The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

I can sort of see his point in the sense that he didn't want to come in and rock the boat too much. The starting 11 generally picks itself (including Fraser for me but he has been a tad off recently).

Back 5 at Parkhead. Sure yeah if it pays off and we get a 0-0 so be it. Surely he seen it with his own eyes when we went to a back 4 how much things improved for us. Surely the coaching team that were here under JG explained where it went wrong in the previous poor run.

That being said Ronan was a huge miss today. I expect some changes for the Dundee game and if Robinson is going to put his own stamp on it now great. Go for it. I don't know what that means exactly but should we be shining up the hammers we are about to throw? If it gets us top 6 I don't think any of us will care how we play.

1 hour ago, Norrie82 said:

He clearly has changed the formation.that today was as bad as I’ve seen us and we have resorted to the same crap tactics that saw us go three months without a win

To be honest it's as if he is just in the door . Oh aye he is.. At least he now knows he needs to put his style into the team. Robinson ( hope that's OK Poz ) . Anyway I for one have faith in the new manager it will come good. This is not Robinson ( hope that's OK Poz )  team it's Goodwin so chill out Saints fans let the manager find his feet. 

9 minutes ago, Captain Saintsible said:

I’d sack him now, Stubbs style. Bad appointment.

Cut our losses now 

Is that a sea rod or a fresh water rod ? For sure you will get bites a lot of Saints fans spitting the dummy out firing shit at fellow St Mirren fans . No different from the old firm in many ways . Then you bump into each other and everything is wonderful no Bullshit one town one team your long lost mates united  until you go online ha ha ha ha ! 

3 hours ago, ZingaliMan said:

To be honest it's as if he is just in the door . Oh aye he is.. At least he now knows he needs to put his style into the team. Robinson ( hope that's OK Poz ) . Anyway I for one have faith in the new manager it will come good. This is not Robinson ( hope that's OK Poz )  team it's Goodwin so chill out Saints fans let the manager find his feet. 

Yes, thank you. Very happy with Robinson over ‘Robson’ or ‘Robison’. Less happy with a manager who comes into a team that have ditched 3-5-2. are doing pretty well, aren’t missing Jamie McGrath much, then reverts to a back three, plays that fcuking lump of wood Main, and in a blink of an eye, sees the short lived feelgood factor flushed straight down the U-Bend. Does this mean I think Robinson is the new Stubbs? No. Jim Goodwin is doing equally poorly at Aberdeen. Does this mean I think Goodwin is a dud? No.

However, Robinson needs to show me something to suggest that prior to his interview, he had actually fcuking watched us, and was aware of what his predecessor had tried, and ditched. Ball is in his court. Starting next midweek.

6 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Hes said after the game today that hes going to "put his own stamp on it" now, as up until now hes "just been doing what worked before" for the club.

You can take from that what you will.

Patently not true.

He has gone 3-5-2/5-3-2. What worked since turn of year was 4-2-3-1.

He introduced Curtis Main to utter ineffectiveness in the last two matches. He brings on Brophy who he then stuck on the right wing for some fucking reason.

I'm willing to give him a chance and then some. The fact that some folk are unhappy with him after 3 matches, 2 of which were against 2 of the 3 best teams in the country is just silly but he certainly cannot hide behind the excuse that he was not changing a formula, as anyone who watched St. Mirren regularly before and after the turn of the year will quickly call that out as a load of shite. 

39 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Patently not true.

He introduced Curtis Main to utter ineffectiveness in the last two matches. He brings on Brophy who he then stuck on the right wing for some fucking reason.

I'm willing to give him a chance and then some. The fact that some folk are unhappy with him after 3 matches, 2 of which were against 2 of the 3 best teams in the country is just silly but he certainly cannot hide behind the excuse that he was not changing a formula, as anyone who watched St. Mirren regularly before and after the turn of the year will quickly call that out as a load of shite. 

Indeed.

Robinson is reverting to the mistakes that Goodwin was making in the first part of the season.

It’s been a hard start, granted, so we’ll see how it goes.

I hope I’m wrong but I see our season fizzling out.

Robinson will have us struggling next season then will get the boot.

He’s a poor appointment… and I’m just saying out loud what everyone else really thinks 😉

A night on the bud or otherwise 

5 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Patently not true.

Exceptional post.

It's the manner of the defeats that's concerning. We haven't threatened the opposition goal at all in the last 3 games. Granted one of them is away at Parkhead.

Formation and substitutions didn't fill me with confidence. Why Main comes on ahead of Brophy is utterly baffling. 

23 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

It's the manner of the defeats that's concerning. We haven't threatened the opposition goal at all in the last 3 games. Granted one of them is away at Parkhead.

Formation and substitutions didn't fill me with confidence. Why Main comes on ahead of Brophy is utterly baffling. 

IMO Main tries hard but is utter shite, Brophy is equally as bad without the effort yet seems to get a free pass.

1 minute ago, Wardog said:

IMO Main tries hard but is utter shite, Brophy is equally as bad without the effort yet seems to get a free pass.

Brophy at least carries some sort of goal threat. He's got 6 goals so far this season. Has Main scored? He scored against Dunfermline in the league cup but I think that's it. 

I don't believe Main tries hard.

He saunters about up top when the opposition defence have thd ball. Greive and Brophy will run about trying to close players down - Main goes through the motions. Main constantly waits for the ball instead of going to it. He seems glued to his marker and looks if he cannot be bothered trying to find the essential yard of space a striker needs. There is no movement from him and he looks lazy and is completely ineffective.

1 hour ago, houston_bud said:

The only time Main has in his career even resembled a footballer has been under Robinson at Motherwell. My fear is that Robinson will think he can repeat this feat, which I seriously doubt is possible.

There were so many things wrong with yesterday. Playing three centre half's when County only play one very ineffective centre forward? Meant our spare players were at the back when we really needed an extra body in central midfield. Imagine losing a midfield battle to a side with Callaghan, Tillson and that loathsome p***k Paton in there?

Also not sure what Marcus Fraser has done to be dropped - he's generally a good, solid performer for us. 

With Ronan back in midweek, hopefully get back to 4-2-3-1. If we play some bizarre formation and selection against a covid hit side at the bottom of the league, then we'd be as well writing off the season.

I'll no doubt be corrected, but I think Robinsons Motherwell were generally always 4-3-3 with a holding midfielder. Values "fight" over ability.

You'll likely end up playing a midfield of Gogic, Power and Erhahon at some point with Main on his own up front.

11 hours ago, houston_bud said:

Brophy at least carries some sort of goal threat. He's got 6 goals so far this season. Has Main scored? He scored against Dunfermline in the league cup but I think that's it. 

Main is absolutely useless. I can't think of anything he brings to the team, he doesn't even hold the ball up well, but loses it most of the time. He's worse than being a man down. I hate to be negative, but that's the unvarnished truth of the matter.

ETA: the club are now running buses to the game.

https://www.stmirren.com/fans-news/4343-club-to-run-buses-to-tynecastle-for-quarter-final

Edited by Mr. Smith