The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

1 hour ago, ZingaliMan said:

Any Buds not living locally Renfrewshire Live is a great app to keep up with Saints news. 

April fool?  1st story in the “St Mirren FC” section is about 2 players leaving Aberdeen, 2nd story is about Motherwell manager coping with pressure, 3rd story is tagged “Lanarkshire Football” (spoiler alert it’s about the Motherwell manager again), 4 story is about Jak Alnwick snubbing Aberdeen and is tagged “Aberdeen FC”. 

42 minutes ago, Doonhame Buddie said:

April fool?  1st story in the “St Mirren FC” section is about 2 players leaving Aberdeen, 2nd story is about Motherwell manager coping with pressure, 3rd story is tagged “Lanarkshire Football” (spoiler alert it’s about the Motherwell manager again), 4 story is about Jak Alnwick snubbing Aberdeen and is tagged “Aberdeen FC”. 

I personally find it good not living in Paisley.  Not found anything not true for the months I have followed it. 

I felt at the time the wind had been knocked out the sails when Goodwin left, it seems the players feel that way too.

Easy to blame Robinson but f**k sake, we weren't even doing the basics right today.

Didn't see much leadership on the pitch. Too many players off form/hiding/sulking.

StJohnstone will be rubbing their hands at the state of us and Aberdeen right now. 

22 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

StJohnstone will be rubbing their hands at the state of us and Aberdeen right now. 

I think, at best, we can get 9pts in the remaining games. Depends who finishes bottom half and how arsed they are, but we're still fairly shit.

Still a huge amount to do unless we somehow get 3pts next week.

1 hour ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

I felt at the time the wind had been knocked out the sails when Goodwin left, it seems the players feel that way too.

Easy to blame Robinson but f**k sake, we weren't even doing the basics right today.

Didn't see much leadership on the pitch. Too many players off form/hiding/sulking.

However, Robinson is the guy who should be making us hard to break down - some of the goals we lost both today and in the cup game v Hearts were schoolboy defending and would never have happened under Goodwin.

Morecambe fans had the same criticism of Robinson - quite attacking but an open style of play that leaves his teams at high risk of being caught short at the back and losing goals on the counter. All four goals today weren't really individual errors (though Lyness should have saved the first) but were down to lack of organisation and defensive shape.

The board must be thinking what the hell have we done.

If GLS was in charge this guys might not have made the split. 😕

I can only hope he is getting clear feedback from the board as his performance since he took over has been appalling, not just the results but his communication, lack of leadership, organisation, accountability and self awareness have all been well below the required levels.

7 minutes ago, Hendo said:

However, Robinson is the guy who should be making us hard to break down - some of the goals we lost both today and in the cup game v Hearts were schoolboy defending and would never have happened under Goodwin.

Morecambe fans had the same criticism of Robinson - quite attacking but an open style of play that leaves his teams at high risk of being caught short at the back and losing goals on the counter. All four goals today weren't really individual errors (though Lyness should have saved the first) but were down to lack of organisation and defensive shape.

That sort of defending did happen under Goodwin too.  Fair enough i think we'd have probably drew our way into the top 6 under him, we definitely wouldn't have lost against County, United and Motherwell with Jim in charge but we need to get over it, its all hypothetical and we'll drive ourselves mad thinking about it.

I think the players need to take their fair share of the blame. I am totally in love with the guy but Shaughnessy had an absolute stinker, we didn't have any sort of leadership on the park today apart from Power trying to get sent off at the end. Maybe not individual errors but Fraser, McCarthy and Shaughnessy played like they had never met each other and we definitely miss Tanser on the left.

Priority in the summer is filling Alnwicks gloves. Lyness has done well for us but i don't have the same confidence in him as some of our fans do to perform for 40+games.

7 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

That sort of defending did happen under Goodwin too.  Fair enough i think we'd have probably drew our way into the top 6 under him, we definitely wouldn't have lost against County, United and Motherwell with Jim in charge but we need to get over it, its all hypothetical and we'll drive ourselves mad thinking about it.

I think the players need to take their fair share of the blame. I am totally in love with the guy but Shaughnessy had an absolute stinker, we didn't have any sort of leadership on the park today apart from Power trying to get sent off at the end. Maybe not individual errors but Fraser, McCarthy and Shaughnessy played like they had never met each other and we definitely miss Tanser on the left.

Priority in the summer is filling Alnwicks gloves. Lyness has done well for us but i don't have the same confidence in him as some of our fans do to perform for 40+games.

Even in the run of 11 winless games before Christmas, when we were playing a formation that clearly didn't work, we still drew 6 of them. The football might not have been pretty but we at least looked organised at the back. It's the same players, only change is the manager - though agree they are all experienced players who should have done much better today, regardless of the fact there clearly has been zero work done in training on defensive structure.

As for Lyness, he has performed well at times when coming into the side, but I think today showed why he has been a lower league journeyman who often has struggled to be first choice at all his clubs. Definitely need a new goalie of the calibre of a Hladky or Alnwick.

12 minutes ago, Hendo said:

Even in the run of 11 winless games before Christmas, when we were playing a formation that clearly didn't work, we still drew 6 of them. The football might not have been pretty but we at least looked organised at the back. It's the same players, only change is the manager - though agree they are all experienced players who should have done much better today, regardless of the fact there clearly has been zero work done in training on defensive structure.

As for Lyness, he has performed well at times when coming into the side, but I think today showed why he has been a lower league journeyman who often has struggled to be first choice at all his clubs. Definitely need a new goalie of the calibre of a Hladky or Alnwick.

I'd been one of the guys saying 'let's give Lyness a go'.

Yeah, let's not.

22 minutes ago, Buddiesaint said:

Robinson might end up being a good appointment in the long term, im sure we'll see, but short term he's been nothing short of a disaster. To think we paid another club money for him.

£350k as well. Bizarre decision.

Robinson's comments are by far the most concerning thing for me. We'll always have sticky spells but how the manager carries himself during that is important. I'd much rather he was backing his players when speaking to the media, feels a bit like he's looking for excuses and too often throwing the players under a bus. 

14 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

Robinson's comments are by far the most concerning thing for me. We'll always have sticky spells but how the manager carries himself during that is important. I'd much rather he was backing his players when speaking to the media, feels a bit like he's looking for excuses and too often throwing the players under a bus. 

That as well. With so many games left. 

That strategy didn't end too well for Terry Butcher and John Hughes