The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

1 hour ago, Mr. Smith said:

1) I'm not being obtuse, I simply have not seen a single call for Robinson to be sacked. You have stated that you 'despair at some sections of our fanbase' who believe that Robinson should be 'shown the door'...but I haven't seen any evidence of that, at all. None. Can you quote even one poster on here?

You are using semantics here, there have been quite a few dissenting voices, so when I say "the idea that..." it doesn't rely on people explicitly saying "Robinson must go".
That is where the allegation of any obtuseness comes from. You are not daft, you can see the point I'm making.

Certain sections of our fan base really are their own worst enemies. Not that I am including you in that, I am meaning in a broad brush sense. The only manager I would genuinely have hounded out the door was Stubbs who seemed unbelievably out of his depth, despite clearly have some experience with Hibs, yet we see constant moans from people who don't seem to realise that if we got shot of Robinson, not only would it not enhance any top 6 ambitions we have (and in truth I think they are gone now anyway) we would end up with Scott fucking Brown or Naismith, and I would wager large amounts of cash neither of those would end up being a better choice than Robinson.

2) I thought my point was obvious? Goodwin found a formation that had us winning, and Robinson changed it. That's a pretty stupid thing to do.

I'm not defending Robinson's tactical opinion, in fact I would say that it was worrying how he was not able to counter the changes made by United at half time. We were on top, but never came out for the remainder of the game and despite their changes happening at half time, it still took Robinson 10-15 minutes before making changes himself, and those changes certainly didn't help us. You have to question the mindset of the camp too, losing a manager and with many key players out of contract it's only natural that it's not all smooth sailing.

I seriously doubt you believe Robinson should be mandated to retain the same formation and line up that Goodwin had when he left, a formation it should be noted that took Goodwin 4 months plus to realise was better than his dreaded 3 at the back. For the first game he kept it the same but Ronan was red carded early. The next game he played 3 (well 5), then the very next game he played 4 at the back again. Against teams like Celtic and Rangers Goodwin could have played 5 at the back too, there is absolutely nothing to suggest he wouldn't end up lining up the same as Robinson did against Celtic, and likely will do against Rangers.

So, to clarify, Robinson should be allowed to change the formation, calling it "pretty stupid" seems to suggest you understand things better than Robinson does which, going by both of your management histories, doesn't seem to be the case. I expect him to make mistakes, Goodwin made plenty.

I didn't think it was particularly encouraging that Morecambe were fourth from bottom. I listened to the Motherwell fans, though, and agreed that he had a good record there, so I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.
Goodwin got us to two semi-finals last season, and we only missed out on a top-six spot on goal difference.
Robinson isn't likely to endear himself with the fans by telling them to 'f**k off'. 

Having sat in the main stand for best part of 20 years I can completely understand why a manager would tell them to f**k off. Some of the shouts are embarrassing and majority of the time don’t even make sense.

Not ideal granted, but don’t think we should be making a big deal about it.

If you would like to contribute to the database or enquire for access to the raw data please enquire at the email address above.

There's nothing to stop us making up next year's figures! 👿

Somebody on BAWA is now suggesting the police should intervene if supporters heckle Robinson. I heard there were a few sweary words, but I didn't know this potentially a criminal matter.

2 hours ago, Ric said:

You are using semantics here, there have been quite a few dissenting voices, so when I say "the idea that..." it doesn't rely on people explicitly saying "Robinson must go".
That is where the allegation of any obtuseness comes from. You are not daft, you can see the point I'm making.

Certain sections of our fan base really are their own worst enemies. Not that I am including you in that, I am meaning in a broad brush sense. The only manager I would genuinely have hounded out the door was Stubbs who seemed unbelievably out of his depth, despite clearly have some experience with Hibs, yet we see constant moans from people who don't seem to realise that if we got shot of Robinson, not only would it not enhance any top 6 ambitions we have (and in truth I think they are gone now anyway) we would end up with Scott fucking Brown or Naismith, and I would wager large amounts of cash neither of those would end up being a better choice than Robinson.

I'm not defending Robinson's tactical opinion, in fact I would say that it was worrying how he was not able to counter the changes made by United at half time. We were on top, but never came out for the remainder of the game and despite their changes happening at half time, it still took Robinson 10-15 minutes before making changes himself, and those changes certainly didn't help us. You have to question the mindset of the camp too, losing a manager and with many key players out of contract it's only natural that it's not all smooth sailing.

I seriously doubt you believe Robinson should be mandated to retain the same formation and line up that Goodwin had when he left, a formation it should be noted that took Goodwin 4 months plus to realise was better than his dreaded 3 at the back. For the first game he kept it the same but Ronan was red carded early. The next game he played 3 (well 5), then the very next game he played 4 at the back again. Against teams like Celtic and Rangers Goodwin could have played 5 at the back too, there is absolutely nothing to suggest he wouldn't end up lining up the same as Robinson did against Celtic, and likely will do against Rangers.

So, to clarify, Robinson should be allowed to change the formation, calling it "pretty stupid" seems to suggest you understand things better than Robinson does which, going by both of your management histories, doesn't seem to be the case. I expect him to make mistakes, Goodwin made plenty.

Apologies, it seems you are right.

1753698899_Screenshot2022-03-2114_50_02.png.5f28bd4c8ca8c35986f3809a1139cd47.png

1964479734_Screenshot2022-03-2114_52_52.png.a7a852aa9d02f00c4bb31d888cdd4fdd.png

For the record, I don't think he should be sacked. However, if the form continues like this, then obviously he needs to go come the summer. For those that think that's hasty, consider that we will be playing the five worst teams in the league after the split.

The players that we have are not that bad, Connor's just been called up to the Republic of Ireland squad.

Its a shame the current manager is taking the pent up rage we had under our previous manager but we never really let it out under Goodwin, even when we went on some poor runs. He did get away with a lot which other managers certainly wouldn't have. 

Robinsons record isn't worth shouting about so far but as I said at the time, losing our manager when we did felt like it took a lot of wind out of our sails and I think it's proven to be true. Again that isn't Robinsons fault.

Talk of getting rid of him already is very very premature. He has to be given time in the summer to put his own mark on the team with all the players that will be leaving, barring an absolute disastrous end to the season if we somehow managed to go down. 

Folk that weren't keen on Goodwins direct style of play will be absolutely seething though.

1 hour ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Its a shame the current manager is taking the pent up rage we had under our previous manager but we never really let it out under Goodwin, even when we went on some poor runs. He did get away with a lot which other managers certainly wouldn't have. 

Robinsons record isn't worth shouting about so far but as I said at the time, losing our manager when we did felt like it took a lot of wind out of our sails and I think it's proven to be true. Again that isn't Robinsons fault.

Talk of getting rid of him already is very very premature. He has to be given time in the summer to put his own mark on the team with all the players that will be leaving, barring an absolute disastrous end to the season if we somehow managed to go down

Folk that weren't keen on Goodwins direct style of play will be absolutely seething though.

So if we scraped tenth place by a point, you wouldn't bin him? What if we survived via a play-off? 

Sorry, I don't subscribe to the notion that he 'must be given his own players'. If he can't at least manage respectable performances against the five worst clubs in the league, then he should be gone. Fair enough, give him more time, but he needs to be able to show he's got some managerial skills. 

Apologies, it seems you are right.

1753698899_Screenshot2022-03-2114_50_02.png.5f28bd4c8ca8c35986f3809a1139cd47.png

1964479734_Screenshot2022-03-2114_52_52.png.a7a852aa9d02f00c4bb31d888cdd4fdd.png

For the record, I don't think he should be sacked. However, if the form continues like this, then obviously he needs to go come the summer. For those that think that's hasty, consider that we will be playing the five worst teams in the league after the split.

The players that we have are not that bad, Connor's just been called up to the Republic of Ireland squad.

Worth mentioning that bizarro second account there spent at least 3 years complaining about Tommy Wright being St Johnstone manager.

More than likely he's just got a shtick.

5 minutes ago, Desp said:

Looks like Robbo's getting the old band back together.  Mark O'Hara on his way.

Has he been injured , or is he not good enough to claim a regular place this season ?

Just now, billyg said:

Has he been injured , or is he not good enough to claim a regular place this season ?

Bit of both, to be honest (albeit not many players have been good enough this season).  He's had long spells out in every season he's been with us, but on his day he can be decent enough at our level.

When we signed him, I spoke to a couple of friends of mine (one a Dundee fan, one Killie) who both said the same thing.  "A headless chicken who'll pop up with the odd goal".  Two and a half years later, and that opinion still holds true.

3 minutes ago, Desp said:

Bit of both, to be honest (albeit not many players have been good enough this season).  He's had long spells out in every season he's been with us, but on his day he can be decent enough at our level.

When we signed him, I spoke to a couple of friends of mine (one a Dundee fan, one Killie) who both said the same thing.  "A headless chicken who'll pop up with the odd goal".  Two and a half years later, and that opinion still holds true.

Yes ,  think most of his goals , the one's I've seen , have been late runs into the box. 

Happy with that signing. At 26 he is a good age, and he has over 200 appearances at this or equivalent level. Seems versatile too so will be a good addition for next year. This season is over really so all eyes on 2022/2023 now and that's a solid start. 

A headless chicken who has no technical ability and relies on physicality, in terms of stamina/strength/height. A CM version of Curtis Main.

Robinsonball is starting to gain momentum.