The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Wasn’t pretty, but job done tonight. Clean sheet and three points, good. The middle of the table is mental.
IMG_8080.jpg
Four teams on 36 points and two on 37. Six teams going for three top six spots.
IMG_8081.jpg
The three games we have pre split. Six points will do it, beat Dundee Utd and Motherwell and job done. Five points should do it but we will need to get something against Rangers for that. Four points could do it but will be relying on results elsewhere going our way for that and with our inferior goal difference it’s unlikely to be enough. Three points or less and we won’t make it.
Still in the mix at least and it could go either way. Now for the really important stuff, the Scottish Cup…

Wasn’t pretty, but job done tonight. Clean sheet and three points, good. The middle of the table is mental.
IMG_8080.jpg.9cee3dd63bec1b44e5938757276a17b9.jpg
Four teams on 36 points and two on 37. Six teams going for three top six spots.
IMG_8081.jpg.f309e617f1f43c5d9a77411451c34c5f.jpg
The three games we have pre split. Six points will do it, beat Dundee Utd and Motherwell and job done. Five points should do it but we will need to get something against Rangers for that. Four points could do it but will be relying on results elsewhere going our way for that and with our inferior goal difference it’s unlikely to be enough. Three points or less and we won’t make it.
Still in the mix at least and it could go either way. Now for the really important stuff, the Scottish Cup…
We will know what's required if still in the mix at game 33 as we play Sunday.

To be honest, I don't think we are going to get top six now, I think we've left ourselves with a bit too much to do. Realistically we need to beat both Dundee United and Motherwell, especially considering our horrendous goal difference. I could see us taking 3 or 4 points, but not all 6. I think we blew it in Dingwall unfortunately. Even a draw there would have had us in a good position.

49 minutes ago, GAD said:

To be honest, I don't think we are going to get top six now, I think we've left ourselves with a bit too much to do. Realistically we need to beat both Dundee United and Motherwell, especially considering our horrendous goal difference. I could see us taking 3 or 4 points, but not all 6. I think we blew it in Dingwall unfortunately. Even a draw there would have had us in a good position.

Yeah, the Dingwall slip will look costly. Obviously that alone isn't to blame: I'd say Dundee at home was a way worse result, for example, but I can't see us hitting the 42 point mark now, and our -GD isn't helping either.

2 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

Yeah, the Dingwall slip will look costly. Obviously that alone isn't to blame: I'd say Dundee at home was a way worse result, for example, but I can't see us hitting the 42 point mark now, and our -GD isn't helping either.

Dundee at home, Tait fcuking up in the last minute against Motherwell… never mind, lifting the Scottish Cup as bottom 6 pond life will be all the sweeter. 🤪

Remaining fixtures of the six teams going for three top six spots:

Dundee Utd

• St Mirren (a) Hibs (a) Dundee (h)

Hibs

• Aberdeen (a) Dundee Utd (h) Hearts (a)

Livingston

• Hearts (a) St Johnstone (a) Motherwell (h)

Motherwell

• St Johnstone (a) St Mirren (h) Livingston (a)

Ross County

• Celtic (a) Hearts (h) Aberdeen (a)

St Mirren

• Dundee Utd (h) Motherwell (a) Rangers (h)

County with the hardest run of games, hard to see them getting more than three points there, will be generous and give them that to put them on 39. Hibs not with an easy run either, three draws for them and 40 points.  United with a more generous run, will give them five points and that puts them on 41. Fancy Livi to get six points from their three games to give them 42. Motherwell haven't won since before i can remember, will give them four points and 40. Given our goal difference 40 points is almost certainly not going to be enough. We got 40 points after 33 games last year and missed out on GD, i think it might happen again. TL;DR: we need five points or more from the three remaining games to get top six.

In saying all that, i'm not that arsed if we finish 6th or 7th. Doesn't make much of a difference and having the cigars out for the relegation dogfight is quite fun. Enjoyed that game at RP last year when we drew 3-3 and helped send Killie down, for example. Also bottom six means we avoid two further unpleasant encounters with the OF. The possibility off fourth and Europe is what makes top six really appealing. 

Huge win for the manager last night and obviously for the players and fans too. Had we not won I fear some would have turned on him already as it wasn't a great performance, albeit we should have been out of sight.

It was maybe one thing lacking with Jay earlier on in the season, his final ball let him down but that ball in last night was a thing of beauty, Beckham would have been proud of that assist, and the finish was excellent. Had that fell to Main, Erwin or even Brophy, I doubt they'd have scored that. Suppose it was harder to miss given how good the cross was. 

2 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Huge win for the manager last night and obviously for the players and fans too. Had we not won I fear some would have turned on him already as it wasn't a great performance, albeit we should have been out of sight.

I thought that, he was getting a fair amount of stick for not making subs yesterday then again when he brought on Grieve for Brophy instead of playing the two together. He has said a couple of strange things in the media like saying he’s not put his own stamp on the team yet had ripped up the formation that had worked for us since Christmas & has brought in Main and Tait for a lot more game time than they were previously getting. I think the disruption over the past month has probably derailed our season and while we are in with a shout of top 6, I don’t expect it. An extended cup run past Saturday would be great. 

The time for judging Robinson, and inevitably getting on his back, will be next season and seeing what he does the squad - hopefully not papping Marcus Fraser as he seems to be doing in favour of Tait at the moment. 

The time for judging Robinson, and inevitably getting on his back, will be next season and seeing what he does the squad - hopefully not papping Marcus Fraser as he seems to be doing in favour of Tait at the moment. 

Agree with both of these. In all likliehood we will go out the cup on Saturday and we won’t make top six and our season will be over by the 10th April. But we can’t judge Robinson on that, it’s not his team. His report card is due in around Christmas time.
He needs to get Fraser back in the team for Saturday though, I like Tait and I was glad he extended his contract. He’s the archetypal solid squad player, versatile and with a good attitude. Apparently he’s been helping out with the fitness training since Junior left too, think he’s got some qualifications in that side of things. He’s an asset to the club, but he shouldn’t be starting games if Fraser and Tanser are available. He’s simply not as good as either of them.

1 hour ago, Lex said:

He needs to get Fraser back in the team for Saturday though, I like Tait and I was glad he extended his contract. He’s the archetypal solid squad player, versatile and with a good attitude. Apparently he’s been helping out with the fitness training since Junior left too, think he’s got some qualifications in that side of things. He’s an asset to the club, but he shouldn’t be starting games if Fraser and Tanser are available. He’s simply not as good as either of them.

Wholeheartedly agree with this. Tait is more of a warrior than Fraser but is as slow as a week in the jail. Fraser an all round better player

Remaining fixtures of the six teams going for three top six spots:
Dundee Utd
  • St Mirren (a) Hibs (a) Dundee (h)
Hibs
  • Aberdeen (a) Dundee Utd (h) Hearts (a)
Livingston
  • Hearts (a) St Johnstone (a) Motherwell (h)
Motherwell
  • St Johnstone (a) St Mirren (h) Livingston (a)
Ross County
  • Celtic (a) Hearts (h) Aberdeen (a)
St Mirren
  • Dundee Utd (h) Motherwell (a) Rangers (h)
County with the hardest run of games, hard to see them getting more than three points there, will be generous and give them that to put them on 39. Hibs not with an easy run either, three draws for them and 40 points.  United with a more generous run, will give them five points and that puts them on 41. Fancy Livi to get six points from their three games to give them 42. Motherwell haven't won since before i can remember, will give them four points and 40. Given our goal difference 40 points is almost certainly not going to be enough. We got 40 points after 33 games last year and missed out on GD, i think it might happen again. TL;DR: we need five points or more from the three remaining games to get top six.
In saying all that, i'm not that arsed if we finish 6th or 7th. Doesn't make much of a difference and having the cigars out for the relegation dogfight is quite fun. Enjoyed that game at RP last year when we drew 3-3 and helped send Killie down, for example. Also bottom six means we avoid two further unpleasant encounters with the OF. The possibility off fourth and Europe is what makes top six really appealing. 
Some quirk of fate that all the clubs in the mix with 3 games to go all have 2 away and 1 at home.

1 hour ago, Billy Jean King said:
16 hours ago, Lex said:

Some quirk of fate that all the clubs in the mix with 3 games to go all have 2 away and 1 at home.

Apart from us 😉

Bottom six and maybe some enjoyment from relegating Dundee and seeing Muttley’s face? Top six and an ugly sister winning the title on our patch with associated cuntery?

Bottom six please*

*Bring on the Aberdeen.

1 hour ago, pozbaird said:

Bottom six and maybe some enjoyment from relegating Dundee and seeing Muttley’s face? Top six and an ugly sister winning the title on our patch with associated cuntery?

Bottom six please*

Bring on the Aberdeen.

After repeated failures to beat a Jack Ross side, it'd be quite nice to put one over a Jim Goodwin one.

Unpopular opinion but I’m a bit bewildered with folk wanting Fraser back in the team. He was due a spell out of the team as his performances prior to the new man dropping him, were honking. He’s a decent enough defender but offers little or nothing in an attacking sense.

Only my opinion and I guess other folk will see it different.

32 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

Unpopular opinion but I’m a bit bewildered with folk wanting Fraser back in the team. He was due a spell out of the team as his performances prior to the new man dropping him, were honking. He’s a decent enough defender but offers little or nothing in an attacking sense.

Only my opinion and I guess other folk will see it different.

He definitely struggled on the left side of the back 3, but I thought he looked OK in the back four and gets forward OK. I think he's a bit quicker than Tait as well, and possibly a slightly better defender. Tait is OK as well, solid enough. I think he's a bit more dangerous in the opposition box than Fraser. I don't think there is much in it to be honest, they've both had good games and bad games, and both cost and saved us goals this season. I actually think what might have done it for Fraser a wee bit was that wild tackle against Hearts where he should have been sent off, just before Ronan was.