The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

13 minutes ago, SS77 said:

Greive signed an 18 month deal.

Yeah but Goodwin said at the Q&A they were hoping to get him tied down longer. I wondered if the bit about players thinking they were getting new contracts referred to him

6 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

I like the sound of what Robinson is saying.

It's utterly baffling that we have playued the full season with a thread bare bench full of shite, whislt having guys like Jamieson, Reid etc out on loan.

Is Shaughnessy out of contract?

I think Fraser may be away, based in recent line ups.

Shaughnessy and Fraser both signed two year deals last summer.

As for the youngsters stuff, I'll believe it when I see it. Heard it from pretty much every manager over the years.

9 minutes ago, Stu said:

As for the youngsters stuff, I'll believe it when I see it. Heard it from pretty much every manager over the years.

You only ever hear it from managers under pressure

Quite impressed with Robinson honesty a large overhaul will be done for next season at least it's being done early.  So what of the rest of this season I'm sure our players will be professional doing the best they can.  Robinson  wants players who can adapt to his system I'm confident he will succeed by getting in the right players. My dream is McGinn moving to Man U boosting our coffers.  

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Which is ironic because it's the managers under pressure who are least likely to use the young players, and thus the cycle continues. TBH, as we limp into 'season over' territory, it'd be nice to give some of the younger guys a game, but they're all on loan in the seaside leagues.

Edited by Coventry Saint

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

All managers live with being under constant pressure, it goes with the job. It’s a fundamental requirement of any manager at our club to help bring through youngsters.

They will be given the opportunity. 

4 hours ago, AW saint said:

Tait will be pleased he signed his contract early then

Shouldn't necessarily mean he needs to be kept on but working with Robinson previously will work in his favour I would imagine. I’d punt Tait at the end of the season. Unfortunately, as@Shuggie_Murray7 said, Tait’s run in the team and Fraser punted to the bench could end with the latter leaving in the summer. I’d make every effort to keep McCarthy at the club but would imagine he will be leaving - it would be mad if he was one of those Robinson has taken a contract away from. I think Erhahon won’t be shy in pushing for a move given his lack of game time. 

I think Tanser and Power might be  the "thought they were getting another contract" guys. Maybe McCarthy as well, though considering he is getting kept out the team by Dunne, maybe not.

Millar, Flynn and McAllister will definitely be off, as will Alnwick for a different reason.

6 hours ago, Stu said:

It's very standard Robinson patter tbf.

He ended up getting a bunch of our Young Motherwell into the side, made us a lot of money and deserves a ton of credit for that (despite the folk who are still raging he got the job and think he should have been playing Turnbull a year before he actually did).

He obviously did well with Campbell, Turnbull and Scott. There's an argument that Cadden regressed a bit under him while Barry Maguire's improved more under Alexander than he ever did playing for Robinson.

What was interesting about Robinson's approach to squad building with us was that he'd regularly talk up wanting to have a small squad but then sign a tonne of dross in the hope that some of them came good but would invariably have a moan about budget. We'd often have a first team of 26, 27 or 28 players, a bunch of whom would be cut loose after 6 months (hello Alex Fisher and Casper Sloth) or it'd be clear would be gone by the end of the season having barely kicked a baw.

Basically, what Robinson said and what he did were two different things. Which was weird to watch play out.

I posted this before on our thread but in the 3.5 years he was at the club he signed 55 different players. Feel free to take a look and decide for yourselves how many were hits/misses/meh.

Spoiler

Here's Robinson's signings to date (it's a long list - I've ommitted guys like Broque Watson and Neil McLaughlin we were Craigan signings for the Reserves, it'd debatable whether Harry Robinson should be in there either but he made a couple of first team appearances so let's keep him in):

17/18
Alex Fisher, Gael Bigirimana, Craig Tanner, Trevor Carson, Andy Rose, Russell Griffiths, Charles Dunne, Cedric Kipre, George Newell, Ellis Plummer, Rohan Ferguson, Deimantas Petravičius, Liam Grimshaw, Gennadios Xenodochof, Curtis Main, Peter Hartley (loan)/(permanent), Nadir Ciftci (loan), Tom Aldred (loan) x 2, Stephen Hendrie (loan)

Total = 19

18/19
Mark Gillespie, Liam Donnelly, Danny Johnson, Aaron Taylor-Sinclair, Alex Rodriguez-Gorrin, Christian Mbulu, Conor Sammon (loan), Ross McCormack (loan), Gboly Ariyibi (loan)

Total = 9

19/20
Declan Gallagher, Liam Polworth, Jake Carroll, Casper Sloth, Jermaine Hylton, Christopher Long, Sherwin Seedorf, Christian Ilic, Christy Manzinga, Ross MacIver, Bevis Mugabi, Tony Watt, Harry Robinson, Devante Cole (loan)/permanent, Mark O'Hara (loan/permanent), Mikael Ndjoli (loan), Rolando Aarons (loan) 

Total = 17

20/21
Ricki Lamie, Jordan White, Nathan McGinley, Scott Fox, Stephen O'Donnell, Aaron Chapman, Jordan Archer, Jake Hastie (loan), Callum Lang (loan), Robbie Crawford (loan)

Total = 10

So all in we've signed 55 different players over 3.5 seasons.

Edited by capt_oats

4 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

Which is ironic because it's the managers under pressure who are least likely to use the young players, and thus the cycle continues. TBH, as we limp into 'season over' territory, it'd be nice to give some of the younger guys a game, but they're all on loan in the seaside leagues.

Not always I remember in 2013/14 when we started the season badly it was the introduction of Kelly & Naismith that turned things round for us,  veering slightly offtopic I always felt Lennon's biggest assett as a manager was the ability to recognize when he'd got things wrong - who can forget the Summer of 69 Beath? 

5 hours ago, capt_oats said:

It's very standard Robinson patter tbf.

He ended up getting a bunch of our Young Motherwell into the side, made us a lot of money and deserves a ton of credit for that (despite the folk who are still raging he got the job and think he should have been playing Turnbull a year before he actually did).

He obviously did well with Campbell, Turnbull and Scott. There's an argument that Cadden regressed a bit under him while Barry Maguire's improved more under Alexander than he ever did playing for Robinson.

What was interesting about Robinson's approach to squad building with us was that he'd regularly talk up wanting to have a small squad but then sign a tonne of dross in the hope that some of them came good but would invariably have a moan about budget. We'd often have a first team of 26, 27 or 28 players, a bunch of whom would be cut loose after 6 months (hello Alex Fisher and Casper Sloth) or it'd be clear would be gone by the end of the season having barely kicked a baw.

Basically, what Robinson said and what he did were two different things. Which was weird to watch play out.

I posted this before on our thread but in the 3.5 years he was at the club he signed 55 different players. Feel free to take a look and decide for yourselves how many were hits/misses/meh.

Reveal hidden contents

Here's Robinson's signings to date (it's a long list - I've ommitted guys like Broque Watson and Neil McLaughlin we were Craigan signings for the Reserves, it'd debatable whether Harry Robinson should be in there either but he made a couple of first team appearances so let's keep him in):

17/18
Alex Fisher, Gael Bigirimana, Craig Tanner, Trevor Carson, Andy Rose, Russell Griffiths, Charles Dunne, Cedric Kipre, George Newell, Ellis Plummer, Rohan Ferguson, Deimantas Petravičius, Liam Grimshaw, Gennadios Xenodochof, Curtis Main, Peter Hartley (loan)/(permanent), Nadir Ciftci (loan), Tom Aldred (loan) x 2, Stephen Hendrie (loan)

Total = 19

18/19
Mark Gillespie, Liam Donnelly, Danny Johnson, Aaron Taylor-Sinclair, Alex Rodriguez-Gorrin, Christian Mbulu, Conor Sammon (loan), Ross McCormack (loan), Gboly Ariyibi (loan)

Total = 9

19/20
Declan Gallagher, Liam Polworth, Jake Carroll, Casper Sloth, Jermaine Hylton, Christopher Long, Sherwin Seedorf, Christian Ilic, Christy Manzinga, Ross MacIver, Bevis Mugabi, Tony Watt, Harry Robinson, Devante Cole (loan)/permanent, Mark O'Hara (loan/permanent), Mikael Ndjoli (loan), Rolando Aarons (loan) 

Total = 17

20/21
Ricki Lamie, Jordan White, Nathan McGinley, Scott Fox, Stephen O'Donnell, Aaron Chapman, Jordan Archer, Jake Hastie (loan), Callum Lang (loan), Robbie Crawford (loan)

Total = 10

So all in we've signed 55 different players over 3.5 seasons.

I've had a few drinks tonight, but I cannae determine if you're slagging him off or not. If he develops younger players, then that's good. Buying a load of duds, is clearly bad. 

One fault I have with Goodwin is that he didn't play our youngsters enough. Jay Henderson and Dylan Reid should be regulars as far as I'm concerned.

11 hours ago, Mr. Smith said:

I've had a few drinks tonight, but I cannae determine if you're slagging him off or not. If he develops younger players, then that's good. Buying a load of duds, is clearly bad. 

One fault I have with Goodwin is that he didn't play our youngsters enough. Jay Henderson and Dylan Reid should be regulars as far as I'm concerned.

:lol:

I wasn't slagging him, broadly speaking I'm a fan of the job Robinson did with us but both things are true; he gave a number of Academy players opportunities in the first team (it was Stephen Craigan who did the developing in the u20s) and he also signed a lot of dross, there was a remarkable amount of wastage on Robinson's watch.

Whether or not this was Robinson's approach or it was on direction from the club IDK but it felt like if he had say £3k p/w of a budget he'd prefer to sign 4 players on lower wages with the view he could develop 2 into better players and just cut the other 2 loose than just sign 2 good first team players on higher wages (the upshot being he'd point out we couldn't compete with those wages).

He did a long listen podcast with the club in November 19 it's worth a listen to see if any of it sounds familiar when it comes to squad/development stuff.

Edited by capt_oats