just need like 3/4pts to be guaranteed safety.

I'll enjoy the meltdowns on the way, especially after he starts Curtis Main up front alone against Rangers.