The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

1 hour ago, GAD said:

Yeah, but there is a difference between a guy with a decent release fee choosing to go when the big team comes knocking, and a guy with a small release clause hawking himself to any job that comes up. I can't see Ross agreeing to anything that stops him walking at the drop of a hat, which is fine, but it's a risk for us that the board understandably may not want to take.

If that is Ross's view, then he is making a massive mistake. He's been in management less than 6 years and already has had 4 jobs. He can continue to be some sort of agency football manager, flitting from one job to the next, but what he really needs is to immerse himself in a club, take on a project that he'll see from start to finish. 

4 minutes ago, Torfason said:

Captain Jean-Luc Picard reacts to the news that Double winning St Johnstone could be playing in the Championship next season. 

Reckon they'll be OK. They've only lost one in their last six, which was to a far superior St. Mirren side but they are managing to now scrape points against shite like Aberdeen and Hearts.

4 hours ago, Stu said:

On the plus side, Naismith does have this going for him.

0B548C41-37E3-4A2D-98AC-06E24143D708.thumb.png.0ed8c97de855ad1d847b6412a51f7114.png

He also helps out local homeless with his mum and drove an original Mini at Everton. 

Hopefully he doesn’t become St Mirren manager but I have heard he is a decent lad…………..

Edited by Torfason

He wouldn't be my choice but Naismith at least has more coaching experience than Brown. Maybe I'm naive but the link with his dad and Kibble doesn't worry me too much. In fact, the possibility it might make some of the anti-Kibble folk self-combust with rage is a major positive for me.

24 minutes ago, Stu said:

He wouldn't be my choice but Naismith at least has more coaching experience than Brown. Maybe I'm naive but the link with his dad and Kibble doesn't worry me too much. In fact, the possibility it might make some of the anti-Kibble folk self-combust with rage is a major positive for me.

Thing is, it won't go through without majority of board support so if he's not giving a good account, they won't press it over the line.

JR is definitely interested and there is definitely interest from the board towards JR but not unanimously so, at least not currently. Given this, I still don't see past Jack being back in the dugout.

At least Naismith has “management”
Experience with hearts youth team, and by all accounts is apparently doing pretty well.

I’d also like to think Clarke wouldn’t have him in the Scotland setup unless he relatively decent!

Obviously being a good coach doesn’t necessarily translate into being a good
Manager, but certainly a better (albeit risky) option that some of the names being banded about.

7 hours ago, Torfason said:

He also helps out local homeless with his mum and drove an original Mini at Everton. 

Hopefully he doesn’t become St Mirren manager but I have heard he is a decent lad…………..

Aye he does a lot for charity. Seems like a very good person indeed. Its nothing against him or even Scott Brown but I'd rather these guys had a couple of years experience managing lower league clubs. It would be crazy with the position we are in at the moment to give it to a complete novice.

If JR wants it give it to him. Its that simple. 

6 minutes ago, Silvio said:

If his name wasn't Steven Naismith I think most folk would look at his credentials and would be happy enough.

Still hoping for Jack Ross though, although it sounds like his wage demands are ridiculous. Maybe sort something short term.

What credentials though? He has for a couple of years coaching fair enough but that is a completely different thing to managing. Look at Stephen Glass. In fact I've just looked it up, he's been the Hearts under 18s head coach since December, on top of his previous coaching experience. Just not enough for me.

Again if he managed a Dumbarton, Alloa, Stranraer for a couple of years and done well enough I'd say yeah fair dos give him a shot. Same with Brown. 

We done it before with Gary Teale, we were in serious danger anyway that season but that killed it for us and we didn't even keep him on as manager when we were relegated.

48 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Thing is, it won't go through without majority of board support so if he's not giving a good account, they won't press it over the line.

JR is definitely interested and there is definitely interest from the board towards JR but not unanimously so, at least not currently. Given this, I still don't see past Jack being back in the dugout.

Quite surprised to read Robert Grieve claiming we have yet to speak to Ross. With him being out of work, would have thought we'd have sounded him out just to see if he was interested towards the end of last week when it was becoming increasingly obvious Goodwin was on his way.

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Quite surprised to read Robert Grieve claiming we have yet to speak to Ross. With him being out of work, would have thought we'd have sounded him out just to see if he was interested towards the end of last week when it was becoming increasingly obvious Goodwin was on his way.

Possibly as he was in the running for the Aberdeen job? If Ross was interviewed on Thursday, we may have been hoping he was first choice. 

I remember giving Naismith absolute pelters for being a diving kunt against us, and generally being a snide wee shite who liked dishing out the sneaky kicks to an opponent’s legs, or have elbows that strangely swung towards opponents nappers.… but not being happy when it was coming in his direction.

None of that matters though if he gets the gig*

*and does OK. 😃

2 hours ago, Stu said:

It's  rumoured  he is on garden leave with Hibs till the end of the season I find that hard to believe but it came up when Aberdeen were looking for a manager.  

5 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

Let’s not forget James McFadden was one time part of the Scotland set up. It’s not an indicator for quality. 

Of all the names mentioned Naismith does it for me also will have good contacts more that Brown  for instance.  Ross is the safe option but he is  a mercenary 4 clubs in 6 years. 

5 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

There is the hope that Ross might have had his wings clipped slightly by his sackings. 

You'd also like to think he's got a better idea of the caliber of player required at this level than perhaps he did before. *Glances sideways at Kellermann*

He was also part of the disruption regarding bonuses for the cup final. He got his chance with us we should both move on .