The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

1 hour ago, Lex said:

Happy with that signing. At 26 he is a good age, and he has over 200 appearances at this or equivalent level. Seems versatile too so will be a good addition for next year. This season is over really so all eyes on 2022/2023 now and that's a solid start. 

Famous last words

1 hour ago, Desp said:

Bit of both, to be honest (albeit not many players have been good enough this season).  He's had long spells out in every season he's been with us, but on his day he can be decent enough at our level.

When we signed him, I spoke to a couple of friends of mine (one a Dundee fan, one Killie) who both said the same thing.  "A headless chicken who'll pop up with the odd goal".  Two and a half years later, and that opinion still holds true.

So a bottom six level journeyman who tries really hard and might do ok if the stars align and he's able to get a run in the team in a system that suits him, but probably won't because he's always injured. Sounds like a St Mirren signing.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

A headless chicken who has no technical ability and relies on physicality, in terms of stamina/strength/height. A CM version of Curtis Main.

Robinsonball is starting to gain momentum.

This post is almost enough for me to believe that O'Hara will do a great job next season. 

Anyway, i can see Curtis doing a job next season in the Championship for the likes of the Farmers. 

O'Hara, can't say I know mich about of have even noticed that much. We do need something other than a holding centre mid though and he's most certainly going to be a downgrade on Ronan, but that'll be a hard act to follow.

Edited by djchapsticks

9 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

O'Hara, can't say I know mich about of have even noticed that much. We do need something other than a holding centre mid though and jess most certainly going to be a downgrade on Ronan, but that'll be a hard acto to follow.

I'd like to think O'Hara isn't being lined up as a direct replacement for Ronan.

The calls for Robinson to go are quote frankly fucking ridiculous and stupid. 

But then large sections of our fan base are ridiculous and stupid.

That being said, he won't get too many opportunities to get away with performances like the second half on Saturday. It was beyond awful. Every single person in the ground could see the momentum shift at half time and I dont think many could quite believe it took so long for him to react in any way to it. Then when he did react it was plainly wrong.

Curtis Main, not to make a scapegoat but Main is just wrong. Wrong guy, wrong club, wrong time. Many of us knew from the off that this a signing that was simply not going to work and it's been painful to be proven so overwhelmingly right. He's lazy, lumbering, slow, not interested and not good enough. The fact that Robinson appears to favour him over the far more impactful Grieve is pretty astounding and probably is buying into some supporters worries that he's making some awful decisions right at the start of his tenure. 

I counted 3 or 4 corners in the second half on Saturday where we collected the ball, Alnwick ran to front of the box to try and get a ball out to the man up the park only to realise that we'd gone with 11 men back each time. One of my pet hates, especially when chasing a goal or under pressure. It's not always about getting a man out there to hoof it to and get them in on goal, it's about releasing the pressure, keep the ball high up the park and give teammates incentive to break with you and in turn opposition players incentive to track back. Keeping a man up, at worst, is the outball that effectively breaks up a set piece attack.

11 men behind the ball always just invites a second or third ball back in. It's completely fucking infuriating to see.

Despite all this, we do need to see where it's going and how we progress. I hate the idea of being trigger happy. Stubbs was a toxic presence on the club almost instantly and had to be cut out. Robinson doesn't strike me as such. Quite likeable actually. So he needs to get the chance to put his own spin on it. He'll definitely get all of 2022 to do so unless something completely disastrous happens.

Edited by djchapsticks

He pretty much pulled us through the Cup win over Aberdeen. Certainly midfielder who tries to make things happen over a negative one. Has the same injury per game ratio as big Charlie Dunne.

Issue for us is Alexander seems to be losing the dressing room. There's now two groups of fans in the SPFL who wish Aberdeen came sniffing after him.

Now the season has moved on a bit, interested to know you guys thoughts on:

Richard Tait - Slow and prone to an error?

Lee Erwin - Any promise vanished long ago?

Curtin Main - Physical but no end product

Charlie Dunne - Likeable?

9 minutes ago, Kapowzer said:

He pretty much pulled us through the Cup win over Aberdeen. Certainly midfielder who tries to make things happen over a negative one. Has the same injury per game ratio as big Charlie Dunne.

Issue for us is Alexander seems to be losing the dressing room. There's now two groups of fans in the SPFL who wish Aberdeen came sniffing after him.

Tait - decent but getting older.

Erwin- terrible. 

Main-terrible.

Dunne- decent for the most part.

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

The calls for Robinson to go are quote frankly fucking ridiculous and stupid. 

But then large sections of our fan base are ridiculous and stupid.

That being said, he won't get too many opportunities to get away with performances like the second half on Saturday. It was beyond awful. Every single person in the ground could see the momentum shift at half time and I dont think many could quite believe it took so long for him to react in any way to it. Then when he did react it was plainly wrong.

Curtis Main, not to make a scapegoat but Main is just wrong. Wrong guy, wrong club, wrong time. Many of us knew from the off that this a signing that was simply not going to work and it's been painful to be proven so overwhelmingly right. He's lazy, lumbering, slow, not interested and not good enough. The fact that Robinson appears to favour him over the far more impactful Grieve is pretty astounding and probably is buying into some supporters worries that he's making some awful decisions right at the start of his tenure. 

I counted 3 or 4 corners in the second half on Saturday where we collected the ball, Alnwick ran to front of the box to try and get a ball out to the man up the park only to realise that we'd gone with 11 men back each time. One of my pet hates, especially when chasing a goal or under pressure. It's not always about getting a man out there to hoof it to and get them in on goal, it's about releasing the pressure, keep the ball high up the park and give teammates incentive to break with you and in turn opposition players incentive to track back. Keeping a man up, at worst, is the outball that effectively breaks up a set piece attack.

11 men behind the ball always just invites a second or third ball back in. It's completely fucking infuriating to see.

Despite all this, we do need to see where it's going and how we progress. I hate the idea of being trigger happy. Stubbs was a toxic presence on the club almost instantly and had to be cut out. Robinson doesn't strike me as such. Quite likeable actually. So he needs to get the chance to put his own spin on it. He'll definitely get all of 2022 to do so unless something completely disastrous happens.

I agree with the majority of the post. However, you mentioned it and a few others have too - is he really favouring Main over Greive?

Could be wrong, but the last four games Greive has been on the pitch before Main. I know Main started against Celtic, but not sure if some statto knows knows minutes played between the two since Robinson arrived?

He still made a c**t of it on Saturday, either way!

I'm not shouting for Robinson to be out, but given where we were when he came in, and how he's started, I think we have every right to be disappointed.

There's a big leap between that and asking for the guy to be punted.

You don't have to be a pro manager to know that the 2nd half against United was a disaster. Robinson absolutely had his part to play in that happening, so did the players.

On to more positive matters, I'm surprised at the signing of O'Hara, I can think of worse players to be getting on a free. Seems his relationship with Robinson is good so hopefully it works out in our favour.

I know very little about O'Hara. Not even sure what position he plays. one of the middle three in a 4-3-3*, by any chance?

* I did realise the one huge downside of that system, if it really is what Robinson prefers and is gearing up towards playing: it doesn't suit Kiltie at all. The boy needs to play number 10 or not at all, tbh.

1 hour ago, Kapowzer said:

Adding in OHara it’s a group of players not good enough for a rival in the same division. I’m struggling with Alexander at the moment but OHara was never going to make us better, another bottom four type player. 

2 hours ago, Munoz said:

This post is almost enough for me to believe that O'Hara will do a great job next season. 

Anyway, i can see Curtis doing a job next season in the Championship for the likes of the Farmers. 

Or us.

41 minutes ago, Munoz said:

But yet, exactly in the same position as yourselves- 36 points with a shite goal difference. 

It obviously works.

I believe he's just starting to implement it. Much to the annoyance of yer fans.

It was great in 17/18.